Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why doesn't IOC meet the Paralympic shortfall?

I was disturbed to learn that Brazil have moved significant funds from the Paralympic budget to the Olympics. This is not acceptable but the Paralympics can't be compromised. The IOC decide who holds the games, if it gets it wrong it should pay shortfalls out of its own pockets. It has very deep ones - billions not millions. It will ensure they do a better job selecting host countries in future too! Bejing and London were both brilliant in terms of supporting the Paralympics.

Comments

• Like, many times over!
  • I'm surprised there have not been calls for this - at least I haven't seen any. I think the pressure needs to mount on the IOC quickly to fix this.
  • Can you explain the first sentence a bit more ?
  • edited August 2016
    This is disgusting in my eyes... You dont cut the Paralympics so close to the actual event

Just seen that around 50-Nations may not be able to take part now!!
  • As one paralympian said ' would they have these problems if they had to hold the Paralympics first?'
  • This is an absolute disgrace it really is.
  • edited August 2016
    The IOC cough up some dosh? But then they wouldn't have enough for all the bungs and excess. They've got an army of people with their noses in the trough to feed you know!

(Ps. It's a great idea)
  • HexHex
    edited August 2016
    Perhaps the answer is the paralympians themselves. At/after 2012 they were asked if they would like to merge (integrate?) with the Olympics . The majority asked said 'No' because they wanted a separate identity. I agree it's disgusting, though.
  • Off_it said:

The IOC cough up some dosh? But then they wouldn't have enough for all the bungs and excess. They've got an army of people with their noses in the trough to feed you know!

(Ps. It's a great idea)

To quote FIFA, it's a SURPLUS, not excess or corruption, SURPLUS ;)
  • It's extraordinary to be making these cuts so near to the games. Maybe the organisers hoped to be bailed out by the IOC at the last moment?

London set the bar very high for any future Paralympics, with the massive attendances and public interest. I suspect Rio will be a bit of a comedown for the competitors
  • Sponsored links:

• I have little interest in the Olympics or Paralympics unfortunately (although I think C4's advertising campaign for the paralympics deserves advertising campaign of the year). This has absolutely disgusted me.

I can't believe how little is being made of this, I have seen it reported in places, but even on the Guardian, they have an article about "Gold medals and white privilege" ahead of this.

Disgusting. Brazil should be completely ashamed of themselves. No surprise that their people are such a bunch of thieving bastards, just look at the people that lead them.

The poor and the rich, thieves.
  • edited August 2016
    Huskaris said:

I have little interest in the Olympics or Paralympics unfortunately (although I think C4's advertising campaign for the paralympics deserves advertising campaign of the year). This has absolutely disgusted me.

I can't believe how little is being made of this, I have seen it reported in places, but even on the Guardian, they have an article about "Gold medals and white privilege" ahead of this.

Disgusting. Brazil should be completely ashamed of themselves. No surprise that their people are such a bunch of thieving bastards, just look at the people that lead them.

If you're talking about the piece on Lochte by Marina Hyde, then yes, but only because from what I can tell (at least here) that has been one of the biggest bits of news to come out of the Olympics in the last few days. Good piece, highly recommend reading it.

From the ever brilliant Owen Gibson:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/19/rio-paralympics-downsized-disappointing-ticket-sales

And from last Sunday:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/14/paralympic-committee-to-hold-budget-crisis-talks-with-brazil
  • SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

I have little interest in the Olympics or Paralympics unfortunately (although I think C4's advertising campaign for the paralympics deserves advertising campaign of the year). This has absolutely disgusted me.

If you're talking about the piece on Lochte by Marina Hyde, then yes, but only because from what I can tell (at least here) that has been one of the biggest bits of news to come out of the Olympics in the last few days. Good piece, highly recommend reading it.
    It's the white privilege part of it that I have a complete objection to. The Guardian constantly pedals claims of prejudice at literally any opportunity. Lochte is a twat, a 32 year old toddler. "White privilege" has nothing to do with it. The Guardian is filled with as much shit as the Daily Mail. Both have hate at the top of their agenda, they just target different people. You could say that some have broader shoulders, but the Guardian and Daily Mail BOTH try and make you hate people for what are often illegitimate reasons.

Some of the people they have contributing "opinion" pieces are an absolute embarrassment to journalism. At least the Daily Mail has some entertaining articles (ones that have no political slant to them)
  • Huskaris said:

SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

It's the white privilege part of it that I have a complete objection to. The Guardian constantly pedals claims of prejudice at literally any opportunity. Lochte is a twat, a 32 year old toddler. "White privilege" has nothing to do with it. The Guardian is filled with as much shit as the Daily Mail. Both have hate at the top of their agenda, they just target different people. You could say that some have broader shoulders, but the Guardian and Daily Mail BOTH try and make you hate people for what are often illegitimate reasons.

Some of the people they have contributing "opinion" pieces are an absolute embarrassment to journalism. At least the Daily Mail has some entertaining articles (ones that have no political slant to them)
    As far as white privilege goes, this literally came up on my news feed not 30 minutes ago. Based on their pictures, try to figure out who shot and killed nine people, and who saved his mother from a fire:

• So sorry for all those athletes who have worked for 4 years and who won't be able to compete.

Any country awarded the Olympics/Paralympics should be made to have a contingency fund so that this can'r happen.
  • Wtf has white privilege got to do with these unless cnuts running the Olympics ruining one of the most powerful and inspirational Spectacles in the world

This is why they can make disgusting decisions like the fund cut, because people look over it and start taking about something else
  • Huskaris said:

Really?
  • Huskaris said:

Really?
    2 people I work with were held up at gunpoint and had their wallets stolen, of 6 people that we have sent there. It really isn't a safe place to go.
  • Huskaris said:

Really?
    Wow, I missed that, it's early. You do know the Brazilian people didn't want these games because of their fear of corruption and that the country couldn't afford it and should be spending money elsewhere?
  • SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

Really?
    Wow, I missed that, it's early. You do know the Brazilian people didn't want these games because of their fear of corruption and that the country couldn't afford it and should be spending money elsewhere?
    Correct, that money could have gone towards helping to fund things that mean that people don't have to beg and steal. It really is sad that countries fund these white elephants when their people live in such poverty.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Really?
    2 people I work with were held up at gunpoint and had their wallets stolen, of 6 people that we have sent there. It really isn't a safe place to go.
    Behave yourself. It's a country of 200m. None of my Brazilian family have ever thieved or held up anyone at gunpoint.

Jesus wept.

• SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

As far as white privilege goes, this literally came up on my news feed not 30 minutes ago. Based on their pictures, try to figure out who shot and killed nine people, and who saved his mother from a fire:

A demonic white person next to a really good black person... Your point? I could put a picture of Mother Theresa next to a picture of Mike Tyson, it doesn't prove anything, and it certainly isn't journalism.
  • Huskaris said:

SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

A demonic white person next to a really good black person... Your point? I could put a picture of Mother Theresa next to a picture of Mike Tyson, it doesn't prove anything, and it certainly isn't journalism.
    So that was your impression upon seeing the pictures (NOT reading the captions below them)? Come on...
  • Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Really?
    Behave yourself. It's a country of 200m. None of my Brazilian family have ever thieved or held up anyone at gunpoint.

Jesus wept.

Again I fail to see your point. My point is that there is so much poverty there that people are driven to commit crime, and it's little wonder why they are driven to things like that when the people that run the country insist on pissing money away on things like this, and then when they do run it, they move the cash around. Corruption and poverty, the two go hand in hand. The corruption of those at the top leads to poverty for those at the bottom. Imagine if that cash spent on the Olympics had gone to funding projects in the favelas... There is poverty there that is real poverty, "absolute poverty" as it is known, poverty unlike what we see in this country.

Like I said, I fail to get your point. Your family have not held up anyone at gunpoint, great, but a lot of people there do. I would have a guess that your family aren't ridiculously poor and living in a favela.
  • Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Really?

Jesus wept.

Again I fail to see your point. My point is that there is so much poverty there that people are driven to commit crime, and it's little wonder why they are driven to things like that when the people that run the country insist on pissing money away on things like this, and then when they do run it, they move the cash around. Corruption and poverty, the two go hand in hand. The corruption of those at the top leads to poverty for those at the bottom. Imagine if that cash spent on the Olympics had gone to funding projects in the favelas... There is poverty there that is real poverty, "absolute poverty" as it is known, poverty unlike what we see in this country.

Like I said, I fail to get your point. Your family have not held up anyone at gunpoint, great, but a lot of people there do. I would have a guess that your family aren't ridiculously poor and living in a favela.
    Precisely. Hence why sweeping statements like "No surprise that their people are such a bunch of thieving bastards" are nothing short of utterly moronic.
  • SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

So that was your impression upon seeing the pictures (NOT reading the captions below them)? Come on...
    Oh right sorry I see what you mean, and yes your point is definitely valid. You could do the same with a picture of a Muslim who did a great act, and a picture of someone like Timothy McVeigh and say "guess which one killed over a hundred people." The fact is that in general people form stereotypes based on what they see in the media and what they see in real life. Unfortunately, for numerous reasons which we can have as mitigating factors, at face value, if you had to place a bet on who had killed people, you would go with the man who saved his mother. The pictures don't help to be fair... That kid looks like he would be selling lemonade on his front lawn.
  • edited August 2016

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Really?

Jesus wept.

Precisely. Hence why sweeping statements like "No surprise that their people are such a bunch of thieving bastards" are nothing short of utterly moronic.
    Ok I will restate it.

It's no surprise that some of their people are such a bunch of thieving bastards, I would like to formally apologies to any Brazilian readers of this forum. And I do mean that, I didn't mean to offend anyone, emotions are just running a bit high at the moment because the 2 people I personally know being held up at gunpoint out there.
  • Poverty impacts on ticket sales. Which in turn impacts on the funds (other factors applicable as well) available to the organisers. Organiser takes money from paralympics to pay for shortfall. Paralympics lack funds.

Mayor seeks to pay funds instead. Opposed by others partly due to reasons linked to poverty.