Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nike pull out of Golf

Nike have announced they are pulling out of making Bags, balls and clubs and will purely be focused on Shoes and clothing. Obviously this means players like Woods, Mcllroy, Wie, Koepka will be free agents - However with Adidas already looking to sell off its own golf divisions (such as Taylor Made), it could be interesting to see who goes where. Mizuno were very quick on twitter to say they were holding open try outs to any Nike players :-)

Dicks sporting goods have already discounted Nike clubs by 40% in the states, so you may find some bargains in the coming weeks, if you like their clubs.

Comments

• Options
    Don't think I've seen many people with Nike clubs. If you're going to spend that sort of money most people seem to go for the traditional golf brands.
  • Options
    Probably not helped by the story that Rory couldn't use their clubs after he switched to them and his game plummeted
  • Options

Don't think I've seen many people with Nike clubs. If you're going to spend that sort of money most people seem to go for the traditional golf brands.

Their wedges are first class. Unconvinced by their drivers
  • Options

Probably not helped by the story that Rory couldn't use their clubs after he switched to them and his game plummeted

I think the initial clubs that came out when Woods signed were pretty poor, the later ones were better but not a patch on Taylor Made or Ping.

It was always style over substance.

I am actually looking for a new set, I think I am going to go back to Mizuno for my Irons years ago I had TP9's (Faldo Masters win's), I recently tried some of the new MP25's and found them good better than the Taylor Made PSi
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Their wedges are first class. Unconvinced by their drivers
    I love my Nike irons & wedges, but replaced the drivers. When I got it right they were amazing, but far too scatter gun, probably far too good for me, but the cheap replacements I got get the job done with far less fuss.
  • Options
    Bought a set of Adams hybrid irons and they are the nuts, much easier to hit off the fairway and especially out of the rough (where I spend most of my time).....I'm yet to find a driver I like of can really get on with, any tips for a average 20-22 handicapper who plays about half a dozen times a year, my driver fades massively left to right (only club that really does that)
  • Options
    probably more to do with your swing than the club. If you hit a good 3 wood there really is no need to buy a new driver. Look at Stenson he rarely hits his driver because he hits his 3 wood so long and straight.

• Options

probably more to do with your swing than the club. If you hit a good 3 wood there really is no need to buy a new driver. Look at Stenson he rarely hits his driver because he hits his 3 wood so long and straight.

That's where I need to get to. My 4 hybrid generally 200-220 yards and within confines of playable grass, but always struggle once I step up to a longer club. Would be nice to be able to control the 3 wood better and add a few more yards.
  • Options
    We do get obsessed by length, I hit my driver about 280-290 and I would still love an extra 10-15yrds. but when you think about how many shots you can save by keeping it in play, the extra yardage doesnt matter. Better to be good with wedges than a driver
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I recently took up golf and have a set of Wilson Reds. Bought them because they were fairly cheap and didn't want to spend loads before I got better. Now I'm around a 24/25 handicap and have no idea which clubs to upgrade to. I used a friends Mizuno irons and they were amazing compared to mine but he paid about £500 for 3-9 without a PW or SW. Really don't know what to go for without braking the bank. Hence why a big price drop in Nike irons will interest me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ChiAddick said:

I recently took up golf and have a set of Wilson Reds. Bought them because they were fairly cheap and didn't want to spend loads before I got better. Now I'm around a 24/25 handicap and have no idea which clubs to upgrade to. I used a friends Mizuno irons and they were amazing compared to mine but he paid about £500 for 3-9 without a PW or SW. Really don't know what to go for without braking the bank. Hence why a big price drop in Nike irons will interest me.

Makes perfect sense to go for Nike game improvement irons, such a the Vapor Fly's if you can get them at a good deal will be worth it, especially if you are a slower swinger of the club (otherwise try the Vapor Pro)
  • Options
    I've been playing nearly 30 years now and would suggest that before you buy you go to a driving range and get the pro to let you use different clubs from the pro shop. You will then find the best club for you and your swing.
    I've just had a set measured up for me at Callaway's head office and it's made a world of difference.
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

Makes perfect sense to go for Nike game improvement irons, such a the Vapor Fly's if you can get them at a good deal will be worth it, especially if you are a slower swinger of the club (otherwise try the Vapor Pro)
    As it goes I do have a slow back swing or do you mean the whole swing?
  • Options
    Onlyme said:

I've been playing nearly 30 years now and would suggest that before you buy you go to a driving range and get the pro to let you use different clubs from the pro shop. You will then find the best club for you and your swing.
    I've just had a set measured up for me at Callaway's head office and it's made a world of difference.

bet that cost you a fortune
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

I popped up the range & tried 4 or 5 different clubs, you could tell the difference with each set, feel, sound, connection and then where the ball went.

Best of the bunch for me were a set of Cobras, which I hadn't initially considered. All were in the range of £300-450, think the Cobras set me back £375 in the end.
  • Options

ChiAddick said:

I popped up the range & tried 4 or 5 different clubs, you could tell the difference with each set, feel, sound, connection and then where the ball went.

Best of the bunch for me were a set of Cobras, which I hadn't initially considered. All were in the range of £300-450, think the Cobras set me back £375 in the end.
    That's pretty good for a full set.
  • Options

Onlyme said:

bet that cost you a fortune
    Your not wrong!!