Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best British Athlete. (Yours - it's subjective, obviously)

Daley Thompson, Seb Coe, Redgrave, Murray or George Stuart Robertson?

Let's clear the Olympic thread!

Comments

• Options
    Hoy?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It's Monday, Leroy!

(Spanish joke)
  • Options
    My favourites were David Bedford and Steve Ovett. Best for me would be Daley Thomson.
  • Options
    Daley...er... all Day long!
  • Options
    Mo Farah

So dominant
  • Options
    Andy Murray
  • Options
    CB Fry. International footballer, international cricketer, joint holder of the world long jump record. Also played top class rugby and golf.
  • Options
    Statistically it's Bradley Wiggins, but what about Kelly Holmes?
  • Options
    No such thing. How can you compare Redgrave to Hoy to Thompson etc? Just comes down to personal preference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What statistics are those ?
  • Options
    Johnnie Jackson
  • Options
    se9addick said:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Jints said:

CB Fry. International footballer, international cricketer, joint holder of the world long jump record. Also played top class rugby and golf.

Yeah @A-R-T-H-U-R should have specified from the modern era before we get some nominee who was eight time world chimney sweep champion in the 1740's.
    Fry was a contemporary of George Stuart Robertson, just a bit lot more proficient at sport.

• Options
    se9addick said:

I thought he had won most medals?
  • Options

se9addick said:

Not sure if I should be embarrassed but I don't recognise any of the people below Pinsent!
  • Options

se9addick said:

But this question isn't solely related to the Olympics, is it ?
  • Options
    And hands up who'd never heard of this fella until the read the graphic above?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Radmilovic
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

But this question isn't solely related to the Olympics, is it ?
    Don't ask me, I didn't set the question.

*Edit, but as I'm not American, I think of Athletes as being track and field competitors. If we're just talking about all sports in all fields, then we're talking about Britain's best Sportsperson.
  • Options
    Definitely not the best but certainly my favourite over the past few years has been Jo Pavey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laura Trott but not forgetting the rest of the pursuit team.
  • Options
    It's asking for best athlete, not best Olympian
  • Options

The number of medals can be misleading, as in some sports you can win a lot more medals than in others. Is Michael Phelps better than Usain Bolt, just because he's won 2 to 3 times as many Golds?

• Options
    edited August 2016

The number of medals can be misleading, as in some sports you can win a lot more medals than in others. Is Michael Phelps better than Usain Bolt, just because he's won 2 to 3 times as many Golds?

Also, someone competing in the same sport as a true legend, like Phelps or Bolt, is effectively competing for fewer medals as the legend is pretty much guaranteed to get the gold. The record books will show fewer medals but they may well be swimming/running faster times than another athlete 4 years earlier/later who isn't competing against the likes of Phelps or Bolt.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Daley...er... all Day long!

Hate to agree with Greenie but "this"...
  • Options
    As he's not yet been mentioned, can I suggest a place is reserved for the 2013 Celebrity Dad of the Year?
  • Options
    Has to be Francis Morgan Ayodélé Thompson for me.
  • Options
    Jockey Wilson
  • Options
    Daley Thompson.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Seb Coe - 1500m Olympic gold double winner. Held 800m 1000m 1500m and mile world records at same time. Is still 3rd fastest of all time in 800m set in 1981

Colin Jackson - apart from Olympics,he'd won gold at all major championships. Went 44 races unbeaten. Was a world record holder in 110m hurdles and is still holder of 60m hurdles world record. Also silver medal in 4x100m at World Championships

Jonathan Edwards - gold at every major apart from World Indoor Championships. Still the world record holder in triple jump 18.29m held since 1995