Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

1313314315316317319»

Comments

• Another angle to add is that some players don’t need loans, and that’s not just obvious stand outs like Gomez, Lookman or Shelvey. Players like Solly and Cousins didn’t either.

If we do loan any out I doubt it’ll be more than a couple at a time for some of the reasons Henry gave.
  • A lot of them also aren’t necessarily ready for NL but wouldn’t suit the football played at NLN/S which is a bit more ‘classic’ non league and more physical than it is technical. Casey and Mbick would be the standouts for a loan but as Henry said that can’t really happen for Mbick and I think I saw Casey training with the first team recently
  • fenaddick said:
    A lot of them also aren’t necessarily ready for NL but wouldn’t suit the football played at NLN/S which is a bit more ‘classic’ non league and more physical than it is technical. Casey and Mbick would be the standouts for a loan but as Henry said that can’t really happen for Mbick and I think I saw Casey training with the first team recently
    I know Henry spoke about the mentality for Mbick living away from home, but is that something known about him?
  • fenaddick said:
    A lot of them also aren’t necessarily ready for NL but wouldn’t suit the football played at NLN/S which is a bit more ‘classic’ non league and more physical than it is technical. Casey and Mbick would be the standouts for a loan but as Henry said that can’t really happen for Mbick and I think I saw Casey training with the first team recently
    I know Henry spoke about the mentality for Mbick living away from home, but is that something known about him?
    Was more the age thing I was focussing on, he still has to be in education. That's harder if he gets shipped off to Torquay for example
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Was more the age thing I was focussing on, he still has to be in education. That's harder if he gets shipped off to Torquay for example
    Ah yes... I see what you mean, thanks
  • fenaddick said:
    No, not at all.

It was just an example and there is no reason to think that.

With M'bick it is more likely to be his age and academic education.

• A major difference between now and last season is that there's a tiny chance that any of yesterday's team will be needed for first team duties in the league. Indeed, hardly any will even be needed in the EFL Trophy this season, as the first team has such depth, and (so it seems now) more durability. A side effect of this is that our U21 team will be much stronger this season.

The likes of Rylah, Mbick and Casey all made brief appearances in the league last season, Rylah starting a game against Cambridge. 
  • edited September 17
    A major difference between now and last season is that there's a tiny chance that any of yesterday's team will be needed for first team duties in the league. Indeed, hardly any will even be needed in the EFL Trophy this season, as the first team has such depth, and (so it seems now) more durability. A side effect of this is that our U21 team will be much stronger this season.

The likes of Rylah, Mbick and Casey all made brief appearances in the league last season, Rylah starting a game against Cambridge. 

Ironically, Charlton being less of a basket case could cause youth recruitment issues down the line. If talented young players see there are fewer pathways to first team football the academy will lose an important (perhaps even it's most important) selling point.
  • Sponsored links:

• A major difference between now and last season is that there's a tiny chance that any of yesterday's team will be needed for first team duties in the league. Indeed, hardly any will even be needed in the EFL Trophy this season, as the first team has such depth, and (so it seems now) more durability. A side effect of this is that our U21 team will be much stronger this season.

Ironically, Charlton being less of a basket case could cause youth recruitment issues down the line. If talented young players see there are fewer pathways to first team football the academy will lose an important (perhaps even it's most important) selling point.
    That's true and it is a difficult balance to maintain but at the same time we currently have AMB, Anderson, Kanu, T Campbell and Leaburn in the first time squad and Asiimwe and Z Mitchell on its fringes.

Promotion to at least the championship and obtaining Cat 1, something the current owners didn't seem that bothered about last season, would have major impacts on recruitment at academy level.

It's worth remembering that the current U21s are 17, 18 and 19 and would have joined us aged 8 at the earliest so 12 years ago max.   12 years ago we had just been promoted from league One under Chris Powell so neither cat 1 or a premier league club.
  • Surprised we didnt sign Reed, as we only have one U21 keeper and one at U18.
  • Surprised we didnt sign Reed, as we only have one U21 keeper and one at U18.
    Incredible timing, club have just announced he’s signed 
  • https://x.com/CharltonAcademy/status/1836080172879008137

Well done whoever first named him on this thread.

Real ITK 
  • Looks like the lad thats been in a lot of the Goalkeeper pictures as well
  • Ironically may well have been released by Brighton because they Beadle
  • And he’s in the squad for the BSM along with Mwamba
  • edited September 17
    Good luck to Reed.  Sounds a really exciting prospect from comments on here and with McLorg that seems a very decent U21 pairing in our keeper department and a step up from last season after we lost Beadle and Kone.

Anyone know if either of the other trialists we had are still around?  Timi Davies and Joshua Adepoju I think?
  • fenaddick said:
    Can see the pride on his face when Terry mentions he’s number 998 and particularly when Chris Lock’s tweet is brought up. Lovely interview all round 
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done Alan.
    To be honest any number of the current developing players could equally have been called up based on form, like Enslin, Kedwell and Huke especially.
    Now our brilliant academy have taught our players diplomacy and humility, perhaps they should add Hylton to the coaching staff to teach them a bit of ‘get into them, f*** ‘em up’.
    Mwamba was so nice, but imagine if he had added ‘look out Berry, I’m after your place in the team man, and look out opponents, cause you won’t beat me’.
    That kind of mindset was something I think I saw from a very young Wiredu when he was coming through