Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Southampton- Post Match Views

Comments

• I went along to give moral support to the BFG on what I supposed would be the next leg of his return. That worked out well, then. I switched to watching EK15 - a special talent developing nicely, and fast. Hanlon was also impressive. I left after 62 minutes to avoid further mental punishment from TBBM.

Forgive me, GlassHallfFull, but I don't recognise the shorthand references to BFG, EK15 and TBBM. These need explaining to me in SE13, let alone to our good Lifers in New York, Madrid and San Francisco.

Clem Snide nailed it perfectly with his eye-witness reports from Bury and beyond: "Dross; utter dross." Having watched every first-team home game for six years, I can confirm it. We piss-piddle around, have no physical strength, and lack the slightest flicker of intelligence to nail our opponents.

Lookman! Who cares, apart from the frustrated accountants in Bexleyheath. Against Bolton he came on, tripped over the ball, passed to the opposition, muffed his corner straight at a defender, dribbled around for two seconds, and got lucky.

It's a conceit to think our academy is special. Every single club from Cray Wanderers to Man City has plenty of wingers who do the double step-over. We were relegated because our players and coaches are piss-poor.

Have you noticed that Henderson, our former keeper, lets in three goals in every game at Forest? He must be missing The Valley. Yet, according to folklore, he's one of us! What utter balls. Henderson shed a few tears after our despicable 5-0 collapse at Huddersfield - which he himself and his pathetic team conceded.

Johnny Jackson and Henderson are so thick and spineless that they ganged up on Tony Watt, who has more natural talent than either of them. That's why Watt is now in Europe, and our - Charlton's - next fixture is against Fleetwood.

Well you certainly covered a lot of ground there.
  • sammy391 said:

sammy391 said:

official attendance was arround 1,300 - didn't look near that in the picture louis mendez posted!
    can anyone at the game comment better on this?

Does it matter?
    Just interesting , considering a lot of clubs had less than 600 in attendance!
    Sorry but again to Cyril's point, why is that important? Too many worrying about attendance and what happens at other clubs - go if your that worried
    There is also a campaign across England by activist fans (Against League 3) to boycott the tournament. Regrettably that has not received much attention, still less support, on here.

Obviously some people want to see how that is panning out.

• edited August 2016

sammy391 said:

sammy391 said:

official attendance was arround 1,300 - didn't look near that in the picture louis mendez posted!

Does it matter?
    Sorry but again to Cyril's point, why is that important? Too many worrying about attendance and what happens at other clubs - go if your that worried
    It matters.

Apart from an indicator to the shitness of the competition.

If the figures are accurate then fine, if they are good compared to other clubs then it shows that the boycott isn't effective, if our attendances are historically low compared to other clubs and our own then it speaks volumes.

If the club issue deliberately inflated figures then it shows that they are very worried and the boycott is having an effect. It also proves another lie.

Don't see why you and Cyril couldn't work that out, but I suspect you might have.
  • sammy391 said:

sammy391 said:

Does it matter?
    Yes, it does matter. It means we're still a big club and can pull in the crowds for any match. Well done, Roland. Keep up the good work.

• Apologies to @Viewfinder and any onshore/offshore/extra-terrestrial Addicks baffled by my terminology ....

BFG is short for Big Friendly Giant, the newly-minted nickname for Patrick Bauer. If I heard right on Saturday he now has his own song (Big f...g German, he's just a big f...g German, etc), a ditty not to be found within the pages of the eponymous children's story written by Roald Dahl.

EK15 is a normal abbreviation for a player - in this case Ezri Konsa, number 15- possibly started originally to save time when referring to JBG7.

TBBM has been standard football magazine-speak for maybe 25 years now and stands for The Bloke Behind Me.
  • Halix said:

I went along to give moral support to the BFG on what I supposed would be the next leg of his return. That worked out well, then. I switched to watching EK15 - a special talent developing nicely, and fast. Hanlon was also impressive. I left after 62 minutes to avoid further mental punishment from TBBM.

Forgive me, GlassHallfFull, but I don't recognise the shorthand references to BFG, EK15 and TBBM. These need explaining to me in SE13, let alone to our good Lifers in New York, Madrid and San Francisco.

Clem Snide nailed it perfectly with his eye-witness reports from Bury and beyond: "Dross; utter dross." Having watched every first-team home game for six years, I can confirm it. We piss-piddle around, have no physical strength, and lack the slightest flicker of intelligence to nail our opponents.

Lookman! Who cares, apart from the frustrated accountants in Bexleyheath. Against Bolton he came on, tripped over the ball, passed to the opposition, muffed his corner straight at a defender, dribbled around for two seconds, and got lucky.

It's a conceit to think our academy is special. Every single club from Cray Wanderers to Man City has plenty of wingers who do the double step-over. We were relegated because our players and coaches are piss-poor.

Have you noticed that Henderson, our former keeper, lets in three goals in every game at Forest? He must be missing The Valley. Yet, according to folklore, he's one of us! What utter balls. Henderson shed a few tears after our despicable 5-0 collapse at Huddersfield - which he himself and his pathetic team conceded.

Johnny Jackson and Henderson are so thick and spineless that they ganged up on Tony Watt, who has more natural talent than either of them. That's why Watt is now in Europe, and our - Charlton's - next fixture is against Fleetwood.

I really do not understand why anyone who appears to despise, and decry, the club and its players as much as you seem to, would feel the need to attend every home game. Would it not be cheaper to stay home on a saturday, sit in a dark room, ripping up fivers, and bang tacks into your leg with a hammer?.
    Interesting idea, might give it a try!
  • 7:40AM

I don't understand some of your comments about deliberately breaking the rules.

If you break the rules, and the EFL enforces them with fines, who wins? The EFL picks up the money, and makes a profit from this futile tournament. Why let them celebrate failure? If every team did it, the clowns in suits will be laughing all the way to the bank...

DON'T break the rules. Then, at the end, they can look at the failure, and wail and gnash their teeth at the failed experiment, and wonder what to do next.

The same thing with ticket price. Airman will have more knowledge of this than me, but how much does it cost to open The Valley for a night? Stewarding, ticket office, printing some sort of programme (and as they were giving them away, there would be some cost), electricity for the floodlights (which I'm sure can't be cheap). Charge less for the tickets, and the club makes less money. (Or, I imagine, and even bigger loss!)

So, the club suffers for an abomination that we voted against, because some clubs couldn't see beyond the end of their nose...

Interestingly, whereas Sky have always televised this tournament in its previous incarnations, are now only televising it from the semi - final stage. Presumably when they expect only Premiership U23 teams to be left. Making sure that those poor clubs who make so little money from the rest of the season, are the only ones to get any TV money...
  • sammy391 said:

sammy391 said:

Does it matter?
    It matters.

Apart from an indicator to the shitness of the competition.

If the figures are accurate then fine, if they are good compared to other clubs then it shows that the boycott isn't effective, if our attendances are historically low compared to other clubs and our own then it speaks volumes.

If the club issue deliberately inflated figures then it shows that they are very worried and the boycott is having an effect. It also proves another lie.

Don't see why you and Cyril couldn't work that out, but I suspect you might have.
    It can show anything. It may show that we have more fans that would watch anything than other clubs! Not many but more than the likes of Shrewsbury! Those people are unlikely to be protesting by not going to games!
  • Sponsored links:

• I would go, but Roger told me not to.

• Apologies to @Viewfinder and any onshore/offshore/extra-terrestrial Addicks baffled by my terminology ....

BFG is short for Big Friendly Giant, the newly-minted nickname for Patrick Bauer. If I heard right on Saturday he now has his own song (Big f...g German, he's just a big f...g German, etc), a ditty not to be found within the pages of the eponymous children's story written by Roald Dahl.

EK15 is a normal abbreviation for a player - in this case Ezri Konsa, number 15- possibly started originally to save time when referring to JBG7.

TBBM has been standard football magazine-speak for maybe 25 years now and stands for The Bloke Behind Me.

What does JBG7 stand for?

:-)
  • Halix said:

I went along to give moral support to the BFG on what I supposed would be the next leg of his return. That worked out well, then. I switched to watching EK15 - a special talent developing nicely, and fast. Hanlon was also impressive. I left after 62 minutes to avoid further mental punishment from TBBM.

I really do not understand why anyone who appears to despise, and decry, the club and its players as much as you seem to, would feel the need to attend every home game. Would it not be cheaper to stay home on a saturday, sit in a dark room, ripping up fivers, and bang tacks into your leg with a hammer?.
    In the absence of proper players - since Kermorgant and Bradley Wright-Phillips, at least - we are a pathetic little team. Mean, shrewish, conceited, and ignorant.

Why didn't Jackson SHOUT at Fraeye: "FUCK OFF, We will play this way!" It's we, the fans, who suffer all the dreary failure. Jackson limped off after twenty minutes against Bolton - having been outplayed again - and The Valley applauded. 'Scuse me, luv, but a bottled shoulder-charge and a pulled hamstring isn't cause for hero-worship.

Ricky Holmes is the best player in our squad. He's on fire: urgent, aggressive, quick to run and receive. And he scores. Magennis is superb too, alert and strong, leaping and back-heading for Ajose - who isn't quite there.

Now, when will we get a central midfielder to link defence with attack?

• edited August 2016

Halix said:

In the absence of proper players - since Kermorgant and Bradley Wright-Phillips, at least - we are a pathetic little team. Mean, shrewish, conceited, and ignorant.

Why didn't Jackson SHOUT at Fraeye: "FUCK OFF, We will play this way!" It's we, the fans, who suffer all the dreary failure. Jackson limped off after twenty minutes against Bolton - having been outplayed again - and The Valley applauded. 'Scuse me, luv, but a bottled shoulder-charge and a pulled hamstring isn't cause for hero-worship.

Ricky Holmes is the best player in our squad. He's on fire: urgent, aggressive, quick to run and receive. And he scores. Magennis is superb too, alert and strong, leaping and back-heading for Ajose - who isn't quite there.

As mentioned previously if it gives you so much pain DONT GO, dont slag off all the club, its players and the management. We know we are in trouble and are having to rebuild, its bloody obvious but thats how it is. If we are such a "pathetic little team, mean, shrewish, conceited, and ignorant" spare yourself the grief and go support a big team like Palace.

And by the way, I applauded Jackson off for his past efforts and contributions, not just for the few minutes he played. And you must be niave to expect a player, or any worker, to swear at, and ignore a managers instructions- there is only one outcome from that behaviour.
  • dickplumb said:

Congratulations Viewfinder, that is the biggest pile of shit I have seen posted on a Charlton Forum. Let me tell you there has been some competition.

Mainly his other posts
    That's exactly the sort of response I'd expect from a Communist
  • Does this count for RoJo's first win bonus since returning to the club?
  • sm said:

Does this count for RoJo's first win bonus since returning to the club?

Slade was quick to say the penalty shoot-out in the pre-season friendly wasn't a defeat (Mourinho logic).

So surely this doesn't count as a win.
  • wasn't there .. this is a contrived, rubbish competition but at the very least it gave some of our squad much needed game time and allowed Slade to have a look at them in 'competitive' action
  • Sponsored links:

• Halix said:

This one was rubbish. You've flown too close to the sun, Icarus
  • I suppose we didn't break the competition rules because we didn't have a game on Saturday and it was possibly a useful game for Slade in some respects. In the same way a competitive reserve game is.
  • Writing as one of 'the few' (who went), in overview the turgid first half may have been 'under instruction', as in 'keep in the game and build from there', almost undone by a ref who saw every contact by us as a foul, but managed to miss a lot the other way. Not sure why he gave the pen - apart from what I've just typed- but great save by Phillips. Second half, change of pace- just like watching last season's Development Squad, because that's mainly what it was! Presume Foley is in there because there's nobody else, even missed his pen. Chicksen looked useful.

• Just thinking ....... one benefit may have been our young lads elated at scoring their penalties and winning the shootout.

Good confidence builder.

Is it not Big F*cking German? At least that is how the song goes.
  • 7:40AM

I don't understand some of your comments about deliberately breaking the rules.

If you break the rules, and the EFL enforces them with fines, who wins? The EFL picks up the money, and makes a profit from this futile tournament. Why let them celebrate failure? If every team did it, the clowns in suits will be laughing all the way to the bank...

DON'T break the rules. Then, at the end, they can look at the failure, and wail and gnash their teeth at the failed experiment, and wonder what to do next.

The same thing with ticket price. Airman will have more knowledge of this than me, but how much does it cost to open The Valley for a night? Stewarding, ticket office, printing some sort of programme (and as they were giving them away, there would be some cost), electricity for the floodlights (which I'm sure can't be cheap). Charge less for the tickets, and the club makes less money. (Or, I imagine, and even bigger loss!)

So, the club suffers for an abomination that we voted against, because some clubs couldn't see beyond the end of their nose...

Interestingly, whereas Sky have always televised this tournament in its previous incarnations, are now only televising it from the semi - final stage. Presumably when they expect only Premiership U23 teams to be left. Making sure that those poor clubs who make so little money from the rest of the season, are the only ones to get any TV money...

They weren't even showing the scores last night.
  • edited August 2016

EDIT: Already done missed it first time round.
  • Addicted said:

dickplumb said:

Congratulations Viewfinder, that is the biggest pile of shit I have seen posted on a Charlton Forum. Let me tell you there has been some competition.

Mainly his other posts
    That's exactly the sort of response I'd expect from a Communist
    Not just a communist - one that won't go and support his team on a Saturday who has an angry disabled mother with a shotgun
  • I attended for the first time in about 2 years. Mainly as I was passing through on my commute after a bad day.

Next time I'll shoot myself instead, less agony.

• I went along to give moral support to the BFG on what I supposed would be the next leg of his return. That worked out well, then. I switched to watching EK15 - a special talent developing nicely, and fast. Hanlon was also impressive. I left after 62 minutes to avoid further mental punishment from TBBM.

Are you Colin 1961 ? I've missed you .