Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Big Sam it is!

Comments

• Options
    Right man for the job.

In 4 years time the cupboard that all the English managers sit in will be bereft
  • Options
    In many sports playing for your country beats playing for your club.

Bit different in football but if Sam can get a team of players who are really proud to be representing their country it would be a huge step forwards from today.

The FA and premier league aren't going to help him out much there. The former because they are useless and the latter because it competes with their own selfish interest.
  • Options

would have been my choice so i am happy

Phew!!!!
  • Options
    Best option from a pretty shit list
  • Options
    Good appointment - nothing else has worked.
  • Options

Best appointment for years, will play the English way, so what if it's ugly he knows how to win with limitations, the jobs he's done have been brilliant he came 4th with Bolton Wanderers, just let that sink in.

6th - but close enough. :-)
  • Options
    Underwhelmed
  • Options

Best appointment for years, will play the English way, so what if it's ugly he knows how to win with limitations, the jobs he's done have been brilliant he came 4th with Bolton Wanderers, just let that sink in.

He also had them in 5th when he resigned because the chairman wouldn't give him money to push for a champions league place
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016

Sorry not sure where I got fourth from but I'll counter it with this superb stat from wiki:

Bolton recorded consecutive top-eight finishes, a record of consistency bettered only by the big four of Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal.[21]:470–7
  • Options
    Prepare for mass howling from West Ham fans.....

I've thought for years that OK, many of our players are a bit over hyped, but pulling on an England shirt totally inhibits them. If he can cure that, then all power to him.
  • Options

Best option from a pretty shit list

What was this list of he was the best option? Other than gravy drinking contest I can't think of one he comes top of.
  • Options
    Truthfully, it really makes absolutely no difference who the manager is. Could be Allardyce, Howe, any number of foreign coaches. English players just don't have the talent and the winning mentality to be a really competitive team over the course of a whole tournament.

If we want that to change we've got to start making changes right down at the bottom when players are still young instead of going through manager after manager wondering why the same shit that failed before is failing again.
  • Options
    Hoof
  • Options
    Route one. Never won anything. But more than anything ... ex Millwall.
  • Options
    One thing I think I have gradually realised when it comes to the England manager - is that nobody really can have any idea who makes the best one. It is very different to running a club side. So how Allardyce's club teams have played is irrelevant. What is important is, is he intelligent? I think he is very intelligent. We will see what sort of job he does. He has just as much chance of being successful as anybody else and I wish him the best!
  • Options

No f*****g bottle at all!! Allardyce is a dinosaur - f*****g 61 years old FFS!!! They are such useless twats with no backbone, the jellyfish, squid like buffoons!! England have been the epitome of Muppetry for years so at least go left of arc and take a risk!!

Should have been Eddie Howe all day long. Balls that he is inexperienced - what a cop out!! He is as bright as a button, talks sense, and has boxed above his weight for ages!! Not to mentioned that he is modern in his approach and forward thinking!! It's the same old pony time after time (like a f*****g cyndi Lauper record!).

If 'Big Sam' is yer man they should have taken him when he chewed Wrigleys Doublemint sticks rather than girlie 'airwaves' pellets!! It's a total bottle job on behalf of those FA clowns!!

Just to clear it up, you don't rate him then?
  • Options
    good appointment - straight talking, tactically aware - aware that we need organising as we don't have the best players and is experienced in that as nobody has ever gambled on giving him a top line job although they should have - and has a bit of charisma - just glad they didnt go foreign - pointless - lets go route 1, win second ball and battle and out work the oppo - its our only chance
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    What we have to do is find the right man. Chris Coleman has shown himself to be a 100 times better than any recent England manager appointment but somebody like him would never have been considered for the job. Club management credentials don't mean as much as the FA seem to think. I hope and believe that Big Sam can do a great job. If he doesn't the FA should try somebody else, not fart around with giving him three major tournaments to fail in like Hodgson. That is how we will find the great manager- through putting somebody who looks like they might know what they are doing in the job and see how they go. And if they don't go, try the next one quickly!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not my first choice ( or my second ) but I will take winning ugly under Big Sam than losing playing tippy tappy football under any other.
  • Options
    The thing is, we might not play any uglier than under other managers. Big Sam may be good at getting the best out of what he has!
  • Options
    Can't do any worse than Erickson, McClaren, Capello, Hodgson...

Looking forward to seeing Nolan playing off Carroll! :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Can't do any worse than Erickson, McClaren, Capello, Hodgson...

Looking forward to seeing Nolan playing off Carroll! :-)

Exactly - and you look at those managers and you can point to some crazy decisions. Maybe Big Sam won't make crazy decisions. I dont think taking Carrol to the Euros would have been crazy by the way. You need game altering options on the bench! We need to support him, until he does. He may never. I have high hopes for him.
  • Options
    If you would have asked me 4 years ago I would have swerved

But having seen what Coleman did for Wales then why not

England need a man manager motivater and I think by Sam fits the bill
  • Options
    I bet he chooses a system of play and does not change it when he reaches the tournament.
  • Options
    Given that management is about getting the best out of the available resources, I think and hope that Big Sam should do well. He's certainly achieved that throughout his long career and maybe we should concentrate on trying to develop a style and pattern of play that we can actually deliver consistently, coupled with coherent teamwork and organisation. As one or two other teams showed in the Euros and in past tournaments, that can take you a long way.

We also have to be realistic about where we are in World football. We rarely reach the last four of major tournaments and are serial under-achievers (or maybe that, in itself, is a further delusion). To compound matters, we have an ever decreasing number of English players playing at top flight level.

We weren't spoilt for choice in terms of potential managers and, to be blunt, Sam can hardly do worse than most of the other incumbents over the last 20 years. I read a few weeks ago that a number of senior England players (Rooney, Hart and Milner were mentioned) were unimpressed with the English candidates and wanted a foreign coach to succeed Hodgson. Perhaps they should have devoted more of their time and energy to delivering the goods on the field.
  • Options
    To be honest, I think Portugal are not a lot better than us. Hodgson made major errors in the tournament. We can't ignore this fact!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I take it the FA don't realise you can't get relegated in international football.
  • Options

To be honest, I think Portugal are not a lot better than us. Hodgson made major errors in the tournament. We can't ignore this fact!

I don't think anyone is, but I'd still have him for a second go over Allardyce, but now that he's gone I'm not sure it's relevant

You make a great point about the difference between club and international football. The problem is every other FA has sorted this out except for the FA. The FA has just picked someone who has specialized in English league football, taking arguably the opposite view.

To all those who talk about it, what is "The England Way" exactly? You answers may not include tournaments from 50 years ago, before many of us were born.