Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Social Media Clense

Evening everyone. Recently I realized that social media has been totally dragging me down. Every time I'm on it I can't help but feel depressed and this has caused my stress level to skyrocket. With the exception of Charlton Life (as it does not have the same effect), I have decided to take a break from all of my major social media accounts until I can feel happy again. I'd just like to know, has anyone ever done this? And if so did it actually help?

Comments

• I'll tweet you
  • edited July 2016
    Thought this was going to be another Katrien miere requested Internet clense!
  • You may loose (sic) all of your friends though!

Seriously, Twitter (I think) can be useful as it's a conduit for information for whatever your interests are. Facebook can be useful but is mainly used by the self indulgent in society.

Cleanse yourself.

Although when it comes to Social Media, this place is pretty good although I rarely post on football matters. For instance Dale Stephens used to get hammered on here. From my recollection he had one really bad game at The Valley (Forest in the mud?). Nowadays, quite a high percentage speak highly of him. It's like Sex Pistols at the 100 Club.

Second thoughts. Ditch it completely.

• Rossman92 said:

Evening everyone. Recently I realized that social media has been totally dragging me down. Every time I'm on it I can't help but feel depressed and this has caused my stress level to skyrocket. With the exception of Charlton Life (as it does not have the same effect), I have decided to take a break from all of my major social media accounts until I can feel happy again. I'd just like to know, has anyone ever done this? And if so did it actually help?

Why though?
  • Rossman92 said:

Why though?
    A combination of things. The horrific terrorist news I hear about every day. The Political campaign ongoing here in the states, girl trouble, and frankly, just people being ignorant and I need a break from it all
  • Not on Facebook, not on Twitter, not doing me any harm.
  • I regularly just disable all social media accounts, especially fb for a month or so. It just becomes a habit and a waste of time. disconnecting does you good.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it's important to know how to manage all your media, be it TV viewing or social. Use the tools the platforms offer to make sure you're receiving the information that works for you. I especially work hard at avoiding advertising.

Facebook lets you avoid people whose posts bother you (as mentioned above, switching off notifications helps too), although Twitter's different, which is why I never look at the main feed. Reddit is the best for seeing fun, shareable and even educational content without getting bogged down by negative stuff.
  • The thing I like about twitter is that you can allocate the people you follow into lists, so I can choose just to read tweets from close friends, or football stuff, or certain comedians, or the news channels. Means I can keep things to a manageable level if I'm busy, or things go bonkers for some reason.
  • edited July 2016
    aliwibble said:

The thing I like about twitter is that you can allocate the people you follow into lists, so I can choose just to read tweets from close friends, or football stuff, or certain comedians, or the news channels. Means I can keep things to a manageable level if I'm busy, or things go bonkers for some reason.

Tweetdeck is a good tool for this. Completely changed the way I use Twitter.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

aliwibble said:

The thing I like about twitter is that you can allocate the people you follow into lists, so I can choose just to read tweets from close friends, or football stuff, or certain comedians, or the news channels. Means I can keep things to a manageable level if I'm busy, or things go bonkers for some reason.

Is Tweetdeck only a webpage now? I used the software a few years ago but uninstalled it due to some proxy issue (Twitter's blocked here) I wanted to use it again the other day but noticed it only has a webpage version?
  • I done the old social media cleanse a few years ago. I have returned and realised it was my life that needed improving.
    Not the frustration of seeing morons post really boring pointless things on Facebook and getting away with it. It was annoying but not seeing that stuff all of a sudden didn't make me enthusiastically get out of bed every morning.
    I cut my friends list down to 137 . Nice and simple. Which was basically at least 300 f^ ck offs.

I'm now ok with social media and embrace it in all it's forms.

Instagram being the stand out favourite.

Twitters decent. News - charlton - humour.
  • Facebook only look at it once a week and thankfully its only friends so I don't get loads of pointless shit.

Twitter - only see stuff from people I follow which is mainly sports orientated.

On TV I really only watch sports or history/discovery channels.

I do read all the paper websites, but once you avoid anything to do with Vacuous celebs its not too bad.

Weekends I like to read a proper paper but stick to the Gulf papers and the FT weekend edition.

• edited July 2016
    Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Why though?
    A combination of things. The horrific terrorist news I hear about every day. The Political campaign ongoing here in the states, girl trouble, and frankly, just people being ignorant and I need a break from it all

Terrorism and politics is just news though, not really a social media issue.

Ignorant people i can't vouch for but i'm assuming that to read what they've posted, they're your friends or acquaintances, in which case perhaps a better question would be, why are they your friends? If you don't like what certain people post, then delete them, don't need to delete your own profile.
  • If you feel it's dragging you down, then I'm sure a break from it could be beneficial. I read a book a few years ago by a guy called Carl Honare called 'In Praise of Slow'. Basically, he talks about the fast paced nature of the society in which we live and how he feels that in some way we have gone backwards as a result.

I'm 28 and decided a couple of years to ditch smartphone. In December I was given an iPhone 6 for work and had to use it (no longer with that company but have an iPhone now anyway). I have Facebook, Twitter and email on it but don't receive notifications and actually very rarely check any of them. I'd like to encourage you if you feel it would be helpful. One of the key messages of In Praise of Slow is enjoying the journey and not being fixated with the destination. This can be taken literally. Taking my head out of social media and sitting back with my thoughts and gazing at what was around me became extremely therapeutic.

Have also read 'in praise of slow' . Good book.
  • Listen to Radio 4 or Radio London.

Not an option in the US but they have their own rhythm and unlike social media you aren't filtering it so you hear good, bad, funny, sad, interesting, different, boring stuff not just the people you follow on twitter etc.

Agree with SW16 on slow. Read a book, look out the window, watch the people, day dream, all music for the soul.

Anyone seen those Slow watches? Only have an hour hand as that's all you need. Must buy one.
  • Sponsored links:

• not seen the slow watches - they sound good (or are you joking?)

I just looked £200, but the design is the bollocks
  • Been off my facebook for years now!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

aliwibble said:

Is Tweetdeck only a webpage now? I used the software a few years ago but uninstalled it due to some proxy issue (Twitter's blocked here) I wanted to use it again the other day but noticed it only has a webpage version?
    I only know it as a plug-in for Chrome.
  • Was on Fuckbook Facebook for six months as a newly single bloke in 2007-2008. Met wife through the site (she was living abroad) then closed account. The posts bored me then as they do still. Never used Twittwr or other sites. Not knocking those that do its just a whole heap of rubbish interspersed with something useful. Hence I stick to Charltonlife lol.
  • Met wife through the site (she was living abroad) then closed account. The posts bored me then as they do still.

Bit harsh on ya wife! ;-)
  • Couldn't live without Facebook, how else am I gonna see shat me pals are having for diner
  • Couldn't live without Facebook, how else am I gonna see shat me pals are having for diner

Instagram! ;)

Blimey they'll eat anything in France/Grove Park

not seen the slow watches - they sound good (or are you joking?)

I just looked £200, but the design is the bollocks
    Yep, they are good.