Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    redman said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I don't think you are likely to see 1 year fixes increase in line with the base rate moving TBH.

The longer fixes will be interesting as a not a lot in a 2 year v 5 year fix with a lot of places, indicating they've already priced in a certain amount of increase in the up to 2 year fix.

Today will be interesting, many predicting a 0.5-0.75 increase. Some people with mortgage fixes coming to an end are going to be in a whole lot of pain. Here comes the crash!!
    Are you suggesting a house price crash? 
    Depends on definition of crash. I believe actual sale prices will reduce over the coming 2-3 years (unless the government make significant changes). I don't think it will be huge, but there are already signs of sales struggling. On rightmove in and around my area just about every other house is showing as 'reduced' but may be currently they were pushing for unrealistic prices.
  • Options
    0.5% increase on the base rate. Let's see what happens to savings interest (probably very little).
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    0.5% increase on the base rate. Let's see what happens to savings interest (probably very little).
    Marcus up 0.3% to 1.55% (1.8% with the bonus).
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    After todays announcement Saga have just increased mine from 1.4% to 1.55%.  So only passing on 0.15% of the 0.5% rise.  I had already started withdrawing my money from them and moving to Gateway Bank which was offering 2% before todays rise. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    After todays announcement Saga have just increased mine from 1.4% to 1.55%.  So only passing on 0.15% of the 0.5% rise.  I had already started withdrawing my money from them and moving to Gateway Bank which was offering 2% before todays rise. 
    Don't forget that account has a bonus of .25% to add to the 1.55% so you should be getting 1.8% on it.

But agree there are other better options out there. 
  • Options
    Chase at 1.5% now looking poor. Wonder if they will increase it?
  • Options
    I emailed them.  They said that their rates are not linked to the BOE rate.  Didn't suggest they would be revising - but who knows.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    I emailed them.  They said that their rates are not linked to the BOE rate.  Didn't suggest they would be revising - but who knows.
    They will be losing a huge chunk of their deposits if they don't.
  • Options
    Mini budget interesting.

Decent reduction in Stamp duty and 1p off the base rate from April, surprised the removal of the top rate though.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Mini budget interesting.

Decent reduction in Stamp duty and 1p off the base rate from April, surprised the removal of the top rate though.
    Markets don't like it. FTSE100 down 1.75% to 7035. Might be time to put up our considered thinking guesses for the end of the year. I think I had around 7050  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Mini budget interesting.

Markets don't like it. FTSE100 down 1.75% to 7035. Might be time to put up our considered thinking guesses for the end of the year. I think I had around 7050  :)
    Yes as at now you are top of the league! But a long way to go

FTSE100 Level7,033.00  

PositionNameLevelVariance% Variance
     golfaddick7050170.24%
     WishIdStayedInThe Pub7000330.47%
     Gary Poole7074410.58%
     meldrew666977560.80%
     IdleHans6950831.18%
     thecat7124911.29%
     Pedro4571331001.42%
     PragueAddick71401071.52%
     Fortune 82nd Minute71591261.79%
     Thread Killer71661331.89%
     cafc7-6htfc72021692.40%
     Rob7Lee72342012.86%
     HardyAddick72502173.09%
     wwaddick72502173.09%
     fat man on a moped72522193.11%
     Hoof_it_up_to_benty72652323.30%
     oohaahmortimer67892443.47%
     CAFCWest72992663.78%
     cafcpolo73032703.84%
     KentAddick67502834.02%
     Daarrrzzettbum73232904.12%
     Jamescafc73252924.15%
     Morboe73373044.32%
     LargeAddick73473144.46%
     CharltonKerry73753424.86%
     bobmunro73983655.19%
     Covered End74123795.39%
     Bangkokaddick74153825.43%
     blackpool7274504175.93%
     TheGhostofTomHovi74764436.30%
     RalphMilne74964636.58%
     Lonelynorthernaddick75004676.64%
     holyjo75435107.25%
     CAFC, we hate palace75505177.35%
     StrikerFirmani75505177.35%
     Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 65005337.58%
     No.1 in South London64755587.93%
     Addick Addict76526198.80%
     guinnessaddick76546218.83%
     @TelMc32777774410.58%
     valleynick66789986612.31%
     MrOneLung795592213.11%
  • Options
    Markets truly spooked by the mini budget 😬 
  • Options
    yep, FTSE100 falling through the floor. Currently holding at 7000 points although did fall through that a few minutes ago. Down 2.25%.
  • Options
    yep, FTSE100 falling through the floor. Currently holding at 7000 points although did fall through that a few minutes ago. Down 2.25%.
    buy buy buy!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    buy buy buy!
    maybe next week. Wouldn't want to go knife catching.
  • Options
    all eyes on how US markets open... its not looking good bruv.
  • Options
    seriously considering putting everything into cash now i think we've come to the end of the rally. What say the hivemind?
    did i nail the local top before deep recession?
  • Options
    At least my piddly USD savings are doing well…
  • Options
    Some crazy moves in SONIA curve.  Dec-23 rates and beyond up 70bps+.  And cable getting buried, market really doesn't like what they've announced
  • Options
    I don't think this government are any good with money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The markets don't like long-term thinking, they like quick results.  They've got used to handouts too.  

They'll spend the next couple of days sorting out the winners and losers from this.  I hedged most of this fall but I'm feeding back in now - for a short while, at least.  Long way to go in this bear market.
  • Options
    Some crazy moves in SONIA curve.  Dec-23 rates and beyond up 70bps+.  And cable getting buried, market really doesn't like what they've announced
    Errrrr….

I didn’t know we had a hi-fi thread on CL😉

But seriously, please explain for the rest of us, I am sure it is interesting.
  • Options
    Implied one year yields of 5.37% in Jun 23.   I think today was a capitulation of any stale longs plus the new info ingested into the curve.  1yr vs 3mth curve implied as 5bps inverted in June next year as opposed to 153bps steep out of this September.  Strap yourselves in!
  • Options
    wwaddick said:
    Implied one year yields of 5.37% in Jun 23.   I think today was a capitulation of any stale longs plus the new info ingested into the curve.  1yr vs 3mth curve implied as 5bps inverted in June next year as opposed to 153bps steep out of this September.  Strap yourselves in!
    I can't be the only one who has no idea what any of this means?
  • Options
    wwaddick said:
    I can't be the only one who has no idea what any of this means?
    Basically, it's the interest rate futures market saying that rates are likely to go up steeply until mid-year 2023 then start to fall, presumably as recession starts to bite.  All in all, it's not a pretty picture, but of course markets have been wrong many times!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I don't think you are likely to see 1 year fixes increase in line with the base rate moving TBH.

The longer fixes will be interesting as a not a lot in a 2 year v 5 year fix with a lot of places, indicating they've already priced in a certain amount of increase in the up to 2 year fix.

Today will be interesting, many predicting a 0.5-0.75 increase. Some people with mortgage fixes coming to an end are going to be in a whole lot of pain. Here comes the crash!!
    Mortgage fixed rates are interesting at the moment. Shorter 2 & 3 year ones are startimg to get more expensive than the longer 5 year ones, which has never been the case in the past. 
    does this mean mortgage companies/banks are expecting interest rates to go back down in 5 years?

Look at the SWAP market and that is exactly what the curve suggests.  Rates peak next year then come back is general consensus.  2yr SWAP nearly 5% today, 5yr at 4.5%.
  • Options
    I have a fair amount of money in USD stocks and ISAs. Just about to sell most of them. Although the values have gone down, with the GBP/USD ROE, I've actually made a profit in sterling. Time to take some of this currency profit and maybe reinvest when markets are more stable. 

Good decision or bad?
  • Options
    I have a fair amount of money in USD stocks and ISAs. Just about to sell most of them. Although the values have gone down, with the GBP/USD ROE, I've actually made a profit in sterling. Time to take some of this currency profit and maybe reinvest when markets are more stable. 

Good decision or bad?
    probably a decent idea, imo. 
  • Options

Good decision or bad?
    Never a bad thing to take profits. Whether now is the time to cash in & sit on the sidelines no-one can answer. 
  • Options
    £ hit its lowest ever level vs the dollar since decimalisation. Wow.