Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Driverless Cars

124»

Comments

• Options
    Hex said:
    I drive a Volvo with a lot of extras on it.

Yesterday I was driving along the M25 when I tried to open a bag of peanuts I had bought earlier.
    After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at opening the peanuts, I switched on the Adaptive Cruise Control and also another extra called Pilot Assist.

Pilot Assist keeps the car central in the lane using the white lines on the road to guide it.

The car was now driving itself. It was a bit weird but I managed to open the Peanuts and also open a bottle of Water before I resumed driving the car.

It worked fine and I felt safe.
    Both these technologies have been around for years and are fitted to standard cars, still miles away from driverless though 
    But that is the way we are going to get to driverless cars.  We are progressing through the 4 or 5 stages defined many years ago.  Each element required for driverless is being introduced, first as an add-on, then as standard so that pretty much everything needed will have been standard for some time, having gone through exhaustive testing in millions of cars in live situations.  It’s still going to be fun though !
    Have millions of tests been done though, I don’t know anyone that uses cruise control or lane assist. 
  • Options
    Hex said:

Yesterday I was driving along the M25 when I tried to open a bag of peanuts I had bought earlier.
    After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at opening the peanuts, I switched on the Adaptive Cruise Control and also another extra called Pilot Assist.

Pilot Assist keeps the car central in the lane using the white lines on the road to guide it.

The car was now driving itself. It was a bit weird but I managed to open the Peanuts and also open a bottle of Water before I resumed driving the car.

Both these technologies have been around for years and are fitted to standard cars, still miles away from driverless though 
    But that is the way we are going to get to driverless cars.  We are progressing through the 4 or 5 stages defined many years ago.  Each element required for driverless is being introduced, first as an add-on, then as standard so that pretty much everything needed will have been standard for some time, having gone through exhaustive testing in millions of cars in live situations.  It’s still going to be fun though !
    Have millions of tests been done though, I don’t know anyone that uses cruise control or lane assist. 
    I use adaptive cruise control all the time, especially on motorways.  Lane assist I have set just to visual. The haptic portion of the feature drives me nuts. 
  • Options

Don't ever do that again.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I have used cruise control on my cars since 2001.  I use it all the time, particularly in 30/40 limit zones as it keeps the speed cameras at bay.  It is also more convenient to adjust speed by just using my thumb.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Cruise co from is fantastic on motorways or roads with average speed limits etc 
  • Options
    Speed limiter systems are now compulsory on all new vehicles sold in the EU. 
  • Options
    The transision from one to the other seems a massive obstacle. 
  • Options
    Speed limiter systems are now compulsory on all new vehicles sold in the EU. 
    My understanding of this - I could be wrong - is that it only applies to all new models launched, not all cars sold.
  • Options
    Here is an explanation of the levels of vehicle automation.  We are only at level 2 although level 3 is close.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carmagazine.co.uk/amp/car-news/tech/autonomous-car-levels-different-driverless-technology-levels-explained/

The 5 Levels of Vehicle Automation
    • Level 0 – No Automation. ...
    • Level 1 – Driver Assistance. ...
    • Level 2 – Partial Automation. ...
    • Level 3 – Conditional Automation. ...
    • Level 4 – High Automation. ...
    • Level 5 – Full Automation.
  • Options
    Just a thought on the possibility of zero car accidents from driverless cars. Would that reduce the number of organ donors? We can‘t be totally reliant on motorcyclists 🤔🤓
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Meanwhile, in the rear view mirror it was carnage! 😉
  • Options
    Hex said:

I use cruise control regularly when I’m on a motorway. I have Lane Assist but I find it an irritating addition rather than helpful. I’m sure driverless cars will happen but I really can’t see it in the next 10 years. To be honest I think it’s 20 - 25 years away.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Just a thought on the possibility of zero car accidents from driverless cars. Would that reduce the number of organ donors? We can‘t be totally reliant on motorcyclists 🤔🤓
    We can always follow China's example and bring back the death penalty. Probably have to expand the number of capital crimes to keep up with the demand though.  
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Just wondered if anyone had changed to a ‘3 phase electric system’ to accommodate their electric car(s)?

Guy knocked on the door (said he was doing work across the road) so they could have charging points fitted (hence the big holes on the other side of the road) I asked him how much it was to have a 3 phase electric system fitted, he said 6 grand!!! 

Not sure if all this is genuine or a scam?
  • Options
    Just wondered if anyone had changed to a ‘3 phase electric system’ to accommodate their electric car(s)?

Guy knocked on the door (said he was doing work across the road) so they could have charging points fitted (hence the big holes on the other side of the road) I asked him how much it was to have a 3 phase electric system fitted, he said 6 grand!!! 

Presumably that's a commercial premises?  I can't imagine domestic house would need 3 phase
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    CatAddick said:

Presumably that's a commercial premises?  I can't imagine domestic house would need 3 phase
    No, not a commercial premise, the guy I spoke to who was the contractor I think said Electric car charging points used up the capacity in a house, particularly if you have more than one of them fitted.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cant you wait till the neighbour goes out and then nip over the road?
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

No, not a commercial premise, the guy I spoke to who was the contractor I think said Electric car charging points used up the capacity in a house, particularly if you have more than one of them fitted.
    Seems a bit over the top IMHO (the three phase I mean, if it's just for car charge points).  Can well believe it could be £6k+ though...