Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

wireless internet advice

need to get a 108mbps adsl wireless router as the one I got free with me internet is pony and keeps losing it's connection on my desktop .

Main requirement is something with a really good range and not mad pricey.

any ideas IT geeks?

Comments

• Options
    Don't get a Netgear one. It's worse than pants.

I'd go for either a D link, Linksys or Belkin. Don't bother with boosters.
  • Options
    You should do all of your internet surfing at work. Leave home time for playing with the kids and the missus.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Have a look at ebuyer.com

I get most of my bits and pieces from there.

linky
  • Options
    cheers lookout but I don't actually have internet in the van and the stores I do the maintenance at don't either.

Also think when I go into offices to do any work they'd think it was a bit cheeky if I sat down and started fiddling with their PC's
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Don't get a Netgear one. It's worse than pants.

i''ve got netgear it is the bollox mate -
  • Options
    I've got a netgear dongle thingy. Its alright for an hour, then it cuts out and you can't log on again for 3 days!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]need to get a 108mbps adsl wireless router as the one I got free with me internet is pony and keeps losing it's connection on my desktop .

Main requirement is something with a really good range and not mad pricey.

any ideas IT geeks?

If you see one you like, let me know as I can get them cheaper working for an IT firm, I'd recommend Zyxel 660hw / 662hw but it depends if you want straight wireless internet or you want to VPN to other places, I think these are about £80 - £120
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Zyxel 660 - 125mbps £70

Linky
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Have a look at ebuyer.com

I get most of my bits and pieces from there.

linky

Never ever buy anything from these clowns, last time I built a PC I bought the parts from here, both the GFX and sound card where both quite clearly second hand and everything arrived late.

On top of that they wanted to charge me £20 to replace the second hand stuff they sent me, I wouldnt deal with them ever again.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Stu, you must've just been unlucky - I've been buying stuff from them for at least 5 years without any problems.

Were they "clearance" items? 75% of the clearance stuff is returns.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, they where normal purchases and I'm not the only person to have had trouble with them:

http://www.ebuyersucks.com/
  • Options
    The latest update to that site was September 2005!
  • Options
    agree netgear seem unreliable, linksys are apparently good
  • Options
    Yeah, I know, they may be far better now but in my experience I'd rather poke needles in my eyes than order from them.

Saying that their prices do seem very reasonable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Zyxel 660 - 125mbps £70

Linky

Bucks - I can buy this for £35 ex Vat........If you want I'll purchase it for you and you can sort me out on Tuesday if you are there.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    PC World told me Netgear were the bollox so I bought their Wireless ADSL modem/router. It drops the connection with every wireless card and dongle I possess (including a Netgear one). I suspect it needs a firmware update but I can't be arsed. I've got a D Link 54g one which works fine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]PC World told me Netgear were the bollox so I bought their Wireless ADSL modem/router. It drops the connection with every wireless card and dongle I possess (including a Netgear one). I suspect it needs a firmware update but I can't be arsed. I've got a D Link 54g one which works fine.

You have answered your own question - PC World - They are muppetts.
  • Options
    you may also have issues due to the channel you are using, wireless lans in my experience suffer from interference from cordless telephones which often use the same channel, if not yours your neighbour might be using one. Try changing your channel on the router and see if this has any effect - usually done via the browser interface. Other techies on here can correct me if I'm off the mark on this one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Don't get a Netgear one. It's worse than pants.

i''ve got netgear it is the bollox mate -

and mine ; )
  • Options
    what do you reckon to this one hillsy ? looks a good one to me

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4471&CategorySelectedId=11005&NavigationKey=11005&ExposedRefinement=11005&InMerch=1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]what do you reckon to this one hillsy ? looks a good one to me

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4471&CategorySelectedId=11005&NavigationKey=11005&ExposedRefinement=11005&InMerch=1

A bit pricey for a home user....considering most ISP's now give them away free when you take a contract with them. It will do what it says mate, I don't have an account with these guys, I'll see how much I can get it for.
  • Options
    cheers mate , seems good but quite pricey so if I could get it a bit cheaper that would help
  • Options
    Bucks....I can get this for £71.96 ex vat