Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I thought this rule already existed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36844570

Basically rules have been put in place where a player can be sent off if they swear at an official.

I thought it already existed as will never forget it when we played Exeter and Daniel Nardiello wouldn't shut up having a go at the Linesman for not confirming that the ball went over the line, the referee then promptly went up to Daniel and sent him off for not continuing on with play.

Either way how often do we reckon this'll be put into force?

Comments

• Options
    That's a very good memory - I remember that incident too. I seem to recall Exeter started that game well and his sending off led to a comfortable CAFC win.
  • Options

That's a very good memory - I remember that incident too. I seem to recall Exeter started that game well and his sending off led to a comfortable CAFC win.

Was Football for a Fiver if I'm right... Wont ever forget it as was right in front of me

Even now I still partly believe that Nardiello was right to complain, didnt we go on to win 2-0?
  • Options

OMG Roger Johnson ......

Haha just laughed out loud at my desk at this comment.

Yet good point as remember thats how I learnt Tim Howard had tourettes (i.e. Refs shouldnt instantly send him off because it wasnt on purpose)
  • Options

I thought it already existed

I believe it has always been a sending off offence if a player used offensive language at or to an official - e.g. 'you c**t' - but not for saying something like 'FFS ref'.
  • Options
    Lot of Chelsea games will get called off then
  • Options
    "Running towards an official to contest a decision"
    "A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official"

These two are incredibly common and need to stop, it's pathetic. Shut up and get on with the game.
  • Options

OMG Roger Johnson ......

RoJo might as well leave his engine on at home games.
  • Options
    Futcher got sent off for Barnsley in the 5-3 win in the 80's for swearing at the ref. It happened in front of the covered end and as the ref was pulling out the card he was saying "I didn't say it to your face"
  • Options
    Garry Nelson got sent off in a televised ITV game for something he said to the referee...

The clip of him getting the red card was the used by ITV as one of their pre ad break funnies!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It certainly used to be the case and was often enforced in local football.
  • Options
    When I reffed Sunday league, if the swearing got too much I would ask the players to think about kids and other people watching on and to tone it down.
    If a player was directly offensive to me with swearing it would be a sending off, and any other dissent like 'ref you're a cheat' would also be a sending off even with no swearing.
  • Options
    Wasn't it all part of the "Respect" campaign? I thought players were not allowed to crowd around the referee, swear etc.
  • Options

Basically rules have been put in place where a player can be sent off if they swear at an official.

I thought it already existed as will never forget it when we played Exeter and Daniel Nardiello wouldn't shut up having a go at the Linesman for not confirming that the ball went over the line, the referee then promptly went up to Daniel and sent him off for not continuing on with play.

I asked Steve Perryman of Exeter what Nardiello said to the linesman after that match and he said "A cheating c@&t" and that ref had no choice to send him off

• Options
    cafc999 said:

I asked Steve Perryman of Exeter what Nardiello said to the linesman after that match and he said "A cheating c@&t" and that ref had no choice to send him off

God yeah Nardiello definitely deserved to be sent off for the abuse he gave the linesman

I saw the footage a few times and felt the ball maybe crossed the line so had the official done his job there would have been no need for the abuse ;)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

When I reffed Sunday league, if the swearing got too much I would ask the players to think about kids and other people watching on and to tone it down.
    If a player was directly offensive to me with swearing it would be a sending off, and any other dissent like 'ref you're a cheat' would also be a sending off even with no swearing.

Certainly how I remembered it when I played Sundays.

Wasn't the Exeter guy above reported by those in earshot to have called the lino a 'cheating c**t' therefore giving the ref an easy decision?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I saw a programme years ago that followed a ref who had been wired up fro an Arsenal game (v Millwall I think).

Tony Adams had a decision go against him, was furious and shouted out "ref, you're a f****g cheat". The ref pulled him, gave him a bollocking and said "we might be useless, but we're not cheats"

Adams cracked up.
  • Options
    A few years ago I was at a Bundesliga match between Hamburg and Stuttgart. The ref gave a free kick to HSV following a bad challenge, and one of the Stuttgart players (Marika), who wasn't even involved in the initial challenge, came running over to the referee to make his feelings known. I have no idea what was said, but he ended up picking up 2 bookings for dissent in less than a minute. One of the funniest things I've seen.
  • Options
    I always thought any abusive language to a ref was a yellow and the only word that was an instant red card was the C word...cheat.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Was Football for a Fiver if I'm right... Wont ever forget it as was right in front of me

Even now I still partly believe that Nardiello was right to complain, didnt we go on to win 2-0?
    Football for a fiver against Exeter we lost 3-1. Hamer in goal for Exeter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9394809.stm
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Seven months later we beat them 2-0 with a Nardiello red card.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/14773265.stm
  • Options

Cant have been that one then
  • Options

seth plum said:

I saw a programme years ago that followed a ref who had been wired up fro an Arsenal game (v Millwall I think).

Tony Adams had a decision go against him, was furious and shouted out "ref, you're a f****g cheat". The ref pulled him, gave him a bollocking and said "we might be useless, but we're not cheats"

Adams cracked up.
    Was that The game when kasey Keller (sp?) caught the ball outside his area?
  • Options
    One of those rules they chose to ignore, and will continue to do so at the top level to keep players on the pitch, rather than apply the laws consistently so that players learn they can't get away with it and stay on the pitch because they stop doing it.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Seven months later we beat them 2-0 with a Nardiello red card.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/14773265.stm
    I was right by the linesman low down in the East Stand and was shouting at the linesman "Don't have it! Get him sent off!" Then he started flagging to the ref. I wonder if I helped in any way lol!!

(Nardiello was actually right though)
  • Options
    Foul and abusive language has always been a sending off but it's how the referee manages it if he sends him off or not.The referees gets marked by assessors and clubs on there performance which they need to get promoted.so this can interfere with the decision.generally if you swear directly at the ref you will get sent off but if you swear through frustration you'll probably get let off if you call a ref a cheat you should be sent off.
    We had a F A cup final ref give us a talk at a refs meeting and he said they can't send players off in premier because fans pay to watch them so if he sent Rooney off for swearing one week and then another player for swearing again the next week then the next week he would not be refereeing in the premier league.