Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Options
    Seems he can't stop scoring. Looking forward to seeing him develop as and progress. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Crazy how Casey isnt getting close to the First Team at the moment 
    I don't think so. Possibly the odd sniff as a sub later in the season.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I don't think so. Possibly the odd sniff as a sub later in the season.

Sorry was out at the time so was posting in a rush... I more meant in the Cup games, especially the EFL Trophy - I guess he may have been, but London Senior Cup, and FA Youth Cup have annoyingly clashed
  • Options
    I remain interested in how others would describe Casey as a player.
    I fear that if he appeared in the first team it would naturally take a bit of time for him to find his feet (maybe not) and our support will question what all the fuss is about, maybe put Patrick under undue pressure.
    Weird though it seems to write, somebody might say 'apart from goals, what else does he offer to the team?'.
    Let him develop further is my feeling.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I'd give him a go on the bench. Tedic is doing absolutely zero. Casey deserves his chance and must feel a bit peeved to see M'bick jump ahead, it would only be natural.

Leaburn, Kanu, Casey and M'bick is quite a run of prolific kids we have never seen before (appreciate we are academy B U18s so they are not playing at the top level though).  Not sure how long Casey's contract is, we tend to give 2-3 years and then the first year is spent in our U21s and the contract is finishing by the time they are coming through which could be an issue.

The video made me think he is a simple knock for scoring a bit like one Alfie May.
  • Options
    Some strikers instinctively know where to be at any given time and what to do when they receive the ball. Patrick is clearly one of those who has a vision of where he wants to put that ball be it with the left or right foot or with his head. Whether he can ultimately do that in the first team remains to be seen but I do hope that we have learnt from the likes of Vardy, Alfie or even Paul Walsh, who was almost released by us at the age of 14 for being too small, that you actually need to give those players more time to develop than you might offer someone who already has the physicality required to make it.  
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Kap10 said:
    How old is he?

At least get a game for the pizza cup
    Turns 18 in a few weeks time.

5 well taken goals in the box by Casey despite the poor marking and some indifferent keeping. Looks very lively.

Patrick Casey is 18 and was born 19/02/05 so is 19 in February.
    Daniel Kanu was 19 two weeks ago and was born 14/11/04.
    So both Kanu and Casey were the same school year and Daniel is just 3 months older !
    Both prolific scores in academy football.

Micah Mbick only just turned 17 having been born on 08/11/06
  • Options
    Must be good reason why someone like Mbick is getting first team consideration over Casey? Perhaps physicality concerns? I’m not sure.

(Not saying Mbick isn’t deserving at all - only that Casey grabs the headlines on a regular basis)

First time I have seen Casey today and imo he would seriously struggle with the physical side of first team football (at the moment). A loan spell in "proper" football would probably be a good starting point. National League or National League South.
    Hopefully Dartford just before the Christmas double header against Welling  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Karoy was thrown in way too quickly this season. I don't quite know what Holden's game was there. 

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I remain interested in how others would describe Casey as a player.
    very Killeresque
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Karoy was thrown in way too quickly this season. I don't quite know what Holden's game was there. 

A) he didn't have anything like the squad we now have. No Wilson, Camara, Taylor etc.  Plus McG was injured.  He had little in the way of alternative.  In addition you never really know until you try. Look at Assimwe, also lobbed in too early but actually looks ready for his squad place.
  • Options
    Wonder if Mbick will be with the first team tomorrow as he wasn't involved at all. Wouldn't mind seeing Casey and Mbick on the bench at Gills. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Kap10 said:
    How old is he?

At least get a game for the pizza cup
    Turns 18 in a few weeks time.

5 well taken goals in the box by Casey despite the poor marking and some indifferent keeping. Looks very lively.

Patrick Casey is 18 and was born 19/02/05 so is 19 in February.
    Daniel Kanu was 19 two weeks ago and was born 14/11/04.
    So both Kanu and Casey were the same school year and Daniel is just 3 months older !
    Both prolific scores in academy football.

Micah Mbick only just turned 17 having been born on 08/11/06
    19/12/05 on the official website. I went by that. Anyone born before 1/9/05 is no longer eligible for U18 football.
  • Options
    Ive no idea whether Casey will make it at Charlton - he looks a bit light physically but wow you wont see 5 better goals than his today. They were all outstanding and Cardiff are no mugs. 
    It would be fantastic if he can carry on at the senior level. Let’s hope so
  • Options
    A common theme has been discussed about the light weight of Charlton players seems to run through out the club we don’t seem to have hardly any players who have a bit of steel in them . Anderson is one who has broke through into the first team but he was bullied off the ball today for the U21’s against Cardiff that has happened when he’s played for the first team as well. We need a few players that have a bit of bite about them rather than all tippy tappy, we miss someone like that in the first team .
  • Options
    A common theme has been discussed about the light weight of Charlton players seems to run through out the club we don’t seem to have hardly any players who have a bit of steel in them . Anderson is one who has broke through into the first team but he was bullied off the ball today for the U21’s against Cardiff that has happened when he’s played for the first team as well. We need a few players that have a bit of bite about them rather than all tippy tappy, we miss someone like that in the first team .
    I'd say we've had a few tenacious players come through (Asiimwe is physically capable of mixing it in the mens game, and is only 18), I think one of our issues is that many players in the youth setup are playing one or two years above their age group, so can seem physically overwhelmed at times. We've got 16, 17, 18 year olds regularly turning up against full grown men un the U21s, and still getting some decent results. The academy definitely has a 'football-first' ethos, where talented ball players are prioritised over players that may seem a level above due to having physically developed earlier. We just need to give the young players enough time to develop physically and get the game time when they need it, whether it be in the first team, or on loan at a lower level.
    Yes totally agree with the football first with Charlton academies always has been perhaps Scott Parker was probably the last player that got stuck in and that was after going out on loan to Norwich .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An interesting one. Trying to think of the last hard tackling midfielder we produced, or a rugged centre back like a Jason Pearce (as opposed to the classier Gomez and Konsa). 

Indeed when was the last dirty bastard we produced?

• Options
    Poyet, Doughty, Hanlan, Mambo, Pell, Wiredu I think could all look after themselves.

But more technical players is the way of the modern world. 

Plus maybe, larger more powerful players are spotted and end up a Palace and West Ham in Cat1 academies so we would really hard bringing through less physical but highly capable players.
  • Options
    An interesting one. Trying to think of the last hard tackling midfielder we produced, or a rugged centre back like a Jason Pearce (as opposed to the classier Gomez and Konsa). 

Indeed when was the last dirty bastard we produced?

I would say that a CB we did produce who was different to Gomez and Konsa was Michael Turner. He was Reserve Player of the Year when with us but never played a first team game but went onto have a very successful career in making over 500 appearances.  
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about Casey being a bit lightweight, he's still a kid. 

You can easily get a kid to bulk up, but you can't teach him how to score goals, that stuff comes naturally.
  • Options
    Just watched the goals, some of those finishes, reminded me of Super Clive! Looks a bit more natural finisher than Kanu! Kanu scored a lot of over the top type of goals. But it is such a big step up from u23 to first time now.. There needs to be a bridging team really.. If it was old skol reserve team, I would say put him in! Maybe on the bench for the Gills game!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Just watched the goals, some of those finishes, reminded me of Super Clive! Looks a bit more natural finisher than Kanu! Kanu scored a lot of over the top type of goals. But it is such a big step up from u23 to first time now.. There needs to be a bridging team really.. If it was old skol reserve team, I would say put him in! Maybe on the bench for the Gills game!
    Said exactly the same on the Patrick Casey thread. Good on the turn, gets shots off from unexpected angles, shot placement good.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Said exactly the same on the Patrick Casey thread. Good on the turn, gets shots off from unexpected angles, shot placement good.
    Watching yesterday at Princes Park he showed a fair amount of upper body strength. He could have a few more goals but for good goalkeeping and blocks. Such power from minimum backlift.
  • Options
    We are slated to play away against QPR this evening with a seven o’clock kick off at the Powerday Stadium, home of Hanwell Town.
    There have been occasions in the past, admittedly when at Loftus Road, when it has been possible to find a QPR stream for such an evening match. Possibly on your tube.
    I can’t find any such information for the game today, but it would be nice if there was a stream.
    Alternatively the stadium is in the Ealing area so I believe.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    We are slated to play away against QPR this evening with a seven o’clock kick off at the Powerday Stadium, home of Hanwell Town.
    There have been occasions in the past, admittedly when at Loftus Road, when it has been possible to find a QPR stream for such an evening match. Possibly on your tube.
    I can’t find any such information for the game today, but it would be nice if there was a stream.
    Alternatively the stadium is in the Ealing area so I believe.
    Directions to the Stadium on the link below.
     https://hanwelltown.com/about-us/your-visit/
  • Options
    Game 𝗢𝗙𝗙 ❌   

Tonight's clash with Charlton Athletic has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch 🌧