Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did you see the next big thing that wasn't? Another music thread

edited August 2016 in Not Sports Related
Did you see a band/artist that was going to be the next big thing but fame never materialized for them? The next Beatles? The next Smiths (v popular after they split) The next Oasis?

I can chuck a few names in the hat.

Went to see a band called Bradford who Morrissey had endorsed - you couldn't move for love nor money the venue (The Escape in Brighton) was so full - I think they released one LP & were never heard of again.

Similarly we hitch hiked to Sheffield from Manchester to catch the next big thing i.e. The Sundays at The Leadmill - they were supporting Throwing Muses & the queue to get in was round the block - everybody there to gaze adoringly at the lead singer. They never really made it - although they did release some fine albums.

Comments

• Options
    See them, I was fecking in them! I should've been a rock star I tell yee!
  • Options
    Really or am I whooshed?
  • Options
    Tell us your story Saga
  • Options
    I thought The Bandits were going to be something special after seeing them support a few times. They were supposed to be the new The Coral. Don't think they even released an album in the end.
  • Options
    So a band like Josh Mcheran of Chelsea or whatever his name was
  • Options
    A band called Mean Poppa Lean from Brighton. Saw them several times & I still say they're 1 of the most entertaining live bands I've ever seen. I was convinced they would make it. Alas, I was wrong.

They gave up on the dream & called it a day a couple of years ago when the singer moved back to America. A real shame
  • Options
    The Truth - supported The Kinks in '83 / '84 and were supposed to be the new Jam
  • Options

The Truth - supported The Kinks in '83 / '84 and were supposed to be the new Jam

A very good band, formed by Dennis Greaves and the bass player from Nine Below Zero. They got together for a few shows a couple of years ago but I missed them. They recently released a 3 CD collection of their stuff, a lot of which was previously only available on vinyl.
  • Options
    Saw Tom Odell a few years back at a festival, most the people were there without having heard his music before, and I think few were overly impressed. Sad to say that the once BBC Sound of 2013 hasn't gone too far since.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster said:

Did you see a band/artist that was going to be the next big thing but fame never materialized for them? The next Beatles? The next Smiths (v popular after they split) The next Oasis?

I can chuck a few names in the hat.

Went to see a band called Bradford who Morrissey had endorsed - you couldn't move for love nor money the venue (The Escape in Brighton) was so full - I think they released one LP & were never heard of again.

Similarly we hitch hiked to Sheffield from Manchester to catch the next big thing i.e. The Sundays at The Leadmill - they were supporting Throwing Muses & the queue to get in was round the block - everybody there to gaze adoringly at the lead singer. They never really made it - although they did release some fine albums.

Loved the first album - Reading Writing and Arithmetic.
  • Options

A very good band, formed by Dennis Greaves and the bass player from Nine Below Zero. They got together for a few shows a couple of years ago but I missed them. They recently released a 3 CD collection of their stuff, a lot of which was previously only available on vinyl.
    Thanks for the heads-up about this CD. I've got all the early Truth vinyl - saw them at The Tramshed and the Marquee loads of times - always wanted their singles on cd - ordered!

• Options
    Mrkinski said:

Thanks for the heads-up about this CD. I've got all the early Truth vinyl - saw them at The Tramshed and the Marquee loads of times - always wanted their singles on cd - ordered!

Mrkinski said:

Mrkinski said:

It's a decent collection but some of the live recordings are a bit ropey.

One song that isn't on there though is their version of Move On Up that was on the EP version of their first single.
  • Options
    I saw a band called we are the ocean back in 2008. thanks to myspace and Kerrang they soon made a name for themselves as the next big thing. they played loads of festivals but by the time they realised an album most of the hype had been lost. they're signed now and still play loads of gigs so maybe in a way they have made it but the way people were banging on about them at the time I thought they would be global superstars by now.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mrkinski said:

Take them to either The Pelton Arms Greenwich or the White Swan Charlton when Dennis is at either place and get him to sign them. He'll happily oblige!
    He does some open mike stuff at both venues with a music mate of mine.
  • Options
    A band called "Brother" - my mates supported them at the Tunbridge wells forum. They were arrogant pricks because NME had labelled them "the next oasis" and generally had the air of being middle class small town twats who thought they were cool as shit.

Then I think some one like Liam Gallagher got wind of them, said they were middle class posers, NME turned on them for no reason except to look cool, they got into a legal dispute with an Aussie band called "brother" so had to change their name to "viva brother", released an album and then broke up because oasis fanboys hated them so much (no really, they cited bad press as a reason).

But they were pretty insufferable dickheads.

I also saw a band called "air traffic" at the t wells forum who were called "the next Coldplay". They were actually pretty good and I liked their releases, I saw them the day they got signed to a major label and the drummer must've been twatted because he kept falling out of time and getting daggers shot at him by the rest of the band. Either that or he was a shit drummer. They've now broken up too.
  • Options

I saw a band called we are the ocean back in 2008. thanks to myspace and Kerrang they soon made a name for themselves as the next big thing. they played loads of festivals but by the time they realised an album most of the hype had been lost. they're signed now and still play loads of gigs so maybe in a way they have made it but the way people were banging on about them at the time I thought they would be global superstars by now.

I've got the first 50 issues of Kerrang in my mums loft. Anyone know if they're worth anything.
  • Options

I've got the first 50 issues of Kerrang in my mums loft. Anyone know if they're worth anything.
    this is just for the first issue £40. so with the others must be a couple to a few hundred all in.

http://www.crazyaboutmagazines.com/ourshop/prod_1444591-Kerrang-magazine-Angus-Young-cover-June-1981-Issue-1.html
  • Options

this is just for the first issue £40. so with the others must be a couple to a few hundred all in.

http://www.crazyaboutmagazines.com/ourshop/prod_1444591-Kerrang-magazine-Angus-Young-cover-June-1981-Issue-1.html
    Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Diamond Head late 70's should have been bigger than Iron Maiden and Def Leppard that started off at the same time, never quite happened.
  • Options

A band called "Brother" - my mates supported them at the Tunbridge wells forum. They were arrogant pricks because NME had labelled them "the next oasis" and generally had the air of being middle class small town twats who thought they were cool as shit.

Then I think some one like Liam Gallagher got wind of them, said they were middle class posers, NME turned on them for no reason except to look cool, they got into a legal dispute with an Aussie band called "brother" so had to change their name to "viva brother", released an album and then broke up because oasis fanboys hated them so much (no really, they cited bad press as a reason).

But they were pretty insufferable dickheads.

I also saw a band called "air traffic" at the t wells forum who were called "the next Coldplay". They were actually pretty good and I liked their releases, I saw them the day they got signed to a major label and the drummer must've been twatted because he kept falling out of time and getting daggers shot at him by the rest of the band. Either that or he was a shit drummer. They've now broken up too.

I saw Brother at the Hop Farm (they were low down the bill) - they were described as 'Gritpop'. 'Crushingly dull' would've been more accurate. They had a QPR flag over one of their amps. No sympathy.
  • Options
    Brother reminds me of another band Cry of Love album called Brother should have been massive but crashed after that album. Mid nineties but similar to Free.
  • Options
    I do recall a band called Birdland - from Coventry - who were tipped for big things in the early 90s. Their early shows were always sold out & they were a manically, energetic bunch - kind of like a blonde Ramones - unfortunately they were blown away by grunge. I have no idea what happened to them - Hollow Heart was a great song...