Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice on buying a car.

2»

Comments

• Options

cabbles said:

Don't buy a second hand one. Lease a new one

Just in the process of getting a new one myself.

I'm torn between buying or leasing.
    Do you want an audi a3 :wink:
    cabbles said:

I'm after something a bit bigger for myself, the wife is in the market for a car as well so thought the A3 might be on interest to her, she's hell bent on an Alfa Giulietta.

Instead if an Audi or Alfa, get a Honda or Toyota - far more reliable.
  • Options
    Get the Audi

Honda are reliable but juicy as fuck
  • Options
    Buy a Hyundai or a Kia really long warranties 5 or 7 years, not too un-stylish better than a Toyota in my view. They back up their reliability with better warranties.
  • Options
    If looking for a zafira tourer have you considered a Renault Grand Scenic? Loved ours until wife took on a bus at a roundabout and lost. Has 3 independent seats in back so easily fit two child seats/boosters and have room for an adult in back with them too. Plus option of another two seats behind those too.
  • Options
    How about Car Giant Buckshee? Big selection.
  • Options
    All about budget ET , probably got about £8.5k to spend.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If looking for a zafira tourer have you considered a Renault Grand Scenic? Loved ours until wife took on a bus at a roundabout and lost. Has 3 independent seats in back so easily fit two child seats/boosters and have room for an adult in back with them too. Plus option of another two seats behind those too.

Hadn't looked at that before to be honest. Just seen one on auto trader not a million miles from us well within our price range. Might check it out.
  • Options
    Been trying to offload my old seat cordoba ... actually giving it away. Its got a good few years life left in it, but everyone thinks it must be dodgy!!!
  • Options

How about Car Giant Buckshee? Big selection.

Second this. Had our last two cars from them. Genuine no pressure sales, they give you the keys and ask for some feedback when you hand them back and thats it.

They have so much stock and shift so many cars that their margin is really low and the prices are excellent.

If you do go down thia route put aside a whole day and go midweek. Aim to be there for opening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I'm after something a bit bigger for myself, the wife is in the market for a car as well so thought the A3 might be on interest to her, she's hell bent on an Alfa Giulietta.
    Instead if an Audi or Alfa, get a Honda or Toyota - far more reliable.

She's gone for the Alfa.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MrOneLung said:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603302460067/usedcars?logcode=visc
  • Options
    Anyone know or dealt with these people http://www.newregcars.co.uk/?

Prices seem good, but I don't know how trustworthy the claims are.
  • Options
    Looks like we're going down the car giant route , they seem the most trustworthy .
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Dazzler21 said:

Hmm pay £200 a month for a car I don't own... Not sure i'd fancy that.
    Why on earth would you want to actually own a car ? Money down the drain. if it's a second hand car and anything goes wrong outside the initial warranty period (assuming it's not a private sale) then it's down to you. £200 a month to lease ? A purchased new car will depreciate quicker than that. Lease one and its brand spanking new, everything is under warranty, more often than not the servicing is free and after 2 or 3 years you chuck it back and get another brand spanking new one while the bloke who bought his outright will generally still be driving his for a few more years, paying through the nose to repair it as more and more things start to go wrong.
    I have the motorbike so needed a run around, didn't have £200 pcm to spend on a motor.

So you see I bought one of these:

90,000 miles on the clock

New Alloys
    New Tires
    Suspension good,
    Paintwork good,
    Drives well for a small FWD car.
    It was clear on hidden past, had full service history and is a decent runner.

The only negatives were it needed £100 spent on getting the AC fixed & recharged and a bit of stitching on the drivers seat.

I paid £50.00 for it in March, it still runs like a dream.

That's not a typo by the way... It was only FIFTY POUNDS...

It has already taken me to Bristol, Wales and Cornwall from the Gatwick area and has done really well.

p.s this wonderful hairdresser car isn't my one, this one is on auto trader at £725
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Hmm pay £200 a month for a car I don't own... Not sure i'd fancy that.
    Why on earth would you want to actually own a car ? Money down the drain. if it's a second hand car and anything goes wrong outside the initial warranty period (assuming it's not a private sale) then it's down to you. £200 a month to lease ? A purchased new car will depreciate quicker than that. Lease one and its brand spanking new, everything is under warranty, more often than not the servicing is free and after 2 or 3 years you chuck it back and get another brand spanking new one while the bloke who bought his outright will generally still be driving his for a few more years, paying through the nose to repair it as more and more things start to go wrong.
    I have the motorbike so needed a run around, didn't have £200 pcm to spend on a motor.

So you see I bought one of these:

90,000 miles on the clock

New Alloys
    New Tires
    Suspension good,
    Paintwork good,
    Drives well for a small FWD car.
    It was clear on hidden past, had full service history and is a decent runner.

The only negatives were it needed £100 spent on getting the AC fixed & recharged and a bit of stitching on the drivers seat.

I paid £50.00 for it in March, it still runs like a dream.

That's not a typo by the way... It was only FIFTY POUNDS...

It has already taken me to Bristol, Wales and Cornwall from the Gatwick area and has done really well.

p.s this wonderful hairdresser car isn't my one, this one is on auto trader at £725
    Why would anybody sell it for only £50 ? Run its details through a site like we buy any car and see what they would give you for it.
  • Options
    Dead body in the boot ?
  • Options

Dead body in the boot ?

Just the two I had to dispose of myself.

It was £50 from a good family friend. Wouldnt ever use we buy any car.

That place is the biggest scam out there.
  • Options
    Can recommend car giant
    Brought a mini Cooper s from them good £1500 cheaper than main dealer
    Got it home next day found problem with stereo rang them back explained I lived in Kent
    And they told me to get a new one fitted(but dont take the p**s)which I did and they refunded my cash within a week
    Can't say farer than that
  • Options

Can recommend car giant
    Got it home next day found problem with stereo rang them back explained I lived in Kent
    And they told me to get a new one fitted(but dont take the p**s)which I did and they refunded my cash within a week

Have heard quite a few stories like this. We bought our Seat Leon from them and on the test drive the rear brakes were producing a very slight metalic rub - it was rust on the discs where it had been standing for a while. They took it straight back to the workshop and put four new discs on and replaced the pads as well.

They absolutely rely on high volume sales and will do everything to ensure their reputation isn't tarnished.

Said it before I like that they have so much choice and that salesman doesn't come near you until after the test drive, if you say not interested after the test they'll ask for a generic reason and thats it. They give you the keys when you choose something to have a proper look at.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can recommend car giant

Have heard quite a few stories like this. We bought our Seat Leon from them and on the test drive the rear brakes were producing a very slight metalic rub - it was rust on the discs where it had been standing for a while. They took it straight back to the workshop and put four new discs on and replaced the pads as well.

They absolutely rely on high volume sales and will do everything to ensure their reputation isn't tarnished.

Said it before I like that they have so much choice and that salesman doesn't come near you until after the test drive, if you say not interested after the test they'll ask for a generic reason and thats it. They give you the keys when you choose something to have a proper look at.
    Couldn't agree more. Purchased my last two cars from them.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    dont know if you have already sorted out a motor but consider a reputable car auction site like Aston Barclay Group Chelmsford and other locations see link below, with your budget you should be able to pick up a low mileage fleet model with remaining warranty so peace of mind in your investment, usually service records are on display or in service book in car, I have bought many a vehicle this way over the years and always got good value. You can search online at most other sites for upcoming sales and search for your specific vehicle then get yourself there a day or so before the auction and check out the car externally in the store area. I did a quick search for you and the link should bring up zafira coming up in sales over next few weeks,

2nd one down looks decent

https://www.astonbarclay.net/vehicle-search/

good luck anyway and if you have any questions pm me

• Options

Can recommend car giant

These days one of the best ways of checking a company out is by having a look at their twitter feed and the posts to them. Car giant has very few bad ones and most are really petty (someone complained that a dust cap was missing on the wheel!) and all are responded to pretty quickly.

• Options
    We also bought our last but one car from them and no problems.

No hard sell or anything but prices are not very negotiable.

All the people carrier type cars are all together in one place