Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1009 runs not out!!

An Indian schoolboy has just set a new world record by scoring 1009 runs not out. Perhaps Kent should sign him up now!! He is 15 yrs old from Mumbai, he is currently on trial today at Leicestershire!!

Here are the details of the game-:

KC Gandhi English School 1465 for 3 dec (Dhanawade 1009*, Aakash 173, Patil 137) beat Arya Gurukul 31 (Patil 5-3) and 52 (8-16) by an innings and 1382 runs

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't this last year?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    CHG said:

Wasn't this last year?

January this year, but arrived today in Leicester hence the mention as on our local BBC news this evening.
  • Options
    Hell of a knock, would love to see if he is any good. Heard those runs were against a very weak side
  • Options

An Indian schoolboy has just set a new world record by scoring 1009 runs not out. Perhaps Kent should sign him up now!! He is 15 yrs old from Mumbai, he is currently on trial today at Leicestershire!!

Here are the details of the game-:

KC Gandhi English School 1465 for 3 dec (Dhanawade 1009*, Aakash 173, Patil 137) beat Arya Gurukul 31 (Patil 5-3) and 52 (8-16) by an innings and 1382 runs

Excellent deduction Poirot
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

It was a fucking awful bit of sportsmanship all told. Here's a list of some of the issues (both real and potential):

- They'd bowled out a side of players two years younger than them (massive difference at that age), many of whom were playing for the first time, for 31.
    - Only five batsmen batted. What happened to the other six youngsters who likely had to take time out of school? Waste of time for them.
    - Why is someone obviously way, WAY too good batting?
    - Why is he batting for SO LONG?
    - Can a bunch of 15 year olds really score an innings of 1k without mistake? And at a strike rate of 300?!
    - There is allegedly a video of said innings where all he's doing is knocking it about, with like one big shot.

Basically it was a totally unproductive thing to do and totally pointless innings.

Agreed - I got about 80 in the park once and my Grandad told me to stop it and give the other kids a go.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have enforced the follow-on.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I wouldn't have enforced the follow-on.

Arya Gurukul won the toss and batted first, so there was no follow-on.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

It was a fucking awful bit of sportsmanship all told. Here's a list of some of the issues (both real and potential):

- They'd bowled out a side of players two years younger than them (massive difference at that age), many of whom were playing for the first time, for 31.
    - Only five batsmen batted. What happened to the other six youngsters who likely had to take time out of school? Waste of time for them.
    - Can a bunch of 15 year olds really score an innings of 1k without mistake? And at a strike rate of 300?!
    - There is allegedly a video of said innings where all he's doing is knocking it about, with like one big shot.

Basically it was a totally unproductive thing to do and totally pointless innings.

Here's two more questions.

1. Having scored 652 on day one, beating the previous highest-ever score, what did he or his team have to gain by continuing to bat, other than humiliating the opposition?

2. What sort of person reaches a thousand not out and still doesn't quit? I'd expect even Yorkshire batsman to stop at that point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wish, in a way, I hadn't started the thread, all I did was copy and paste the result (so no deduction from me) and thought it was interesting for the cricket followers on here. Oh well my mistake.
  • Options

Wish, in a way, I hadn't started the thread, all I did was copy and paste the result (so no deduction from me) and thought it was interesting for the cricket followers on here. Oh well my mistake.

Sorry Red! I love my cricket (scored a career-best not very many runs at the weekend, and will be playing in lieu of going to the first few home Saturday matches initially) and if he's on trial at Leics then fair play to the lad - but it's one of those slightly unsavoury things about some aspects of cricket.

There are teams we play on Sundays who we try to "engineer" a match with, and the idea is to get a close, enjoyable game of cricket. Then there are teams - who we haven't played since - who will rock up with five 1st XI players (to give you an idea here, I'm at best a mediocre 4th XI player) who do all the batting and bowling, score 300 in 40 overs with two blokes scoring tons, and then two of the other blokes taking 5 wickets each opening the bowling and getting us done over in like 18 overs for barely three figures.

It's not enjoyable, and at both friendly and development/age cricket level, battering the opposition does no good for anyone.

Imagine our development team playing, I dunno, Villacourt Rovers U16s. That's how big the gulf would be.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Is there anything that someone of Charlton Life can't find a way to get outraged about?
    Well I for one am outraged that you think I'm outraged.

Outrageous claim.
  • Options
    Is there still a cricket conference thing you can get fixtures in?
    Where if you had a spare week you could say you wanted a home/away game against a strong/medium/weak side and the conference would then match you up.

Had some absolute ridiculous Mis-matches back when I was playing.
    Having to start a beer match because the actual match was all over and the teas hadn't even been prepared.
  • Options

Where if you had a spare week you could say you wanted a home/away game against a strong/medium/weak side and the conference would then match you up.

Having to start a beer match because the actual match was all over and the teas hadn't even been prepared.

I think you can go through either the play-cricket website or through the Kent League/Kent Regional League or something, yeah...

Are you attached to a club in the league, by the way? ... My club is currently 11 short (not even joking, like 33 players for four teams)
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I think you can go through either the play-cricket website or through the Kent League/Kent Regional League or something, yeah...

Are you attached to a club in the league, by the way? ... My club is currently 11 short (not even joking, like 33 players for four teams)
    Not anymore.
    Played for Greenwich Borough back in late 80s early 90s.
    Had a couple of seasons about 10 years ago with a dads and lads side that basically played as shootershillians Sunday 2nd XI.
    Then had a season for old elthamians Sunday side.
    Prefer spending the afternoon sitting on the grass with a beer watching these days.