Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: A special moment during the Ipswich game

13»

Comments

• edited July 2016
    AshBurton said:

I still think one of funniest moments of last season (ok maybe the only funny moment) was when one of our very longstanding fans in the East Stand, a poster on here I think, unexpectedly came into close contact with the match ball. Mindful of the club edict not to throw anything onto the playing arena, he very slowly and methodically made his way down to row A before handing the ball to the bemused player waiting to take the thrown in. The whole process seemed to take an eternity, but was probably no more than 30 seconds. Nearly passed out I was laughing so hard.

It was @legaladdick
  • AshBurton said:

I still think one of funniest moments of last season (ok maybe the only funny moment) was when one of our very longstanding fans in the East Stand, a poster on here I think, unexpectedly came into close contact with the match ball. Mindful of the club edict not to throw anything onto the playing arena, he very slowly and methodically made his way down to row A before handing the ball to the bemused player waiting to take the thrown in. The whole process seemed to take an eternity, but was probably no more than 30 seconds. Nearly passed out I was laughing so hard.

Remember that very well, it was extremely amusing
  • In the late 60's as a nipper, I was stood on the east terrace leaning on the little red railing right down the front when a crunching 50-50 tackle happened right in front of me. The ball cannoned out from in between the two players like a bullet, heading straight for my face. In a split second I ducked and immediately heard a commotion behind. I turned to see a kiddy spark out on his back with blood pouring from his nose! They used proper heavy balls in those days lol

Remember an occasion in those days when Mike Kenning absolutely wellied the ball into touch in the East Terrace and knocked some nipper flying off those railings.
  • Before the game I had posted here that it would be unlawful to throw anything onto the pitch, including the match ball. I was stunned to find it bouncing towards me a few minutes in so took my own advice. Not everyone near me was impressed though and one bloke got quite narky.

It was brilliant. 2nd only to the Liar sheet and the Director's Box protest was quite good.
  • The only time I've touched the match ball was on the Cold Blow Lane terrace at the The Den. I don't think we lost so that rather narrows down which game it might have been.
  • Before the game I had posted here that it would be unlawful to throw anything onto the pitch, including the match ball. I was stunned to find it bouncing towards me a few minutes in so took my own advice. Not everyone near me was impressed though and one bloke got quite narky.

It was picked up briefly by the telly cameras. It was brilliant.
  • edited July 2016

Welcome to the 100 likes club @stuart_lee . Normally only experienced by the most respected, popular and articulate mods, like @i_b_b_o_r_g :-)

Wow, thank you. To think I almost deleted the thread straight after the initially posting thinking it was rather self indulgent.

Gutted I didn't make the CAFC official 'highlights' clip ;-)

Well there is a YouTube video of highlights from the Ipswich game, filmed from the East Stand. Which means there's a chance it was caught by the camera.

May be worth contacting the media team and seeing if they can dig it out. Would probably get a few hits, so they might be keen. @Ollywozere
  • I recall a match up at Oldham in the 80's. We had a few hundred spread sparsely against the stanchions of the big open terrace behind the goal. A shot flew wide and handsome over the bar and soared high before thundering downwards. Before anyone could react we followed the falling ball and there in ten yards of space was a girl of about 5 with long blonde hair aimlessly wandering about the terracing unaware. The ball landed smack on the top of her head and I remember all the open mouths and concern of all around, only to see it rebound strongly back along it's trajectory and down the terracing. The girl look around completely unconcerned as if to say 'what was that.' The rest of us fell about laughing and she got a round of applause.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was sitting in the West lower and the ball came towards me, it was the perfect height for me to head it back. As I got contact, some old bloke behind me meaning to punch the ball, punched the back of my head!

He then had the audacity to complain that his hand hurt.

The ball did however make its way back onto the pitch.

I was about 75% satisfied.

Next time if there is one, I will shout my name "Chappers up"
  • I was having a meal on the outside terrace on the top floor of the OXO Tower one evening. There I was sharing a lovely evening with my wife when all of a sudden out of nowhere a football shot passed us and seemed to keep going.

As I stood up I heard a distant cry carried on the wind............................."You cnut Bailey, call that a penalty"