Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do the Olympics do it for you?

This is the first Olympics I feel no excitement for.
Dunno why but think it's a combination of cynicism anout drugs and money in sport.
And sports that quite frankly just don't seem right for the olympics.
So I remember them all since Tokyo in 64 but don't even know if I'ĺl watch any of it.
It's summed up for me by rugby 7s, beach volleyball, tennis and golf. Just the last nails as far as I'm concerned.
You?

Comments

• Options
    Yes better than sex
  • Options
    I like the athletics. Swimming goes on for eternity.
  • Options
    Agree completely- no interest at all. Nothing else to say really.
  • Options
    I'll watch the open in ceremony, but I'm not expecting it to be a patch on Danny Boyle's spectacle. I'll watch the road cycling and a few other sports may catch my eye, but frankly I'm still too sore about Olympic-politics to be that keen on it.
  • Options
    Must admit I am looking forward to it as always and as an insomniac I'll get to see loads :)

I love watching stuff that I never normally would like canoeing, archery etc and getting behind GB.

Also coming from a big gymnastics family I'll be glued to that and cheering our boys and girls on.

Very much agree on Tennis and Golf though, won't be watching a second of that and pleased that Rory said what he did a while back. I'd also add football into that group, no interest at all.
  • Options
    Love it all
  • Options
    Isn't it always like that though?

Complete disinterest before it starts but Once it gets going and Brits start getting into medal contention its compulsive viewing.
  • Options
    Love it. Doesn't seem to be much build up for Rio though. Pretty proud to have worked on the Olympics in London and fortunate to get tickets for it.
  • Options
    No, shall try and avoid it but it will be difficult
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will prob watch the 100 mtr final, a bit of swimming and some cycling, nothing live, just hi-lights.
  • Options
    I'm just hoping the opening ceremony is just 500 Brazilian women showing off their Brazilians
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I like the athletics. Swimming goes on for eternity.

They must have a massive and / or circular pool in Rio, then?

Or lots and lots and lots of turns.
  • Options

International 'Its a knockout' to see who has the most money and best pharmacist so big corporations can sell more sugary fizzy drinks and weak lager.

Complete joke but no doubt we will all get hysterical over GB victories in sailing, horse-riding, gliding, shooting, golf and other sports not even practised in 99% of the world's poorest countries. Might as well introduce lawn-trimming.

Should restrict it to track and field events and let the athletes take what drugs they fancy..that would be much more interesting.
  • Options
    Only really like the cycling, rowing and swimming. I find the rest bit of a bore fest
  • Options
    It's worth watching for Katerina Johnson-Thompson alone
  • Options
    I would be interested if there was a drug-soaked Olympics all out in the open to run alongside or after the normal 'clean' Olympics to see if nothing else, how quickly a human being is capable of swimming or sprinting with tons of ballistic anabolics and amphetamines coursing through their veins. At least when a few of them die mid race when their hearts explode it may put the rest off

The last one I was hugely interested in as I was involved heavily in the construction of a lot of infrastructure and the stadium leading up to and during. This one I'll be interested in more once it gets going
  • Options
    Some of the events are exciting, but the cost of hosting it and buying West Ham a stadium wreck it for me.
  • Options
    I never cared about the Olympics at all, until 2012 - and that wasn't because it was in London or anything, it was just that I happened to see a few sports on TV and thought "Ooh, this is fun, sports are enjoyable."

I'm looking forward to:
    Badminton
    Basketball
    Boxing (Can you imagine, fights just taking place without the ridiculous hype for months on end? No one's going to storm a press conference in a Batman costume.)
    Handball
    Volleyball
    Wiff-Waff
    (some) Cycling
    (some) Swimming

Olympic golf is stupid. Football should be 5- or 7-a-side, indoors, 20mins a half. Archery sounds cool, but it's mostly a guy aiming a contraption; it's not very watchable.
  • Options
    prefer the para olympics.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Starts at 11:40 tonight.
  • Options
    Jess Ennis Hill,nuff said ;)
  • Options
    Bored of this Olympics already. Can't turn the TV on without having to hear about the Zica virus or the Russian team.
  • Options
    For excitement you need look no further than the mens 10 meter air pistol event.
    Thunderous.

I like the Olympics but not all the events. When they brought in synchronised swimming I thought the world had ended, but then they introduced beach volleyball so it started up again.
  • Options

Only really like the cycling, rowing and swimming. I find the rest bit of a bore fest

Polar opposite for me, those 3 are a bore fest.

:- )
  • Options

Starts at 11:40 tonight.

Blimey you have to be a die hard if you are watching the opening ceremony, Team GB will not be coming out into the stadium until the early hours.
  • Options
    There's been little media coverage so far. But once it gets started I'll be watching loads.
  • Options
    love the olympics, pretty much all of it apart from the swimming though not sure why I don't like that

it's great to see track athletes actually racing rather than the set up races with pacemakers that we tend to get outside of championships
  • Options
    Love it, not every frigging sport of course, but it's great to dip into sports that you generally overlook. I'll not deny that it's often for flag-waving reasons (ie to see our boy/girl win), but that's sport for ya - always more interesting if you care about the outcome & not just pure sporting/technical prowess.

OPening night & the next day in 2012 (the cycling came near to where i live) was just great, will always have fond memories. 2 weeks out of every 208/9 - all the more special for coming around infrequently...