Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Anyone seeing the show or reading the script?

I'm going to buy the script, loved all the books as a teenager and I'm intrigued. Wish I'd got tickets for the show now, will have to try next time.

Can't wait until my daughters are old enough to read the books to - hoping I can stop them seeing the films first but I doubt I'll manage it.

Comments

• Options
    Saw it 3-weeks ago, do you want spoilers??
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Saw it 3-weeks ago, do you want spoilers??

The butler did it
  • Options
    Interesting on the books v films. The books were written I guess with the idea they were read from the first year in senior school or maybe a year or two before.

The Ronald Dahl kids books were clearly written for 9 year olds and up but are now read by six year olds.

Still I think 9 or 10 before the potter books can be read by kids on their own, interested to hear anyone has tried this though
  • Options

Interesting on the books v films. The books were written I guess with the idea they were read from the first year in senior school or maybe a year or two before.

The Ronald Dahl kids books were clearly written for 9 year olds and up but are now read by six year olds.

Still I think 9 or 10 before the potter books can be read by kids on their own, interested to hear anyone has tried this though

It's difficult - the first 2 or 3 are definitely more 'kiddy', but the latter ones get more dark so I wouldn't read them to a 7 or 8 year old like I think you could with the first one.
  • Options
    Grow up!
  • Options

Grow up!

I have - I didn't go to get it at midnight like I used to!!
  • Options
    I'm just kidding. It's much better to be into Harry Potter than that f***ing Pokemon thing!
  • Options

I'm just kidding. It's much better to be into Harry Potter than that f***ing Pokemon thing!

I really wouldn't be surprised if we see a 'augmented reality' Harry Potter app sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    More tickets go on sale on 4th August - for the second half of 2017!! Still, having read all the books, and seen all the films as a family event with my ex-sister-in-law and her daughters, we'll be doing our best to get tickets for July next year.

I sell Harry Potter collectables as part of my on-line business, so if anyone wants anything, I'll donate a % of the price to CARD or a charity of your choice if you're anti-CARD.
  • Options

More tickets go on sale on 4th August - for the second half of 2017!! Still, having read all the books, and seen all the films as a family event with my ex-sister-in-law and her daughters, we'll be doing our best to get tickets for July next year.

I sell Harry Potter collectables as part of my on-line business, so if anyone wants anything, I'll donate a % of the price to CARD or a charity of your choice if you're anti-CARD.

Fire me the website matey! I'll have a browse, shamelessly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

More tickets go on sale on 4th August.

I'll be at work annoyingly!
  • Options
    Saw it two weeks ago, I thought it was fantastic well worth the five hours in total
  • Options

Fire me the website matey! I'll have a browse, shamelessly.
    @Atletico Addick Done. Anything takes your fancy, let me know and I'll send you an invoice.
  • Options
    Is this the book that came out yesterday? If so my daughter got it and finished it quicker than the play.
  • Options
    Anyone seen this yet? Intrigued if people think it's good.

Though with the scarcity of tickets and the price of tout sites it might not matter anyway!
  • Options

my 6 year old is now onto the 3rd or 4th book....absolutely loves them and the films
  • Options
    I saw them both on the same day when preview tickets were released and thought they were fantastic. Brilliant characters and special effects, highly recommend if you can get tickets.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    If the one joke he can think of is 'It's a kid's book', you know it can't be too bad.
  • Options

DRAddick said:
    If the one joke he can think of is 'It's a kid's book', you know it can't be too bad.
    it is. It's not that well written, she's very shrewd business person i'll give rowling that but she's not a great author.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I read it the day it came out. It's a good follow to be honest
  • Options
    edited February 2017

DRAddick said:
    it is. It's not that well written, she's very shrewd business person i'll give rowling that but she's not a great author.

Not a great author ? Remind me how many books she's sold and how many films have been made from those books ?

Unbelievable Jeff.

Edit : 450 million books worldwide in 73 languages.

What a crap author.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

Not a great author ? Remind me how many books she's sold and how many films have been made from those books ?

Unbelievable Jeff.

What a crap author.
    Obviously everything is subjective, but for me Populism is not a great gauge of how good or bad something is.

I would regard myself somewhat as a Harry Potter fan having read all the books, but in my opinion they certainly decrease in quality after the 4th book. I would say Rowling wrote a fantastic world, but shite story.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

Her books have persuaded many thousands of kids to read ...that's a good enough definition of a great author for me.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

Unbelievable Jeff.

What a crap author.
    Obviously everything is subjective, but for me Populism is not a great gauge of how good or bad something is.

I would regard myself somewhat as a Harry Potter fan having read all the books, but in my opinion they certainly decrease in quality after the 4th book. I would say Rowling wrote a fantastic world, but shite story.
    I've never read one but am able to accept that if 450 million people want to read her work then I think it transcends "popularism". As for shite stories, well I guess that the box office would tend contradict that.

Her works have reached and inspired more people to read books than an avalanche of "worthy" Booker prize winners.

• Options
    Off to see both in a couple of weeks time - booked the tickets over a year ago
  • Options
    They are children's books though.
  • Options

my 6 year old is now onto the 3rd or 4th book....absolutely loves them and the films
    @Elthamaddick I've got some original props from the films, if you want to bring him over to have a look at them, drop me a PM.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

DRAddick said:

Unbelievable Jeff.

What a crap author.

I've never read one but am able to accept that if 450 million people want to read her work then I think it transcends "popularism". As for shite stories, well I guess that the box office would tend contradict that.

Her works have reached and inspired more people to read books than an avalanche of "worthy" Booker prize winners.

I agree the books aren't that well written, but the overall story is very good. I think she does a better job of writing the Robert Galbraith books.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

Unbelievable Jeff.

What a crap author.

Bollocks do they decrease in quality after 4 - quite the reverse in fact.
    After 4 the theme becomes decidedly more adult and dark.
    As for not well written I suspect there is a large element of snobbery at work amongst many of her detractors.
    I'd concede I might not have got into the first story had I not had kids of roughly the same age as the characters but from Chamber of Secrets on I was hooked. Easy to read and thoroughly entertaining.