Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ten and a Half Things You Never Knew About Fleetwood

Fleetwood's biggest employer is Lofthouse who manufacture the World famous Fisherman's Friend Lozenge.

It's original recipe included opium and absinthe, which gave it it's coarse texture and moorish flavour. It was particularly popular with Liverpudlians whose Charabanc trips to Blackpool always diverted to the Lofthouse factory where in 1892 the famous Scouse Shindig occurred resulting in the death of 18 scousers, including two who died from drowning in the vat of Fisherman's Friends mixture during the fermentation process.

There is a memorial to them in the town's cemetery in the shape of a lozenge.

Comments

• Options
    His full name is Stuart Keith Wakley Fleetwood
  • Options
    Fleetwood has the UK's largest population, per head of population, of Rastafarians.

Before sponsorship The Fleetwood ground was called the Highbury Stadium. Arsenal took their ground's name from Fleetwood, not the other way around as is often thought.
  • Options
    I never, ever suck a fishermans friend.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I never, ever suck a fishermans friend.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
  • Options
    A member of the famous legendary band Fleetwood Mac was born in Fleetwood, his name was Lindsey Buckingham.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

A member of the famous legendary band Fleetwood Mac was born in Fleetwood, his name was Lindsey Buckingham.

Not many people know that
  • Options

Fleetwood Council only allow one 'Mac' to reside in the town at any given time. This currently is John MacIntosh, 46. The council maintain a waiting list and operate a points system of suitability against those on the waiting list.

Every four years the council meets to review the input to the local community of the current Mac against the benefits of the highest points scorer on the waiting list. Whilst writing this even I am thinking this is possibly the most boring made up story anyone has ever submitted.

I concur......
  • Options
    I bought one of their laptops.
  • Options
    Fleetwoods most famous son, Syd Little, is actually the love child of Syd Barrett and Stuart Little.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With a population of under 26,000, Fleetwood claim to be the smallest town in England with a football league club.

However the population of Charlton is 14,385 so we are much smaller
  • Options
    Nat Lofthouse was once described as the greatest footballer never to play for Fleetwood. It's not strictly true, as he did play with them up to U16 level but he became disenchanted with the lack of opportunities for first team football and packed in the game to manufacture the town's famous opium-based cough sweets.
  • Options

With a population of under 26,000, Fleetwood claim to be the smallest town in England with a football league club.

However the population of Charlton is 14,385 so we are much smaller

The population of Charlton is14,380 my next door neighbours moved yesterday
  • Options
    Despite evidence to the contrary. The local council in Fleetwood are proud of the complete success of the worldwide ban on jokes, puns and anecdotes linking their fine town to the band Fleetwood Mac.

In the last financial year the fines levied for breaking this law accrued £18.47 to the council after legal fees.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Fleetwoods most famous son, Syd Little, is actually the love child of Syd Barrett and Stuart Little.

Syd Little has a restaurant in Fleetwood.
  • Options
    The Steamer along Queens Terrace is probably the closest example you'll get to the Millers if you're looking for that kind of thing.
  • Options
    There is no McDonald's in Fleetwood, and therefore an absence of Fleetwood's Big Mac.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Macronate said:

The Steamer along Queens Terrace is probably the closest example you'll get to the Millers if you're looking for that kind of thing.

I believe it's commonly referred to as the Cleveland Steamer.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

I'll be in there for about 12.30
  • Options
    Oranges are banned in Fleetwood however nectarines are positively encouraged.

(Old Wimpoles Citrus Encylopedia 1952 Edition)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fleetwood was actually named after the locals tendencies to pop a boner in the blink of an eye, especially if any women from outside the area passed through.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Stig said:

Syd Little has a restaurant in Fleetwood.
    http://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/news/local/syd-and-sheree-head-off-to-pastures-new-to-cook-1-7836409
  • Options
    Fleetwood, formally known as feetwood as it was the 2nd largest exporter of clogs behind the netherlands