Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 23 today (Monday 29/08)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hackett- Fairchild on the bench v Rochdale
  • Options

Surprisingly good performance given the number of key players either on loan or in the first team squad. Boro overrun us for first 25 minutes and could easily been three up. After our equaliser two bad looking injuries meant they lost two key players and we scored four more from essentially every chance we had.

Thereafter it was all Boro again who could have made it a lot closer. I thought Bowry and Dijksteel were the pick of the bunch. Impressed with my first glimpse of Doughty. Good to see Regan and Terrell there as was damien Matthew. Stood next to a Reading scout who was apparently watching Barnes. Well done the youth.

How good is Barnes? We have Konsa and Byrne who can provide depth at RB which, given we're out of the cups should be enough to see us through the end of the year. But should we get a couple injuries to say Solly and Byrne, is Barnes ready to make the step up to the first team bench as cover?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I am not sure about Barnes. Certainly loves to get forward but not sure about his defensive side. This was exactly what I said over a number of years about Fox and my view never really changed. Barnes is a lot quicker than Fox though so could play the role full backs are required to do today ie in the attacking third. Fwiw still not sure about Kennedy but he has improved considerably this season so huge credit to him.

Dijksteel is quality and will push for Crofts role as holding midfielder next season imo.
  • Options
    Bowry has signed a contract extension until 2019.

Don't know much about him other than he's a CB - how do those that have seen him rate him?

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-dan-bowry-contract-extension-3572951.aspx
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Bowry looks a real prospect, quick and good in the air. Not sure he is better than Thomas though. I would like to see Yao kick on. His partnership with Konsa was the highlight of that under 18 winning team 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Barnes has made a bit of a leap forward since his injury in my view. I was unconvinced by him a while ago, but he has qualities, probably as an attacking defender as it were. Kennedy is the enigma at the moment. I don't know when this Derry move might or might not happen, but he might be worth a sub's slot sometime over the next few weeks.