Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dawgs

Bit of a weird one this but I'm after some advice. We've got a 3 year old dog who is a good lad. The missus and littlun decided they really wanted a friend for him so we got another puppy yesterday. It would appear the older dog really ain't got time for the new one to the point where he's started growling at the puppy. Any tips!?

Comments

• Haha I'll give it a try mate. Nah I just don't want to have to get rid of the fella but can't put up with all this.
  • edited August 2016
    It can take time. We've just got a puppy to add to our two dogs. One ignored the puppy for a week but after three weeks they are thick as thieves.

A bit of growling is ok. Dogs are pack animals where there is a hierarchy. As long as it is just putting the puppy in its place, it will be fine. It's only if it gets over aggressive that it becomes more problematic.

Try to make sure the older dog gets plenty of attention.
  • It's probably the older dog just teaching the younger dog that he's the boss.
  • Blinding mate. Thank you.
  • Reckon it's ok to leave them together or not a good idea?
  • Hard to judge from a distance but it might be best to let them get used to each other step by step
  • Lots of agreement with the above comments, you'll get lots of posturing and growling by the older dog as the puppy takes liberties. Only get involved if it gets serious (by serious, I mean has a hold on the puppy) don't fuss puppy if they get told off by the older dog the puppy will be resented even more, try not to leave them alone if the older dog is going to prove a point he'll do it when the top boy (you) is not about. Our young Valli got beaten up hourly as she moved from dog to dog taking the Pi55, but they have to learn some manners and theres nothing like 42 teeth across your ar5e to speed up the process. ;)
  • If you have to break up a scrap, don't put your hands near the sharp end. ;)
  • T.C.E said:

If you have to break up a scrap, don't put your hands near the sharp end. ;)

I won't ask what you've been up to Ray ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Get rid of the dogs.
  • To be honest mate, this is more of a cat community.

• Try sniffing his arse then growling, works for me and the Mrs