Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ironman (not not the film!)

Got my first full Ironman this Sunday in Weymouth, any lifers done any or plan to do one? Any tips?

Comments

• Good luck Appy!
  • Nice.

Never done one

2017 is going to be triathlons, (back to) obstacle course races and also getting into cycling more in general for me.

Just running has been tough this year!

• Good luck - hat off to you. I'd never be able to complete the swim - bike and run would be no problem but I'd never get out of the water alive :)
  • Best of luck... I've done a Marathon but would never do a triathlon... thats partly down to my lack of swimming ability though
  • edited September 2016
    You're mad.

I've got a mate who does them and also 100 mile runs. I think he needs to be sectioned to be honest.

His last 100 mile run I asked how long he expected it to take, he replied "The last one took 26 hours, I'm hoping to break the 24 hour barrier this time".

Bonkers.
  • Go for it Appy!! I have a mate doing his first there too. After that he is doing the FitBit 50 Challenge. Much respect. I hope to do an Olympic triathlon soon, nevermind the iron man distance!! It seems that so many more people are giving these things a go these days. Once upon a time a normal triathlon was considered a monstrous achievement (well it still is really but you get what i mean).
  • Best of luck... I've done a Marathon but would never do a triathlon... thats partly down to my lack of swimming ability though

That can be overcome.... if you really really want to that is.
  • Best of luck Appy, nothing but admiration for your Iron(wo)men.

The only thing that has stopped me doing a tri is the swimming. I can swim but not at the standard required to be competitive. When I get over my double hernia which has stopped me running since the London Marathon, I'm planning on spending some time with a coach to sort out my swimming once and for all so at least I can do try onr. I'm feeling myself yearning for my bike again though now. I think it may be time I concentrate on time trials rather than long endurance events.

My body has told me that running marathons does me absolutely no favours. Running 130-140 miles a month was fine until I started running with an injury and I thought I knew best by running through it. Have certainly learnt the hard way unfortunately.

That can be overcome.... if you really really want to that is.
    Nah I've never been a good swimmer since childhood, dont have strength to get through the water
  • Guy sitting behind me at work is also doing his first at Weymouth on Sunday.

Good luck!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Fancy a triathlon, probably Olympic distance. After a year of niggling injuries back running so will look to aim at that.
  • Done two this morning and have three booked in for the way home

Dunno what the big deal is
  • All the very best @appyAddick. I would love to do one at some point (before I get too old).

How do you find enough time to do the training?
  • You're mad.

I've got a mate who does them and also 100 mile runs. I think he needs to be sectioned to be honest.

His last 100 mile run I asked how long he expected it to take, he replied "The last one took 26 hours, I'm hoping to break the 24 hour barrier this time".

Bonkers.

I literally can't run 100 metres without stopping
  • Thanks for the comments all, i only started swimming 3 years ago so anything is possible. 20 hours training a week is tough but i hope worth it once finished.....I was 24 stone a few years back, seats were always a struggle at the Valley back then. Will let you know how i get on.

Impressive mate, congratulations, that is some achievement.
  • Well it was a tough day, but all done. I have the medal and Tshirt to prove it.

Swim 2.4 miles 1 hour 33
    Bike 112 miles 6500 feet of elevation 7 hours 15
    Run 26.2 miles 5 hours and 2

With transitions total time 14 hours 17 mins......

Great achievement! Well done Appy. Now time for a few beers and some rest!!
  • Awesome work AppyAddick. I'm in total awe of you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice one
    Got me thinking though
    Might of been on the one show
    Was a mad runner from years back who was banned from running competitions because he had done a little bit of boxing and received a bit of money.
    He kept hijacking the runs though can't remember his name.
  • Found him
    Ghost runner John tarrant

• Well done.
    Does transition include stopping for food?
  • Late reply.......... sorry SheffieldRed transitions are mainly used by us non professionals to change from swim to bike gear and then from bike to run gear. You eat while on the move, i kept myself going with chocolate brioche buns from Sainsbury.............i ate 12 on the bike! Have booked my next one 13th of August in Hamburg.
  • I'll try a Tri this year.
  • 6 years ago, Ironman Hamburg.

Not had a swim since...

Not had a swim since...
    The question I’m thinking of, what are you trying to prove?

Not had a swim since...
    The question I’m thinking of, what are you trying to prove?
    I guess i was reflecting on when i was fit. Going back tour post on meds i am now on all sorts including blood thinners for a DVT back in Jan. Not been active since then and need to get back to it. 

Not had a swim since...
    You don't look very 'appy

Not had a swim since...
    You don't look very 'appy.

Tired at thought ot it