Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Must admit I wished I hadn’t been so enthusiastic to get my guess in so early now. But I am pleased to have this uplift as my pension should hopefully be benefitting 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Notice that BG America has dropped 10pc since mid Dec. 
    I think you may find if yesterday's trading is reflected in today's price, it may go up a fair bit later on. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    It's funny how Golfie is optimistic about the economy and has faith in the markets whatever the situation, whereas in football matters he is so pessimistic.
    I see things getting far far worse in the immediate future with no daylight in sight 
    regarding investments and I don't even want to look at them. 

A vaccine is not on the way. You need to stop believing the TV. A few months ago you were believing in promises for this December! My bet is that a vaccine won't be available until the middle of 2022, and even then we we still be in the shit for ages. Look at other diseases: vaccines do not mean eradication.
    The above was posted back in October  - never like to gloat on here but @jimmymelrose does live in a non-vac country....😄.  Heard today that France has vaccinated less than a 1000 people so far.  To put that in context Israel have vaccinated 1.5 million.

I have also been advocating for the past 3 months to go overweight in UK equities as we have been lagging behind most other markets and was due a "bounce". Glad my portfolio is around 25% in the UK - one fund I switch into back in Oct is Premier Miton UK smaller companies. Up 24% since then. And people like tracker funds because they are cheap....😂😂😂
  • Options
    It's funny how Golfie is optimistic about the economy and has faith in the markets whatever the situation, whereas in football matters he is so pessimistic.
    I see things getting far far worse in the immediate future with no daylight in sight 

A vaccine is not on the way. You need to stop believing the TV. A few months ago you were believing in promises for this December! My bet is that a vaccine won't be available until the middle of 2022, and even then we we still be in the shit for ages. Look at other diseases: vaccines do not mean eradication.
    The above was posted back in October  - never like to gloat on here but @jimmymelrose does live in a non-vac country....😄.  Heard today that France has vaccinated less than a 1000 people so far.  To put that in context Israel have vaccinated 1.5 million.

I have also been advocating for the past 3 months to go overweight in UK equities as we have been lagging behind most other markets and was due a "bounce". Glad my portfolio is around 25% in the UK - one fund I switch into back in Oct is Premier Miton UK smaller companies. Up 24% since then. And people like tracker funds because they are cheap....😂😂😂
    Up 24%! I'm about 80%+ invested in FTSE ETF as I took your advice on the UK market and am about 10% up on that since Oct. And I'm well happy with that so thanks!

So from your last comment you don't rate tracker ETFs then? As an expat it seems like a decent option and relatively riskless.
  • Options

"one fund I switch into back in Oct is Premier Miton UK smaller companies. Up 24% since then.”

Class A or B? Income or Accumulation?

I’ve been a long time lurker on this thread and the Crypto one without ever posting, so I appreciate a lot of your discussions.

I can’t remember who or where someone recommended the ARB Blockchain shares - but a big thanks to you - my modest punt on Christmas Eve has jumped 320% since👍
  • Options
    £25 each for me and Mrs Large this month on the PB's. As long as I'm getting regular prizes I'm happy.
  • Options
    Very optimistic about this year for the UK equities but must admit have been selling a bit into this rally as I think there should be a pull back soon and better levels.  Made a lot of last year's oil losses back the last couple of months!
  • Options
    Here's my thinking ... :
    • short term - reality check
      • rising pound headwind for FTSE until it settles in its ‘normal’ range - 1.40-1.50?
      • over-heated US markets correct as earnings season ’disappoints’ and massive leverage unwinds
      • Covid hangover - business failures, redundancies as support unwinds and businesses have to make tough decisions 
      • budget uncertainty in UK holds back spending and investment 
      • Covid winners unwind a little/blue wave hits US tech in the short term
    • longer term - very positive
      • UK equities converge with other major indexes
        • loss of uncertainty
        • vaccine roll out
        • Brexit trade deals trickle through
        • inward investment/m&a before pound appreciates too much
      • covid affected survivors rebound
        • tourism & travel
        • hospitality (restaurants, hotels)
        • media
        • consumer credit??
      • tech and biotech march on after a short correction
      • China suffers from US pressure and re-location of supply chains
      • oil rebounds
      • gold - appreciates due to government spending or loose fiscal policy (sounds like it's going to be the latter after today's result)
      • property - mad but I still see going up because of economy rebound and so much cheap money and policy support
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm non plus as to whether quarterly, 6 monthly etc (I did originally suggest quarterly). 6 monthly numbers are coming in mind....... it's just a bit of fun.
    @Rob7Lee   Could you confirm you have received my entry as not sure if I cancelled it accidently.  Thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Up 24%! I'm about 80%+ invested in FTSE ETF as I took your advice on the UK market and am about 10% up on that since Oct. And I'm well happy with that so thanks!

So from your last comment you don't rate tracker ETFs then? As an expat it seems like a decent option and relatively riskless.
    I think you've answered your own question. Your ETF's are up 10% whereas my "fund" is up 24%. The difference in cost (AMC + other costs) will probably be less than 1% between the 2. So, I have to ask myself.....is it worth paying an extra 1% in charges to get a 14% extra return. I'm sure all the posters on here that are in BG funds will know the answer to that one.

As an aside - I don't know what non UK residents have available to them so there might be a reason why you buy EFT's. But if you have the choice between a tracker fund & a "named" fund you might want to ask yourself why you wouldn't chose the latter.
  • Options

I think you've answered your own question. Your ETF's are up 10% whereas my "fund" is up 24%. The difference in cost (AMC + other costs) will probably be less than 1% between the 2. So, I have to ask myself.....is it worth paying an extra 1% in charges to get a 14% extra return. I'm sure all the posters on here that are in BG funds will know the answer to that one.

As an aside - I don't know what non UK residents have available to them so there might be a reason why you buy EFT's. But if you have the choice between a tracker fund & a "named" fund you might want to ask yourself why you wouldn't chose the latter.
    The problem for expats, is this, and I’m speaking as someone who has scoured the globe to resolve the problem. The UK is easily the most developed market for retail investors (i.e. punters). There is nothing like H-L for choice of funds, and easy to access info on fund charges and holdings. They could have taken Europe by storm if they had wanted to, there was nothing, legislatively to stop them. Hargreaves of course had a different personal agenda which presumably ruled out this option. 

I recently opened an account on Degiro, a Dutch platform, but all I have from there are tracker ETFs from Vanguard. They offer active ETFs but from people I have often never heard of, and more importantly cannot easily  get info on. The main advantage of Degiro for me is, its a euro hedge. I have a FTSE 250 tracker ETF holding, but in euros.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the UK is a world leader in this ( I expect the USA is probably similar). The thing is, not enough ordinary people get the basic insights that allow them to confidently use these things ( or indeed to confidently deal with an IFA). Someone posted a while back that there should be school education on the basics of this, and they were bang on. Many more ordinary people should have been able to look at the gains many of us were happily surveying at the end of the year.
  • Options
    MOBY DUCK said:

"one fund I switch into back in Oct is Premier Miton UK smaller companies. Up 24% since then.”

I’ve been a long time lurker on this thread and the Crypto one without ever posting, so I appreciate a lot of your discussions.

I can’t remember who or where someone recommended the ARB Blockchain shares - but a big thanks to you - my modest punt on Christmas Eve has jumped 320% since👍
    Twas me Moby, I can’t quite believe how Bitcoin & ARB have moved upwards, I bought into ARB @ 9 pence last summer IPO original price was 16 pence so saw some value,  now not far off £1.00 & still holding fair way to go yet IMHO, regrettably though not in an ISA (full) or my SIPP so a CGT liability. It’s bleedin bonkers, Bitcoin now $35k for a coin that doesn’t actually exist & ARB mine these non-existent coins. Forecast for Bitcoin is +$100 by some brokers. 

Hey ho despite my crypto ignorance I will take the wonga when the price time is right,  #Rob7Lee gave out some tips last year which I picked up on & made few bob so nice to share as well. 

That’s why this thread is so good, no rampers or bull shitters  just good honest advice & opinion. 

p.s I like Red Wine 😄😄😄
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm non plus as to whether quarterly, 6 monthly etc (I did originally suggest quarterly). 6 monthly numbers are coming in mind....... it's just a bit of fun.
    @Rob7Lee   Could you confirm you have received my entry as not sure if I cancelled it accidently.  Thanks
    Yes you're in, but 9,800 - really ;)  

Those who've entered with a day to go;

oohaahmortimer
    Thread Killer
    No.1 in South London
    blackpool72
    CharltonKerry
    HardyAddick
    Rob7Lee
    RalphMilne
    Covered End
    StrikerFirmani
    Fortune 82nd Minute
    gunnessaddick
    LargeAddick
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub
    Exiledin Manchester
    valleynick66
    Bangkokaddick
    Huskaris
    Daarrrzzettbum
    bobmunro
    MrOneLung
    fat man on a moped

Those who previously entered last year but have yet to do so this year;

@TelMc32
    CAFCsayer
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 
    Gary Poole
    golfaddick
    happy valley
    meldrew66
    PragueAddick
    Salad
    wwaddick
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MOBY DUCK said:

Twas me Moby, I can’t quite believe how Bitcoin & ARB have moved upwards, I bought into ARB @ 9 pence last summer IPO original price was 16 pence so saw some value,  now not far off £1.00 & still holding fair way to go yet IMHO, regrettably though not in an ISA (full) or my SIPP so a CGT liability. It’s bleedin bonkers, Bitcoin now $35k for a coin that doesn’t actually exist & ARB mine these non-existent coins. Forecast for Bitcoin is +$100 by some brokers. 

Hey ho despite my crypto ignorance I will take the wonga when the price time is right,  #Rob7Lee gave out some tips last year which I picked up on & made few bob so nice to share as well. 

That’s why this thread is so good, no rampers or bull shitters  just good honest advice & opinion. 

p.s I like Red Wine 😄😄😄
    There is a lot of sense of selling some of your holding & crystalisng the gain - especially before 5th April. Everyone has a CGT allowance of £12500 & once you go past a tax year it's gone.

Also good just to take some profit & re-invest into something else. You never know what is around the corner & you'd be pig sick if it all goes south & you find in 3 months it's back down to 16p again. 
  • Options
    MOBY DUCK said:

p.s I like Red Wine 😄😄😄
    There is a lot of sense of selling some of your holding & crystalisng the gain - especially before 5th April. Everyone has a CGT allowance of £12500 & once you go past a tax year it's gone.

Also good just to take some profit & re-invest into something else. You never know what is around the corner & you'd be pig sick if it all goes south & you find in 3 months it's back down to 16p again. 
    Cheers Golfie it’s defo squeaky bum time re when I pull the trigger 1)re profit expectations & 2) minimising my CGT liability. 

As you say it’s not propa profit until you press that sell button, until then it’s false ego.
  • Options
    Just sent you my entry too, @Rob7Lee, I think
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Received
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MOBY DUCK said:

p.s I like Red Wine 😄😄😄

Cheers Golfie it’s defo squeaky bum time re when I pull the trigger 1)re profit expectations & 2) minimising my CGT liability. 

As you say it’s not propa profit until you press that sell button, until then it’s false ego.
    If you don't really want to sell, Just sell enough to use up your CGT allowance a couple of days before the end of the tax year, can always buy them back a couple of days later and reset clock.

But as Golfie says, i'd be tempted to take some profit, when i've had ones like that i've cashed enough to get my initial investment back then every penny is profit. Always nice to see!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    IdleHans said:
    Received
    Sorry @Rob7Lee been engrossed with what’s happening in Washington.  I’ve missed what’s happening. Do you want predictions for 6 and 12 months? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    IdleHans said:
    Received
    Sorry @Rob7Lee been engrossed with what’s happening in Washington.  I’ve missed what’s happening. Do you want predictions for 6 and 12 months? 
    No, just the 6 month point.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    IdleHans said:
    Received
    No, just the 6 month point.
    Thanks. Have dropped you a note.
  • Options

My Saxobank offshore account has only recently introduced a number of "named" funds onto its platform and I have just sent some additional GBP to invest in one or two Baillie Gifford funds. But many platforms don't offer this. They are more expensive to buy but, as you said, the difference in return makes it very viable.
    I could put everything into two or three funds but I like the challenge of trying to beat the markets by buying and selling ETFs and a few stocks. It becomes a hobby as well as an investment. I only have one tracker in my portfolio, the rest are more specific and mostly USD.
    My QROPS pension is now nearly all in the type of fund you've mentioned (Brooks Macdonald) but my best performer is a US based ETF!
  • Options
    @balham red (and any other expats with the same problem). Do you by chance still have a UK bank account, even if dormant? If so, you can use H-L (and any of several equally good UK platforms).

If not, another interesting thing that occurs to me is what H-L might say to a bank account from one of the more flexible challenger banks, e.g Revolut or Transferwise if they get a banking licence. In the small print, H-L assert that their service is open to anyone who is EEA resident, but 99% of them can't open a UK bank account, so that was always a bad joke (I tried to open a separate account for my wife there).
  • Options
    @balham red (and any other expats with the same problem). Do you by chance still have a UK bank account, even if dormant? If so, you can use H-L (and any of several equally good UK platforms).

If not, another interesting thing that occurs to me is what H-L might say to a bank account from one of the more flexible challenger banks, e.g Revolut or Transferwise if they get a banking licence. In the small print, H-L assert that their service is open to anyone who is EEA resident, but 99% of them can't open a UK bank account, so that was always a bad joke (I tried to open a separate account for my wife there).
    There are tax implications of doing this as an expat.................... and for that reason i'm out.
  • Options

There are tax implications of doing this as an expat.................... and for that reason i'm out.

That's why I use Saxo. Interactive is another good platform but they deemed n]me as too inexperienced as a trader when I tried to sign up with them a few years ago. Their loss as I have done many trades through Saxo.

There's a strong chance I'll be back in the UK from autumn; maybe permanently though for at least two years. I'd guess I'd have to declare any dividends through the platform even if I don't take any cash out. But I don't really need to think about that until the 2021-2022 tax return.
  • Options

Well yes, as I said, I pay UK tax ( as well as Czech tax). Not sure what implications there would be beyond paying tax on dividends, possibly in the country of residence, but also depends where you are resident. If you are not ordinarily resident in UK you dont pay CGT, except on property. Anyway its not *advice*, of course, just something to mention as I am extremely glad I have been able to do it.
  • Options
    Twas me Moby, I can’t quite believe how Bitcoin & ARB have moved upwards, I bought into ARB @ 9 pence last summer IPO original price was 16 pence so saw some value,  now not far off £1.00 & still holding fair way to go yet IMHO...
    Cheers Daarrzzetbum,

At one point ARB hit 1.30 today!! Bonkers.

I only had a cheap punt on a 1000 ARB shares at 0.17p and cashed out my original investments worth at the start of this week. Smarts a bit having now missed out on more monster rises, but my remaining total is now 100% pure profit.

How far do you think they might go?
    I guess they effectively track Bitcoin so equally volatile?  Being a ‘mining’ company there might be a bit of ‘lag’ over the currency market and give us a small window to react in? What sort of figures are you aiming/ hoping for?
  • Options
    Might want to rename this thread "Savings, Investments & Gambling" if we are seriously going to discuss bitcoins & 'mining"  🙄
  • Options
    Apologies if it’s getting in the way of PB ‘prize’ boasts and FTSE predictions. Was only using this thread as ARB shares are listed on HL so I thought of it more as a ‘shares’ investment than a Crypto gamble. I’ll move my questions over to the Crypto’s thread.

As far as real mining goes, I’m keeping an eye on Glencore (GLEN) - Allegedly ethically run with no child labour and a contract in the pipeline with Tesla to supply Cobalt. Could be worth keeping an eye on.