Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Learned Ladies and Gentlemen of the marketing profession, your advice please..

It seems I have moved towards the marketing profession (the digital kind in my case) and need some assistance from the people wot really know what they are talking about..

What I'm after is a killer marketing book recommendation (not necessarily digital), so if you're in the know and can recommend one must read, preferably not too long and with nice pictures, I'd really appreciate your most excellent assistance?

Ta very much in advance

R

Comments

• Options
    This is a great perspective on brand strategy & objectives - not on the practicalities of marketing or digital as such. Also very influential, a lot of big brands have found this analysis very persuasive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Brands-Grow-What-Marketers/dp/0195573560

I'd recommend reading several different things (or synopses of them) rather than trying to find the one book which tells all...
  • Options
    razil said:

It seems I have moved towards the marketing profession (the digital kind in my case) and need some assistance from the people wot really know what they are talking about..

What I'm after is a killer marketing book recommendation (not necessarily digital), so if you're in the know and can recommend one must read, preferably not too long and with nice pictures, I'd really appreciate your most excellent assistance?

Ta very much in advance

R

Raz, any specific area of digital marketing - display, ppc, seo, cpa, social media, affiliate? Or is it all of those?

If you could clarify, I can point you in the right direction (or probably more accurately, know people who can).

We do a fair bit of it!!
  • Options
    I don't think one book will give you all the answers. I've needed to move into the digital marketing space over the last two years and I've learnt more by joining the Content Marketing Academy where there is a lot of concise content, an active form where will people will share ideas and help you as well as regular webinars. The range of stuff means you get a much wider perspective rather than a book which tends to focus on one person's success story and how they achieved what they achieved or books that are somewhat bland. Membership is around £350 per year, I think, but I think there are some free trials. If you give me your email address by inbox, I can ask the organiser to send some links if you are interested and possibly a free trial.
  • Options
    I need a grounding in pure marketing so I can talk the talk.. digital marketing would help too but not so much of a problem for me, or at least not at the moment. My current role is digital marketing - social media, website, CRM, but I want to grow in the direction of Marketing manager and or CRM manager.
  • Options
    I agree there is not one "killer" book - and some of the most influential for me are a bit dated now. I like to follow people like Seth Godin (foresaw a lot of the challenges of the digital age in his original book Permission Marketing) and Adam Morgan (signature book "Eat Big Fish"). Malcolm Gladwell's "Tipping Point" is another.

Business strategy, understanding the target audience and common sense can go much further than learning loads of buzz words/ jargon in my humble opinion and experience.

Might be worth looking at the Marketing Society and the IDM - though both fairly pricey to join. They offer a variety of online resources/ case studies as well as training (more IDM) and networking (MS) events. MS in London might be a bit more elitist than it is here in Scotland - certainly used to be, though it may have changed.

Worth reading up on things like the Net Promoter Score, too.

All the best - give me a shout if you want a chat.

• Options
    General Assembly are pretty good for courses.

This one is aimed at digital marketing - https://generalassemb.ly/education/learn-digital-marketing-online