Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League

I admit I lost interest somewhat last year after there was no longer any free-to-air matches. I used to look forward to watching a bit of European football midweek, but I definitely couldn't afford to start forking out for BT Sport packages, not matter how "cheap" they were last year.

I have just read about the new changes to qualifying for the champions league from next season, which basically means the top leagues guarantee more places and teams that have historically done well get a better draw.

What are other peoples thoughts on this? Personally I think it is a shame for the other leagues that will have a harder job of getting to the champions league because of these changes, and we will just end up seeing the same old teams (even more so than now).

Then again there is the argument that it should go back to being the "Champions" league rather than the top 4 teams in the richest leagues plus a few others.

Comments

• Options
    There were free to air matches on BT Showcase (Freeview Channel), it's just BT did an awful job of advertising it. So bad I believe that UEFA want to take the rights off them...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I was talking to one of my mates this morning and find it a bigger joke the fact that Italy now have four teams that start from the Group Stages yet for the past two seasons, their representative in the Play-Off round have crashed out and havent even made the Groups!!

Its a ludicrous as the World Cup being expanded to allow more African teams in...

I mean, why when none of them can get out of the Group Stages at the moment anyway (and if the best Africa can offer cant get out the Group then why should even less ranked teams be able to qualify?)
  • Options
    Like i have said before, the sooner the biggest clubs in Europe fuck off and start their own self serving Super League and leave everyone else to it, the better. It's a never ending circle of money, the top teams get most of their games televised, getting more money in TV rights, which they then spend on players with increasingly ridiculous sums involved, before pushing the price of a pie and a pint, a replica shirt and a matchday ticket up a couple of quid, forcing more people to subscribe to sky to watch all the televised games...

Giving an even bigger advantage to the teams who are already 100x bigger than some in the competition just unbalances it further.
  • Options
    How exciting, Man City have drawn Barcelona again, it's getting boring with the same teams every year, BT hyping up the fixtures. Boring group games, I only take interest when when the 2 leg knockout part starts.

• Options
    Man U taking no chances in Spain tonight(23/2/22) .. they have two keepers om the bench 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Man U taking no chances in Spain tonight(23/2/22) .. they have two keepers om the bench 
    I think a lot of teams do when they can name 12 subs lincs. Chelsea has 2 on the bench last night as well.