Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Nathan Fox has played as a triallist before.
  • seth plum said:

Nathan Fox has played as a triallist before.

He looks decent but a bit skinny. Seems 4-3-3 but none of the frontline seem to drop deep so its a stroll for them to attack us.
  • Hope the lads get a win for Euellie's 40th birthday today
  • PR FC ‏@QPRFC 8m8 minutes ago
    More
    50' @CAFCofficial on top since the re-start, with Dieng doing well to deny Bowry at point-blank range following a

QPR FCVerified account
    @QPRFC

57' @reececox9 again goes close, firing just over from the edge of the box (2-2) #QPRU23
  • Oggy Red said:

That is Revel Morrison lining up for them.

I wonder why Dasilva doesn't get a run out in this game.

Good point, Henry.

Okay, it's an U23 development team fixture, but I'm surprised that generally they don't get better used to help keep a non-playing 1st team squad player match fit.
    As you say, ideal for Da Silva (or the the new Arsenal lad) to put them through their paces or a player returning from injury.

From memory, which is currently shocking, do these 'youth' loan players sometimes return to parent clubs to play U23/21 games ?
  • Oggy Red said:

Good point, Henry.

Okay, it's an U23 development team fixture, but I'm surprised that generally they don't get better used to help keep a non-playing 1st team squad player match fit.
    As you say, ideal for Da Silva (or the the new Arsenal lad) to put them through their paces or a player returning from injury.

From memory, which is currently shocking, do these 'youth' loan players sometimes return to parent clubs to play U23/21 games ?
    Not our incoming loans as not youth loans but some of our outward loans come back to us to play U23 game for us.
  • More
    70' Dieng comes to the R's rescue, denying Kennedy his hat-trick after patching onto a misplaced pass (2-2) #QPRU23
  • Oggy Red said:

Good point, Henry.

Not our incoming loans as not youth loans but some of our outward loans come back to us to play U23 game for us.
    Ahh that's it.
    So back to original thoughts, why are they not involved today
  • Oggy Red said:

Good point, Henry.

Ahh that's it.
    So back to original thoughts, why are they not involved today
    Don't know. Maybe Chelsea and Arsenal don't want them playing U23 football with us when they could do that with them, and at a higher level.

Maybe don't want to risk them getting injured

Maybe it restricts the game time for our own kids
  • QPR FC ‏@QPRFC 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    FT: It's finished at Harlington.

The spoils are shared, with @reececox9's first-half double earning #QPRU23's a point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Draw was a fair result. I thought Yamfam should've been brought off earlier as he was constantly losing possession but it's a development fixture and he willlearn from it.

Kennedy should've got a hat trick. Was denied twice by their keeper who had a good game. Second half I thought we were more dominant but couldn't find that final ball. I do think Kennedy needs a loan. He's banging in goals for our under 23s and has found his confidence again after the beginning of last season (when it was destroyed by Luzon).

A draw was a good result baring in mind that the majority of our Under 23s are only 19. They dealt with Morrison well who looked lively in possession and Petrasso was kept quiet for the majority. Decent result. Was very cold though.

What was Morrison like overall - Did he appear to have match fitness or any interest in the game?

This chance with Queens Park Rangers surely has to be his last one!!
  • Draw was a fair result. I thought Yamfam should've been brought off earlier as he was constantly losing possession but it's a development fixture and he willlearn from it.

Kennedy should've got a hat trick. Was denied twice by their keeper who had a good game. Second half I thought we were more dominant but couldn't find that final ball. I do think Kennedy needs a loan. He's banging in goals for our under 23s and has found his confidence again after the beginning of last season (when it was destroyed by Luzon).

A draw was a good result baring in mind that the majority of our Under 23s are only 19. They dealt with Morrison well who looked lively in possession and Petrasso was kept quiet for the majority. Decent result. Was very cold though.

Thank you

What was Morrison like overall - Did he appear to have match fitness or any interest in the game?

This chance with Queens Park Rangers surely has to be his last one!!
    He was slow to start but for involved and looked to get on the ball as much a second possible. He played 90 minutes and didn't appear to be blowing out his arse at the end... physically, I think he was the strongest player on the pitch and he's still only 23ish.

Had good vision and the talent was clearly there but I agree - last chance for him. I think he will take it. Nothing in his play today suggested he had a bad attitude. Body language included.
  • What position is Kennedy playing in? I assume he's part of the front 3, maybe worth a place on the 1st team bench, he's certainly finding the net at the moment
  • edited February 2017
    Of those on display today, can only see Barnes, Fox, Djiksteel, and Lapslie having a future at league level. Perhaps Millar.They need to get out on loan to develop. Disappointed with Euell's tactics. Far too much room between attack and defence for 3 midfield to patrol.

Very impressed with Aaron. Two footed, athletic, physical, attack minded. Easy to see why Djiksteel in 1st squad.
  • Of those on display today, can only see Barnes, Fox, Djiksteel, and Lapslie having a future at league level. Perhaps Millar.They need to get out on loan to develop. Disappointed with Euell's tactics. Far too much room between attack and defence for 3 midfield to patrol.

Very impressed with Aaron. Two footed, athletic, physical, attack minded. Easy to see why Djiksteel in 1st squad.

Do they need to go out on loan though? Cousins, Solly, Shelvey, Poyet, Lookman, Gomez and probably a few more didn't go out on loan (I think) and they all made massive contributions to our first team.
  • Of those on display today, can only see Barnes, Fox, Djiksteel, and Lapslie having a future at league level. Perhaps Millar.They need to get out on loan to develop. Disappointed with Euell's tactics. Far too much room between attack and defence for 3 midfield to patrol.

Aaron Barnes or Anfernee Dijksteel?

Do they need to go out on loan though? Cousins, Solly, Shelvey, Poyet, Lookman, Gomez and probably a few more didn't go out on loan (I think) and they all made massive contributions to our first team.
    Probably benefits those that aren't as certain to make it, such as Fox and Lennon

Randolph, Pope and Elliot also had various loans but probably a bit different with goalkeepers.
  • Robinson has spoken about being impressed by Barnes, I imagine he sees him as potential cover for Solly this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Robinson has spoken about being impressed by Barnes, I imagine he sees him as potential cover for Solly this season

Is he tall enough?

• Scoham said:

Of those on display today, can only see Barnes, Fox, Djiksteel, and Lapslie having a future at league level. Perhaps Millar.They need to get out on loan to develop. Disappointed with Euell's tactics. Far too much room between attack and defence for 3 midfield to patrol.

Aaron Barnes or Anfernee Dijksteel?
    Clue is in 1st name of Aaron! Dijksteel also impressed but not as ready to walk into Ķarl's squad. May have been mistaken but I think he played one half rb and 2nd lb. Was bombing forward and instrumental in our improved performance after the break.
  • edited February 2017
    Barnes has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months. He's strong and likes to get down the wing. Last season, he was very poor with his positioning and got caught out.

From today and from what I've seen of the U23s, Mitov is a keeper that likes to command. His box. Wasn't at fault for the two goals today. Barnes has come on leaps and bounds as I said. Yao is still only 18 and so is Dan Bowry (I thought Dan Bowry was better than Fox today and he played well last week too).

Miller (19) impressed me. Very strong and good in possession. Lapslie will be a top top player. I can see him go far in the game. Such an old head on young shoulders. Dijksteel is very comfortable in possession and very calm under pressure. Strong too. Both Dijksteel and Lapslie, as well as Aribo are in front of Regan Charles-Cook when it comes to making the step up.

Yamfam looked out of his depth unfortunately and that's not the first I've seen of him. He's very quick but isn't too clever - but he's only 18.

I like Kennedy. He works very hard for the team which is what you need. It's very easy for young players to not give a crap about youth football once they've had a sniff in the first team.

I do think loaning some of these players out would be a good thing. We are so dominant in the under 23s and that can sometimes be counter productive. A month loan to a Conferance side will give these young players a real test against older/more physical players with dirtier tactics.

It's so hard to say what players will make it into the first team. I don't think we fielded a single player today over the age of 20 other than Perhaps Nathan Fox (although I think he's only 20 as well).
  • Nathan Fox is 24

Surely must be knocking on the door for the first team? Scoring for fun from midfield and has looked brilliant the few times I have seen him
  • CAFCsayer said:

Draw was a fair result. I thought Yamfam should've been brought off earlier as he was constantly losing possession but it's a development fixture and he willlearn from it.

Surely must be knocking on the door for the first team? Scoring for fun from midfield and has looked brilliant the few times I have seen him
    Yep I completely agree. Kennedy can't stop scoring. He can only play what's in front of him as is just banging them in for fun and has been all season. He's got back that confidence that was destroyed by Luzon and is doing more than KAG right now. Can't be too far away from the 1st team.
  • Nathan Fox is 24

Cheers I don't know much about him at all.
  • edited February 2017
    Kennedy looked more mature in his thinking and play not making too many wrong options but was one of the oldest on display. But he isn't going to boss anyone physically, not particularly quick, smallish, not clever like say Charlie Mac. Decent player but L2 at best.
  • Where's Beeney these days ? He seems to be out of favour at the moment.
  • edited February 2017
    For those who've seen him, would Barnes be a better bet at RB than Konsa, if Solly wasn't available?

Not an attack on Konsa btw, it's just that RB seems to be his worst position