Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    Thought I'd throw this open, as it should be of interest to a fair few older bods. Investing for income.

I'm finally selling my UK house, which means I will no longer have the rental income it provided. We are in no rush to invest in property elsewhere so I would like to re-invest the proceeds mainly in investments that generate income. While I'll be more comfortable with funds - and for this I'm expecting great advice from my newly appointed IFA ;) - a buddy locally who really knows his stuff financially, shared details of his share portfolio which generates decent income..some up to 8% pa. 

So on the basis that *nobody is offering advice* I thought I'd share those equities he mentioned, and ask if anyone else cares to share any ideas for reliable income generating equities (or anything else).

He does well out of tobacco, which I'm not going to touch; he has shares in Philip Morris, the Altria parent, and the local Czech operation, Tabak. 

He has a couple in the banking sector even though he has misgivings about banks as businesses : Citigroup and Wells Fargo

He invests in two of the actual companies whose business is funds ( I like this idea): Schroders and Jupiter

He's got IBM, typical unfashionable but rock solid tech.

And he  has AT&T although he admits he's not sure if this will be a good choice.

Hopefully this is worth a general discussion, and I'll certainly be interested if any other punters have some holdings mainly for income.
    Surprised you aren’t seeking advice over on the Crypto thread  :)

Finally £25 for me this month from the PBs. Junior also got £25 but nothing for Mrs Chaz.
    Oh man, please don't :-) Had a Zoom call with my nephew last week, he wanted to talk to me about cryptos, get my opinion on something. Or so he said. Didnt want my opinion at all, as soon as he realised I'm still a sceptic, just wanted to convert me by suggesting I could "stake" cryptos. Lordie. 90 minutes later it ended, with me feeling very dispirited and hoping I hadn't been too hard on him. Next day my sister told me that after the call he'd been in upbeat mood and told her he'd had a 'good chat" with me. It's a cult, I tell ye.. ;)
    Staking stable coins/government issued stable coins is literally going to be the future of banking. I own a small amount of equity in a defi bank that will be launching products later this year with interest rates of 3-5%. This will be possible through staking their stable coins on aave (a defi lending protocol) with 100% of deposits insured by Lloyds of London whilst simultaneously be providing immediate liquidity to blue chip companies by purchasing their invoices.
    Hi @kentaddick this stablecoin phrase is something that seems to have appeared relatively recently (certainly since I stuck a toe in 3 years ago to try and learn more). My nephew was chucking the phrase around a lot in the chat I had with him. The other phrase he chucked around was "shitcoin". So what is the definition of "stablecoin"? As for "shitcoin", that is what he described Vechain as, when I mentioned it as my dabble...but he's a gobby bugger, no idea where he gets that trait from :-), so is he being unfair? He was slagging it for being  a coin that was quite complicated to buy, but as I recall that was the case with most of them 3 years ago. 
  • Options
    What would an IFA charge generally for assessing 2 pensions (ie move, consolidate etc), coming up with report and to then implement?
    Depends if they are Final Salary (DB) or Contribution based (DC). DB assessment & transfer is very costly & you now have to pay a fee just for a basic report, for which the FCA say the starting point should be to leave them where they are. The Company I work for charges a minimum £750 for an "Abridged" service, where you are getting a very basic report......or £4k for the whole kit & caboodle.

For DC schemes it's a lot cheaper & easier and the fees are usually % based - somewhere between 3% and 5% of the amount in the schemes, but again depends on the total amount. If it was in excess of £100k I'd probably charge less - say 2%. If it was in excess of £250k then probably 1%. I sometimes charge a flat fee of £750 if it's an easy case (ie, the existing plans & funds are pretty good & there isnt a lot of work involved). 

I generally start with a free initial meeting where the idea is to go through what you have & see what is needed. At the end of the meeting we would then agree if it's worth proceeding at which point we would agree the fee.

No idea what others would charge though & I would say that I am cheaper than most - especially for Lifers.
    They are DC schemes and would fall into your 1% charge. A Chartered Financial Planner (IFA), says their firms fees are 3% up to 250k, plus 2% over. The cost of a detailed review/recommendation report (2k), would be deducted IF I proceeded. 

Now, this maybe just their standard fee scale as I have not negotiated. I am looking to consolidate two pensions with different providers, into one with a different firm.
  • Options
    What would an IFA charge generally for assessing 2 pensions (ie move, consolidate etc), coming up with report and to then implement?
    Depends if they are Final Salary (DB) or Contribution based (DC). DB assessment & transfer is very costly & you now have to pay a fee just for a basic report, for which the FCA say the starting point should be to leave them where they are. The Company I work for charges a minimum £750 for an "Abridged" service, where you are getting a very basic report......or £4k for the whole kit & caboodle.

For DC schemes it's a lot cheaper & easier and the fees are usually % based - somewhere between 3% and 5% of the amount in the schemes, but again depends on the total amount. If it was in excess of £100k I'd probably charge less - say 2%. If it was in excess of £250k then probably 1%. I sometimes charge a flat fee of £750 if it's an easy case (ie, the existing plans & funds are pretty good & there isnt a lot of work involved). 

I generally start with a free initial meeting where the idea is to go through what you have & see what is needed. At the end of the meeting we would then agree if it's worth proceeding at which point we would agree the fee.

No idea what others would charge though & I would say that I am cheaper than most - especially for Lifers.
    They are DC schemes and would fall into your 1% charge. A Chartered Financial Planner (IFA), says their firms fees are 3% up to 250k, plus 2% over. The cost of a detailed review/recommendation report (2k), would be deducted IF I proceeded. 

Now, this maybe just their standard fee scale as I have not negotiated. I am looking to consolidate two pensions with different providers, into one with a different firm.
    Our firm has a similar fee structure but I always feel it's too expensive so usually reduce the fee down to something that is acceptable to both parties. I never want clients to feel that they are getting ripped off /charged too much so will usually err on the side of the client. I am free to charge whatever I feel is appropriate, although I do have to make it profitable for all concerned. 

Feel free to PM me if you would like further info. 
  • Options
    I've just noticed that Thomas sold 177,000 shares on 6th August, worth about GBP 2m.  Not sure if that belongs in this thread or somewhere else.  Maybe to boost the player budget and make up for the sponsorship shortfall?  Maybe to buy a few more custom guitars or a holiday home, who knows.

The last two quarterly results have not gone down well and the shares are languishing at just over $13 today.  When he sold to buy Charlton, they were twice as high.

There's progress but not at the pace justifying the high growth rating, which is also being hampered by expectations of rising rates and the impact on cash flow projections.  Director sales don't help share prices, regardless of the rationale and there's small investor chat about taking his eye off the ball with the football distraction.
  • Options
    @Rob7Lee

Been meaning to reply to your ask about funds...I noticed you don't  mention anything in the Sustainable sector. I've gone looking there in the last year or so and the funds have done well for me, notably (1y/3yr performance%), take a look:

Baillie Gifford Positive Change: 49/142 (!!)
    Janus Henderson Global Sustainable:28/67
    Rathbone Greenbank Global Sustainability 27/62
    Eden Tree Resp. &Sustain Equity: 28/37
    ASI UK Ethical Equity Ret 38/20

One caveat is that if you look closely at the holdings you might cynically feel that they look a bit like re-branded tech funds, with two of them showing Microsoft as their single biggest holding; however even a mug punter can work out why this sector should see a lot more growth, in which case its all about choosing the right fund manager.

I've got BG Positive Change in both my SIPP and ISA. Will have a look at the others.
  • Options

Our firm has a similar fee structure but I always feel it's too expensive so usually reduce the fee down to something that is acceptable to both parties. I never want clients to feel that they are getting ripped off /charged too much so will usually err on the side of the client. I am free to charge whatever I feel is appropriate, although I do have to make it profitable for all concerned. 

Feel free to PM me if you would like further info. 
    I will PM you over the next few days once I have recovered from watching last nights stream!!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    @Rob7Lee

Been meaning to reply to your ask about funds...I noticed you don't  mention anything in the Sustainable sector. I've gone looking there in the last year or so and the funds have done well for me, notably (1y/3yr performance%), take a look:

One caveat is that if you look closely at the holdings you might cynically feel that they look a bit like re-branded tech funds, with two of them showing Microsoft as their single biggest holding; however even a mug punter can work out why this sector should see a lot more growth, in which case its all about choosing the right fund manager.

I've got BG Positive Change in both my SIPP and ISA. Will have a look at the others.
    I've been doing some research over the last few days & some BG funds have fallen off a cliff this year, especially BG American & BG Discovery. The later is currently 412th out of 413 funds in the Global Equity sector YTD. Lindsell Train Global Equity is not much better..... 386 out of 413.

Need to review funds regularly.
  • Options
    BG American I sold out of 28th Jan, just keeping in the profit, price has still gone up in that time (20.43 to 20.81).

LT similar, I came out back in October last year although have made a small regular contribution. That one has gone from 4.57 to 5.16 in that time so not tragic.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Some BG funds really have fallen off a cliff this year. I rebalanced my portfolio a few months back and now have less sleepless nights (product of portfolio being largely in growth)!

I now hold a more diversified portfolio in terms of: Fund management company, locations (reduced China and US weighting), value and growth, a low fee tracker (that's outperformed many active to my surprise), large and small caps. 

Looks like an iffy week for markets. Ftse down 2pc atm.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    BG American I sold out of 28th Jan, just keeping in the profit, price has still gone up in that time (20.43 to 20.81).

LT similar, I came out back in October last year although have made a small regular contribution. That one has gone from 4.57 to 5.16 in that time so not tragic.
    Just trying to get to grips with your trading strategy there ! :) As I read it, you sold your LT holding, but then started buying back using regular payments. If that's correct, how does the outcome there compare with just leaving it in place? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Just trying to get to grips with your trading strategy there ! :) As I read it, you sold your LT holding, but then started buying back using regular payments. If that's correct, how does the outcome there compare with just leaving it in place? 
    I was paying in regularly anyway so just continued, but cashed in the profit and moved some to the Vanguard funds which have outperformed LT since then so seems to have been the right move. Of course you could argue I'd have done slightly better not keeping the regular payments but we are talking very small amounts here.

Not sure I have a defined strategy, just when I see a large increase over a short period in one fund I try to take some profit but becoming more difficult where to then put that profit. Namely on the basis that you see a lot of funds outperform one year and then die on their ass the next! Very few have been top percentile over a long period.

It seems to have worked so far! My ii SIPP is now at £566k, when I moved it last year was around £430k give or take. I've still got my Fidelity SIPP open (like to have a back up provider) although that's only at around £55k, and then my works pension which has just reached double figure 1,000's but only started that last November and has about £12.5k going in per annum, so could get to £100k or so by the time I'm 55.

I also try and sit down at least once a year to look at rebalancing the exposure. I'm 50 next year so can start to draw down In another 5 years or so, so really should be looking to de-risk a little soon. Although I'm a little undecided on that one. I'd always planned to pack up the city at about 53, which I may still do, although really enjoying my current role and although I said I'd give them minimum 5 years it's looking like that can easily be extended (I'm not on a contract, more a gentleman's agreement as they were worried I'd only do 2-3 years and they wanted 5 minimum). If I continue working I'll just leave the SIPP's.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I was paying in regularly anyway so just continued, but cashed in the profit and moved some to the Vanguard funds which have outperformed LT since then so seems to have been the right move. Of course you could argue I'd have done slightly better not keeping the regular payments but we are talking very small amounts here.

Not sure I have a defined strategy, just when I see a large increase over a short period in one fund I try to take some profit but becoming more difficult where to then put that profit. Namely on the basis that you see a lot of funds outperform one year and then die on their ass the next! Very few have been top percentile over a long period.

It seems to have worked so far! My ii SIPP is now at £566k, when I moved it last year was around £430k give or take. I've still got my Fidelity SIPP open (like to have a back up provider) although that's only at around £55k, and then my works pension which has just reached double figure 1,000's but only started that last November and has about £12.5k going in per annum, so could get to £100k or so by the time I'm 55.

I also try and sit down at least once a year to look at rebalancing the exposure. I'm 50 next year so can start to draw down In another 5 years or so, so really should be looking to de-risk a little soon. Although I'm a little undecided on that one. I'd always planned to pack up the city at about 53, which I may still do, although really enjoying my current role and although I said I'd give them minimum 5 years it's looking like that can easily be extended (I'm not on a contract, more a gentleman's agreement as they were worried I'd only do 2-3 years and they wanted 5 minimum). If I continue working I'll just leave the SIPP's.
    Might want to watch the LTA. I know a lot of people arent bothered if they exceed it but there might be better ways of saving rather than pay excess tax on retirement. 

Then again, I doubt if I need to give you or @PragueAddick any investment advice....😉.  
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Might want to watch the LTA. I know a lot of people arent bothered if they exceed it but there might be better ways of saving rather than pay excess tax on retirement. 

Then again, I doubt if I need to give you or @PragueAddick any investment advice....😉.  
    I am wary of it, if I end up continuing to work in the city past 53/54 I'll probably stop paying in and just take the cash again which I did for a while anyway.
  • Options
    My investments are like any thing else always an element of luck. I have a share account and share ISA. I have been moving shares across from account to the ISA each year. Not allowed to transfer so have to sell and re purchase.  I have had National Grid shares in there for years. Sold about £8000 worth yesterday. I need to see that settle, move the cash over and re purchase in the ISA. 

MY luck first thing this morning 99 shares in the FTSE100 were down.. only one was up…. Guess which one….  YES…. NG… couldn’t make that up …
  • Options
    My investments are like any thing else always an element of luck. I have a share account and share ISA. I have been moving shares across from account to the ISA each year. Not allowed to transfer so have to sell and re purchase.  I have had National Grid shares in there for years. Sold about £8000 worth yesterday. I need to see that settle, move the cash over and re purchase in the ISA. 

MY luck first thing this morning 99 shares in the FTSE100 were down.. only one was up…. Guess which one….  YES…. NG… couldn’t make that up …
    Look at it another way, assuming the FTSE100 doesn't move back up over the next few days you can buy in at a lower level. Also, exchanging a fund that holds 50-100 UK shares it better than hold just 1 company's shares. Diversification is key.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Of interest to those of us sticking with Lindsell Train Global Equity..snippet from H-L's latest review of the fund:

"An investment in Juventus, the Italian football club, also dragged on returns. Following their involvement in the breakaway European Super League, the managers have engaged with the board to express their disappointment and continue to monitor the situation and its potential impact on their investment. "

Ha! 

I knew they had bought Juventus. I also read that they invested in Celtic, wonder if they still do. They are generally reluctant to sell.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    @Rob7Lee

I've been doing some research over the last few days & some BG funds have fallen off a cliff this year, especially BG American & BG Discovery. The later is currently 412th out of 413 funds in the Global Equity sector YTD. Lindsell Train Global Equity is not much better..... 386 out of 413.

Need to review funds regularly.
    I am currently in the BG American, are there any alternatives that you would recommend?
  • Options
    Novacyt up over 40% in the last 5 days - has had a pretty disastrous year but I think it was oversold. 
  • Options
    End of the month, 4 months to go;

FTSE100 Level7119.7  

NameLevelVariance% Variance
    Salad710019.70.28%
    Thread Killer715939.30.55%
    @TelMc32708039.70.56%
    thecat717555.30.78%
    Addick Addick7220100.31.41%
    cafc7-6htfc7228108.31.52%
    No.1 in South London6985134.71.89%
    Redman7255135.31.90%
    Fortune 82nd Minute7280160.32.25%
    Pedro457297177.32.49%
    Morboe7312192.32.70%
    Daarrrzzettbum7333213.33.00%
    wwaddick7340220.33.09%
    PragueAddick7350230.33.23%
    StrikerFirmani7355235.33.30%
    golfaddick7375255.33.59%
    Bangkokaddick7390270.33.80%
    blackpool727400280.33.94%
    RalphMilne7415295.34.15%
    Killer Kish7440320.34.50%
    Exiledin Manchester7450330.34.64%
    gunnessaddick7458338.34.75%
    Housty7466346.34.86%
    oohaahmortimer6767352.74.95%
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty7495375.35.27%
    CAFCWest7501381.35.36%
    Rob7Lee7505385.35.41%
    Covered End7512392.35.51%
    meldrew667535415.35.83%
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub7544424.35.96%
    Gary Poole7574454.36.38%
    CharltonKerry7594474.36.66%
    Huskaris7596476.36.69%
    holyjo7612492.36.91%
    IdleHans7634514.37.22%
    LargeAddick7647527.37.41%
    valleynick667654534.37.50%
    MrOneLung7654534.37.50%
    KentAddick7676556.37.81%
    fat man on a moped7681561.37.88%
    HardyAddick7692572.38.04%
    Lonelynorthernaddick7700580.38.15%
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 6500619.78.70%
    bobmunro7784664.39.33%

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Premium Bonds;

£25 each for my wife and I, Nothing for elder daughter, 1x£50 for younger daughter (didn't even know they did £50's still).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £25 for me.
  • Options
    £25 for the missus, nought for me.
  • Options
    and £75 for my ever lucky Father in law...
  • Options
    £75 for me this month!!  :)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    £50 for jnr, £25 for me and nothing for Mrs Chaz. Waiting apprehensively for the new Nationwide Members draw on 14th now.  :)
  • Options
    Looked through the long list of winners and amazed at how many of them purchased their bonds in the last 3 years. Very rare any bonds pre 2000 win.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I demand a steward's enquiry into this!

The odds of him winning every month, given the reduction in prizes that has taken place over recent years, are huge.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I demand a steward's enquiry into this!

The odds of him winning every month, given the reduction in prizes that has taken place over recent years, are huge.
    It does seem very odd. As does @Addickendi point above. 
  • Options
    nothing for second month on a trot, wondering now whether it is better being invested in a stock and shares isa
  • Options
    nothing for second month on a trot, wondering now whether it is better being invested in a stock and shares isa
    Depends on the need for the money & your risk attitude. If you think you might need it in the short term and/or are risk adverse then PB's are a safe home. Apart from that a stocks & shares ISA should be considered very strongly. Certainly if you dont need the money for 3 years plus.