Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

identity theft (again)

I know we had a thread on this recently, at the time I had just been a victim of my ebay account being hijacked (I don;t think I shall use ebay again). Shortly after someone used my credit card details to spend £900 at H.Samuel Online. Now there has been a third attempt at identity theft (I have never been so much in demand!).

Now on the weekend I had a call from a credit agency about someone applying online for a credit card using my details, they even had my employer and date of birth - it was only because they used a different address that the credit agency were suspicious - they said it could be someone backoffice getting my details from an application form etc.

... well I can think of one thing I have applied for recently!!! Hopefully no-one else on here has had anything like this happen to them recently have they?

Comments

• Options
    it was Henry
  • Options
    That is terrible
  • Options
    Not funny, it was me. I had £1800 lifted from my current account from cash machines in the Far East.
    I must say though, £900 in H Samuel? That must have been the whole shop!
  • Options
    it really is a joke though. The problem is that if they manage to actually get your identity its on your head to prove that you arent really you(?!), what a nightmare
  • Options
    My Lloyds TSB Credit Card was cloned & two transactions totalling £2,000 for internet goods were flagged up to me a couple of months back, thankfully they were able to block the transactions & the card was cut up. I have not bothered enabling the replacemt card. In fact I have now destroyed all my Cards bar my Visa Debit one now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]it really is a joke though. The problem is that if they manage to actually get your identity its on your head to prove that you arent really you(?!), what a nightmare
    To be honest I have never had to prove anything - my wife's had her bag nicked a couple of times in the past and credit cards stolen and used - but we've never had to prove or pay anything.

I shred everything that has any of our details on, so the use of an application form does sound a strong possibility.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]My Lloyds TSB Credit Card was cloned & two transactions totalling £2,000 for internet goods were flagged up to me a couple of months back, thankfully they were able to block the transactions & the card was cut up. I have not bothered enabling the replacemt card. In fact I have now destroyed all my Cards bar my Visa Debit one now.
    I had about 2 grand spent on photography equipment a couple of years ago on my card, but the Co-op spotted it and contacted me.
  • Options
    Perhaps you're not shredding properly Salad .

My Nan who is slowly losing her marbles thinks they'll get cloned so they shred everything , then burn whats left , and eventually they tip the ashes down the sink
  • Options
    yeah i think banks are a bit more clued up now. i remember watching a program a year or so ago and it showed how easy it was for people to get driving licences, credit cards, everything - it was pretty scary.

Glad you're not out of pocket, just a bloody nuisance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Perhaps you're not shredding properly Salad .

My Nan who is slowly losing her marbles thinks they'll get cloned so they shred everything , then burn whats left , and eventually they tip the ashes down the sink
    She ain't spreadinr the risk sufficiently ... should only put a third of the ashes down the sink.

Tell her to put a third in the compost, and a third in a cottage pie next time the family are round.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a call from MBNA on sunday afternoon asking if I'd signed up to a couple of internet sites and also tried to buy various car parts....all transactions adding up into the thousands which they blocked.

Obviously I hadn't and to be fair they were excellent about everything and didn't even question me, the woman actually said that they looked suspicious as they weren't bar tabs !!!!!. I use their credit card solely for work expenses, hence the majority of the transactions are in bars/restuarants/hotels and are generally fairly hefty.

They told me to cut my card up and have sent me another one straight away absolutely no hassle. They suspect it had been cloned in a bar in the City
  • Options
    Bunch of kids in Paris were using mine to buy playstation games from the internet. Only done for just over £110 so not picked up until I got my bill.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Bunch of kids in Paris were using mine to buy playstation games from the internet.

See paris, full of scumwards innit! What a craphole!
  • Options
    You can get your statutory credit reports from the three big credit agencies:

EXPERIAN: http://www.wiseconsumer.uk.experian.com/

EQUIFAX: https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/gb_consumerletter.ehtml

CALL CREDIT: http://www.callcredit.co.uk/download/creditfileapp.pdf

£2 each, arrive in the post.
  • Options
    i tell ya what, that experian is the most difficult site of them all, nearly impossible to fathom! I tried to get my report, couldnt, wasted an hour of my wor time and still no results! My Mrs told me off for not doing it, so she tried, low and behold she wasted an hour and the same outcome as me! I told you so was pretty sweet!! Then her step dad tried, now i no me and the mrs aint exactly the sharpest tools in the box, but her step dad is no mug, and could he do it either, no! Oh how i larfed!! ahahahahahahaha

rantover!
  • Options
    SS - There was a program on TV (Ch4 I think) last night.

They can get credit from simply knowing your name, where you live and your DOB.

Have you had any strange calls recently where you have divulged any info?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]SS - There was a program on TV (Ch4 I think) last night.
    I thought you were gonna talk about "Virgin School" ! How weird was that programme? And he's local (Petts Wood)!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]SS - There was a program on TV (Ch4 I think) last night.
    I thought you were gonna talk about "Virgin School" ! How weird was that programme? And he's local (Petts Wood)!

Didn't see it mate........Just couldn't bring myself to watch a program where a 26 yr old's first sexual experience was with a 50 yr old dutch bird
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]

Nailed on Palace fan