Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    As above what a difference a day makes!

So are we all on again for end of year predictions?

• Options
    A very muted response to @LargeAddick victory but I'll say well done!

Might even seek from advice from you! What's your go to fund for the next 6 months! :-) 😂

As regards the top 8 (ie those who finished above me) how many of you actually work in the finance industry. Just a simple yes or no - no need to give any details. (Reason I ask is just interested to know if the professionals have any more real insight into where the market is going than mug punters like me) 
    No, I’m just a punter. And the dialogue leading up to the first of these competitions was driven by our resident IFA who was consistently among the more bullish voices about market prospects. Its interesting that having been trounced by a lot of punters in the first two comps he was more cautious this time. Isnt this your best result so far @golfaddick ? 😉

The serious point I’m making here is that the overall results looking at all participants in all three comps have been startlingly good, and seem to be getting better if I’m not mistaken. So I am certainly up for a further competition, but I hope this time we will have a couple of weeks where people share their thoughts before laying down their “bets”. This can be a real help for those who feel less wired in to the markets, but there was not much of that before this round. I don’t think it spoils the fun, and there is no money involved, so why not? 

Well done, @LargeAddick
  • Options
    Why don't we say predictions by 21st July so gives 3 weeks to chew the cud, up to people whether they put on here or send me a DM?
  • Options
    A very muted response to @LargeAddick victory but I'll say well done!

Might even seek from advice from you! What's your go to fund for the next 6 months! :-) 😂

As regards the top 8 (ie those who finished above me) how many of you actually work in the finance industry. Just a simple yes or no - no need to give any details. (Reason I ask is just interested to know if the professionals have any more real insight into where the market is going than mug punters like me) 
    worked in banking for over 40 years, now work in a solicitors. Not sure if that helped in my prediction, chose 47 at the end as that's the year we won the cup !!
    Now I know why our local spanners didn’t enter.
  • Options
    Not wanting to sound bitter but as today's gains have shown the Index can be anywhere on any given day. During the past week the FTSE100 had been trading above 7100 and was looking at finishing June nearer to 7150 than 7050. Last Friday it finished at 7136, just 4 points off my "guess". And a guess it was, as no-one can really say where the Index might be in a months time, let alone 6 !  Too many variables (Inflation, interest rates, Covid lockdown 4 or 5) and thats without any political drama's such as PM's resigning or EU/NI troubles. 

At this stage all I'm looking at is the country slow unlocking & businesses getting back on their feet with the vaccine programme being fully done. The FTSE100 is still around 700 points off its all time high and still 500 points off where it was pre-Covid. I would like to think the FTSE is back to around 7500 by the end of the year but its too soon to be making any final "guesses" for the next comp. 

• Options
    Are we not playing to the price is right rules? Where you can’t go over.
    I was, don't know about anyone else.
    So that pushes me up to 8th from 16th :smile:
    Well played Large and everyone.
  • Options
    Anyone need any financial advice just message me ;-))

Could you give me the 5 numbers + 2 star balls for Friday, Thanks.

No seriously well called mate.
  • Options
    I probably got more attached to watching the ftse than I should have, especially in the last few weeks, but overall I enjoyed it!
    It's funny how your emotions get involved and you start wanting the markets to drop - just to gain a bit of pride on CL.

I forgot to include the axis on my screengrab but here is how much thought I put into my prediction  :#

Well done @LargeAddick
  • Options
    Ernie so fast this month, he didn’t stop at mine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mine neither, two months running with the maximum won diddly squat.

My wife won 2x£25 and eldest daughter 1x £25, youngest daughter nothing.

So on £150k a grand total of £75  :disappointed:

Might be time to do something else with mine I think.
  • Options
    Wife and I are maxed out too, £25 for me and zilch for her this month.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

What about the father in law? His run of success that you have commented on is remarkable! 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Sorry, bit of a long day at work.

A very well done to LargeAddick who was less than ten points out! And to the Top 7 who managed to get within 1%. Overall most people were within 5% which is not too shabby at all.

Shall we do again for year end?
    Yes please & well done LA 👏👏👏
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Why don't we say predictions by 21st July so gives 3 weeks to chew the cud, up to people whether they put on here or send me a DM?
    7333 please Rob7Lee 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Cheers for doing this I find it quite entertaining. 
  • Options
    7784 at year end.
  • Options
    At first sight, 7400 looks like where I would be placing my forecast. Its a modest gain of 5%. However it would also represent a gain of 15% for thr year. That is a lot in a year. What are moving the markets this year? Seems to me they are:
    - vaccine rollout vs Delta variant ( and possibly others); to what extent do economies, and sectors within them, recover? 
    - lack of vaccine rollout in emerging economies
    - return of inflation - but possibly temporary. 
    - moves to curb tech companies’ power ( but FTSE 100 doesnt have much tech)
    - shortages of Stuff. e.g. chips for new cars, but also stuff like steel, and a whole host of building materials
    - Brexit related trade issues
    - what Biden manages to get passed, and what not. 
    - stuff I didnt think of. Or a Black Swan

I’ll probably end up around 7400! 
  • Options
    Both of us close to being maxed out & for 2nd month running, have each won £25.

Pays for our tickets to Canterbury tonight....Hopefully a good omen ! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Rob7Lee said:

What about the father in law? His run of success that you have commented on is remarkable! 
    2x £25, he's seriously starting to pee me off :-)

EDIT; just got him to log in to his account as the months seem to trickle by and he gives me different information!

His last month without a win (he's had the maximum amount for years) was July 2018. So that's three years basically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

It's time for a steward's enquiry! It is unbelievable the odds of him winning month after month! 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

It's time for a steward's enquiry! It is unbelievable the odds of him winning month after month! 
    See above, his account shows the last blank month as July 2018!
  • Options
    7654 for me
  • Options
    2 x £25 for me this month, for £250 in the last 6 months.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    bobmunro said:
    7784 at year end.

I hope you're right!

I don't think I'll be that optimistic as it does look as though inflation might affect the markets and both Brexit and Covid are factors that may well cause a higher than usual inflation rate.

NB nothing on the premium bonds. That's two months running.
  • Options
    7594 for me please, think I will go a bit adventurous than last where I was to cautious 
  • Options
    7647 for me please.
  • Options
  • Options
    7495 for me.
  • Options