Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SHEFFIELD UNITED .. A REAL 'DANGER' TO US THIS SEASON ?

The Blades under Chris Wilder, their manager who we coveted for ourselves, are (at last !!) going to do well this season. (I reckon)
Their fans are in a state of high excitement. United play the mighty Grimsby Town (Mariners) in a friendly this Saturday.
As at Tuesday last, 1,500 of their 2,000 ticket allocation have been sold and this for a pre season game they should win easily. There will be dancing in the streets of Cleethorpes this weekend !!

A few on here have opined that League 1 is a weak division this season. I disagree. Just look at the signings some of our rivals have made. Just one example: Bury, first up for us have strengthened considerably.
This season League 1 football might not be too cultured or beautiful to behold, but at the very least it will be exciting and competitive.
Me ? .. I can't wait for it all to get going

Comments

• Dont get me wrong but the size of your attendance doesnt mean a thing so that doesnt bother me about Sheffield United.

Am surprised about Bury's signings though... Nicky Clark wasnt bad for Rangers getting them up the Divisions whilst Zeli Ismail was a highly rated youngster at Wolves a few years ago, add Antony Kay to that list and they've also got the experience

(Not including Chris Kirkland as he'll break something walking to the shops)
  • Sorry but what is the fascination they've flopped and have done nothing since we romped the League

And thats even with Billy Sharp leading the line!!
  • Mate......... we will be at least 20 points behind them.

I think even that's optimistic !
  • Dont get me wrong but the size of your attendance doesnt mean a thing so that doesnt bother me about Sheffield United.

Am surprised about Bury's signings though... Nicky Clark wasnt bad for Rangers getting them up the Divisions whilst Zeli Ismail was a highly rated youngster at Wolves a few years ago, add Antony Kay to that list and they've also got the experience

Agree that 'the following' does not mean a lot .. it's the Wilder factor that interests me .. as you know, he's been very successful over the past few seasons and will make all the difference .. the Blades have been a success waiting to happen for a while, just needing the right organiser/leader/manager to get them really rolling.
    Bury ? .. very strong defence .. they also signed the experienced Barnett to play alongside (the animal) Kay .. another club with an ambitious young manager
  • Stig said:

The Blades are ok, but no danger to us. We'll be at the other end of the table.

I am VERY worried about the amount of defeatism that infects this whole wonderful site .. chins up chaps, we have nothing to fear except fear itself (I quote not Mrs Trump but FDR)
  • No, we'll beat them this season - for relegation.

Agree that 'the following' does not mean a lot .. it's the Wilder factor that interests me .. as you know, he's been very successful over the past few seasons and will make all the difference .. the Blades have been a success waiting to happen for a while, just needing the right organiser/leader/manager to get them really rolling.
    Bury ? .. very strong defence .. they also signed the experienced Barnett to play alongside (the animal) Kay .. another club with an ambitious young manager
    Yeah Bury have really surprised me, they dont seem to have lost anyone either other than Chris Hussey to Sheffield United.

I want to see Chris Wilder's first few results before I give a proper opinion on how they'll do as am not sure, its his first time managing at this level, there isnt a massive gap between League One / League Two yet Sheffield United are a much bigger team than what he's been
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016
    With our current squad every team in League 1 is a real danger to us.
  • Millwank, Sheffield United, MK Dons, Bolton and Us should all be in the playoff places by May, but there is always a surprise package and a disappointment
  • Oh my god this thread has given me a stiffy :smile:

They will come good....................honest!
  • sam3110 said:

Millwank, Sheffield United, MK Dons, Bolton and Us should all be in the playoff places by May, but there is always a surprise package and a disappointment

Well it's a cert that we'll be the disappointment
  • sam3110 said:

Millwank, Sheffield United, MK Dons, Bolton and Us should all be in the playoff places by May, but there is always a surprise package and a disappointment

This is a League where anyone of us can also be the surprise package or disappointment though.

There isn't one team that I see running away with it, that seemed to end with Charlton / Wolves being promoted in their respective years as since then the League has got a lot tighter (I know Bristol City did well but they didnt run away with it until the very end)
  • sam3110 said:

This is a League where anyone of us can also be the surprise package or disappointment though.

There isn't one team that I see running away with it, that seemed to end with Charlton / Wolves being promoted in their respective years as since then the League has got a lot tighter (I know Bristol City did well but they didnt run away with it until the very end)
    Even in our title winning season, while comfortably on top, we only pulled clear near the end. If Sheffield United hadn't imploded after Ched was sent to prison, they would have been finished second, only a few points behind us
  • sam3110 said:

Even in our title winning season, while comfortably on top, we only pulled clear near the end. If Sheffield United hadn't imploded after Ched was sent to prison, they would have been finished second, only a few points behind us
    Never really got the sense that we were going to throw it away though did you. We were by far the best side that year. Sheffield United were easily the second strongest. No idea how Wednesday managed to get 2nd - they were an awful side.
  • sam3110 said:

Never really got the sense that we were going to throw it away though did you. We were by far the best side that year. Sheffield United were easily the second strongest. No idea how Wednesday managed to get 2nd - they were an awful side.
    Dunno I never felt comfortable and was always looking out for results.

I remember Bournemouth away when Kermorgant scored in the last minute gave us a healthy lead over the chasing pack yet we went on to only win one of the next five (inc. three defeats) which made it a little bit nervy again
  • Us is a real danger to us
  • I just hope that we don't go down, as I really couldn't stand that.
    Anyone who thinks that we are going to be challenging for promotion are deluding themselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forgive me for saying it, but I struggle to completely trust the opinions most of our fans, there were a fair amount who thought we'd push play-offs are we signed big Mak. I think we'll do alright this year. Next 2 weeks are obviously extremely important but think most are overreacting.
  • I suspect they will be more of a danger to the better teams in the League - not us!
  • Us is a real danger to us

This.

Unlike the last time we were relegated in into League One - we don't have clubs like Southampton, Norwich and Leeds to compete with.

If a club our size don't get promoted out of this division first time around then we only have the owners to blame.
  • Don't worry, all that needs happen is Donald Trump become President and then someone slip this thread into his briefing papers.

Problem "solved"....