Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Would have been their birthday today...

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Derek Ufton, born 31 May 1928

Pre-season trading show for the cameras on 15 August 1957, Ufton coaching local boys.  Later that season Derek Ufton would play a role in football’s greatest comeback.

• Options
    Happy birthday Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    I don’t think he has passed away has he Chizz
  • Options
    I don’t think he has passed away has he Chizz
    You're right.  But that makes it an even happier birthday!
  • Options
    Very good Chizz and I take back all those thoughts about rules and regulations going to ruin 😄
  • Options
    RIP Dad
  • Options
    Tony Pawson MBE

Born 22 August 1921 at Winchester, died 12 October 2012

Tony Pawson was hardly a household name.  He only played a couple of games for the Addicks in the 1950s.  One of my all time favourite articles in VOTV was by Kevin Nolan in January in which Tony Pawson featured.

In the years following WWII games were played on Christmas Day usually starting at 11am with the reverse fixture - against the same team - played the following day.  On Christmas Day, 1959 we hosted Tottenham and were cleaned up 0-3. The Charlton fans who traipsed across London for the return fixture at White Hart Lane on Boxing Day would not have had any expectations of a win.

There were a couple of changes through injury for Charlton from the Christmas Day team, included among them Tony Pawson, an amateur well known in Corinthian circles but not beyond.  He arrived unannounced in the Charlton dressing room where, according to Derek Ufton, the team concluded Manager Jimmy Seed must have taken temporary leave of his senses.

Spurs took a second-minute lead which they doubled on 34 minutes.  Totally off the pace and out of his depth, Tony Pawson’s solitary contribution was a comically botched corner kick which left him flat on his back - which Billy Kiernan somehow converted to halve the lead.  Minutes later Kiernan scored again.  Half time 2-2.

With minutes to go in the game Alf Ramsey cleared off his goal line and Pawson, with his eyes closed by his own admission, crashed the ball past Ted Ditchburn to make it 3-2 and a win for the Addicks.

Tony Pawson played cricket for Oxford University and Kent where he scored 3,807 runs at an average of 37.  He was very popular with the crowds and his mischievous running between the wickets with Godfrey Evans emptied the bars.

Tony Pawson was a multi-talented sportsman and was for many years cricket correspondent for the Observer.  In 1980 he wrote a well received autobiography entitled “Runs and Catches”.  He was a member of England’s world championship-winning fly fishing team, a sport for which he became an authority, publishing instruction manuals.  In 1988 he was awarded an MBE for services to disabled anglers.

As I mentioned, one of my favourite Voice of the Valley articles.

1959 was not the only Boxing Day game worth remembering for Charlton fans:

1967 - a brilliant fight back saw Charlton score three times in the last 25 minutes to clinch an unlikely draw against Norwich at the Valley

1999 - Charlton’s 2-1 over Crystal Palace at the Valley was the start of a great run of 12 successive league victories.

2003 - Charlton saw off moneybags Chelsea 4-2 with masterful performances by Scott Parker and Paolo Di Casio

2009 - A great comeback by Charlton against Swindon.  Sam Sodje and Deon Burton had both been sent off and Swindon were leading 2-1 in the final minute.  A long ball from Semedo reached Miguel Llera who finished superbly with a sublime lob to send Charlton fans home happy.

Strangely, Matthew Eastley doesn’t mention 1959 in his book “Charlton Athletic on This Day” - and our hero that memorable Boxing Day: Tony Pawson

But ….. Tony does make it into Stig’s “Charlton Athletic - Day by Day”.

• Options
    Johnny Summers was born at Shepherds Bush on 10 September 1927 - died in London from leukaemia in London aged 34. He played 182 games for us between 1956-61.

• Options
    Tony Pawson MBE

Born 22 August 1921 at Winchester, died 12 October 2012

Tony Pawson was hardly a household name.  He only played a couple of games for the Addicks in the 1950s.  One of my all time favourite articles in VOTV was by Kevin Nolan in January in which Tony Pawson featured.

In the years following WWII games were played on Christmas Day usually starting at 11am with the reverse fixture - against the same team - played the following day.  On Christmas Day, 1959 we hosted Tottenham and were cleaned up 0-3. The Charlton fans who traipsed across London for the return fixture at White Hart Lane on Boxing Day would not have had any expectations of a win.

There were a couple of changes through injury for Charlton from the Christmas Day team, included among them Tony Pawson, an amateur well known in Corinthian circles but not beyond.  He arrived unannounced in the Charlton dressing room where, according to Derek Ufton, the team concluded Manager Jimmy Seed must have taken temporary leave of his senses.

Spurs took a second-minute lead which they doubled on 34 minutes.  Totally off the pace and out of his depth, Tony Pawson’s solitary contribution was a comically botched corner kick which left him flat on his back - which Billy Kiernan somehow converted to halve the lead.  Minutes later Kiernan scored again.  Half time 2-2.

With minutes to go in the game Alf Ramsey cleared off his goal line and Pawson, with his eyes closed by his own admission, crashed the ball past Ted Ditchburn to make it 3-2 and a win for the Addicks.

Tony Pawson played cricket for Oxford University and Kent where he scored 3,807 runs at an average of 37.  He was very popular with the crowds and his mischievous running between the wickets with Godfrey Evans emptied the bars.

Tony Pawson was a multi-talented sportsman and was for many years cricket correspondent for the Observer.  In 1980 he wrote a well received autobiography entitled “Runs and Catches”.  He was a member of England’s world championship-winning fly fishing team, a sport for which he became an authority, publishing instruction manuals.  In 1988 he was awarded an MBE for services to disabled anglers.

As I mentioned, one of my favourite Voice of the Valley articles.

1959 was not the only Boxing Day game worth remembering for Charlton fans:

1967 - a brilliant fight back saw Charlton score three times in the last 25 minutes to clinch an unlikely draw against Norwich at the Valley

1999 - Charlton’s 2-1 over Crystal Palace at the Valley was the start of a great run of 12 successive league victories.

2003 - Charlton saw off moneybags Chelsea 4-2 with masterful performances by Scott Parker and Paolo Di Casio

2009 - A great comeback by Charlton against Swindon.  Sam Sodje and Deon Burton had both been sent off and Swindon were leading 2-1 in the final minute.  A long ball from Semedo reached Miguel Llera who finished superbly with a sublime lob to send Charlton fans home happy.

Strangely, Matthew Eastley doesn’t mention 1959 in his book “Charlton Athletic on This Day” - and our hero that memorable Boxing Day: Tony Pawson

But ….. Tony does make it into Stig’s “Charlton Athletic - Day by Day”.

Apologies for dragging up an old posting but I love this story so much and what better day to  have another look.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jesus
  • Options
    He's okay, but he's no Cab Calloway.
  • Options
    SAM BARTRAM (my hero) Born 22 January 1914 at Simonside, County Durham Died 17 July 1981 (67) at Harpenden, Hertfordshire Sam played in goal for Charlton for 22 years and was never dropped from the team until he retired in 1956 He holds four Charlton records - Most FA Cup appearances (44) Most appearances (623) Most league appearances (579) Oldest league player (42 years) On 7 February 1948 Charlton lost 2-0 away to Manchester United. Sam was chaired off the pitch by both sets of players after the FA Cup 5th Round defeat. Bartram called it his greatest performance. "One match, and one moment, that stood out from all the others and remained carved in my memory. No Aunt Sally at a fairground event ever underwent so prolonged and furious a peppering". Jimmy Seed wrote in his preface to Sam Bartram's autobiography - "When for the last time he took the goalkeeper's gloves from his gnarled hands - rough-hewn in service to Charlton - and hung up his worn and dilapidated cap, it gave me cause for reflection. I remembered his loyalty. No more faithful, constant and true-hearted man has played the game of football". On 9 June 2005 Charlton legends paraded at the Valley for the Club's 100th anniversary and for the unveiling of the bronze Sam Bartram statue. From: Charlton Athletic - A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Club by Michael Walsh and Charlton Athletic on this Day by Matthew Eastley.
    Never like to miss Bartram’s birthday.

If I knew how to do it I would change my name from Blackheathen to IsawSam
  • Options
    Les Dawson.  One of my favourites.
  • Options
    My Mum 😊
  • Options
    Happy birthday, Tel's Mum
  • Options
    Maradona yesterday - 

• Options
    Elvis Presley would have been 89 today.