Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man U/Man C/Liverpool/Chelsea - plastics?

Comments

• Options

JohnBoyUK said:

To call City fans plastics is ridiculous. They have possibly one of the most loyal fan bases in the country and got massive gates in the third tier.

Apart from the Bulgarian fella who was temping in my office last year who came in wearing a City shirt, proclaiming to have been supporting them for 25 years lol. Plastic.
    You should have fired off a load of City related questions covering the last 25 years. He probably would only be able to go back 4 or 5 years - without the aid of Google.
    Oh we did. Me and my Man Utd season-ticket holding colleague took great delight in ripping him to shreds over it.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

This page tells you almost everything you need to know about manure's plastics.

manutd.com/en/Fanzone/Local-Supporters-Clubs/Overseas/Asia.aspx

One of my nieces' husbands in Northern Ireland supports Manchester United; the other Liverpool. But only on Sky you understand, neither has actually been to a match!

But they dont 'support' they are fans of. My cut off point is this, Supporters go to the games, fans dont, end of. FACT.
    What do you call people who go to the games but are not a fan of the team?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Put it this way, there are thousands of "fans" if Liverpool and ManUre who walk around in the kit, who live in and around London and have never been to a match. I only ever see Man City shirts in London when they have an away game in the area. The fact they still don't sell out the Etihad suggests they haven't had a massive influx of plastic fans. I'm not sure about Chelsea, they have probably had more people jump on the bandwagon, but again nowhere near the amount that Liverpool and ManUre have had

I think we must live in different parts of London, I've seen plenty of Citeh shirts. I also don't think the empty stadium adds weight to your argument because surely if the people are going to the games then they are not proper plastic bandwagon jumpers.
  • Options
    Anyone who supports a successful team from miles away, with which they have no strong true affinity is a glory hunting plastic in my eyes. Whether they have a season ticket or not. And if they don't go they are not fans either, they are followers (I include myself in that category).
  • Options

Anyone who supports a successful team from miles away, with which they have no strong true affinity is a glory hunting plastic in my eyes. Whether they have a season ticket or not. And if they don't go they are not fans either, they are followers (I include myself in that category).

So.... I'm neither a Charlton supporter (Charlton were a successful team during the Premiership years) nor a Charlton fan. I'm just a follower. :cry:
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

One of my nieces' husbands in Northern Ireland supports Manchester United; the other Liverpool. But only on Sky you understand, neither has actually been to a match!

But they dont 'support' they are fans of. My cut off point is this, Supporters go to the games, fans dont, end of. FACT.
    What do you call people who go to the games but are not a fan of the team?
    Daytrippers
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

To call City fans plastics is ridiculous. They have possibly one of the most loyal fan bases in the country and got massive gates in the third tier.

Apart from the Bulgarian fella who was temping in my office last year who came in wearing a City shirt, proclaiming to have been supporting them for 25 years lol. Plastic.
    You should have fired off a load of City related questions covering the last 25 years. He probably would only be able to go back 4 or 5 years - without the aid of Google.
    Like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So.... I'm neither a Charlton supporter (Charlton were a successful team during the Premiership years) nor a Charlton fan. I'm just a follower. :cry:
    Jessie you're a Charlton supporter, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    No, sorry Gaz, not in my book (as I said, neither am I). Otherwise I have to accept that all the spineless, Parker-Knoll, spunk monkeys from places like Winchester in the Chelarsepool United football shirt their nan buys them every year are also supporters, and they are not. They are twats (as previously stated).

Our Jess probably gets a nod on the Fan(atic) score, for her love for such a sorry bunch as the Addicks from such distant shores, in fairness. But her fellow countrypersons who follow Chelarsepool United have no right to call themselves anything other than followers. And Twatty followers at that - that's not racist by the way, I look askance at people from the Wirral who "support" Liverpool... :wink:
  • Options
    I very often say to those who tell me that they support Man U etc..... 'Oh, I didn't realise you were from that part of England'.

I met someone from Liverpool once and asked if he was a red or a blue. Tranmere he said. That's a real fan-supporter I thought.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

I very often say to those who tell me that they support Man U etc..... 'Oh, I didn't realise you were from that part of England'.

I met someone from Liverpool once and asked if he was a red or a blue. Tranmere he said. That's a real fan-supporter I thought.

I love their chant...

"Don't be mistaken,
    Don't be misled,
    We're not scousers,
    We're from Birkenhead"
  • Options

just morons, go to one of there games ull be blinded by some wanker with a selfie stick thats just paid 150 nicker to a tout, get quite a few chelsea tickets through my cousin whos mate can never be assed about going to midweek games so i get his season ticket for free, honestly its a joke down there. they've all got plastic fans.

And you go, right?

Wow!! Pot, kettle, black
  • Options

Totally true ...apart from the fact that you have been genuine Charlton for decades
  • Options

No, sorry Gaz, not in my book (as I said, neither am I). Otherwise I have to accept that all the spineless, Parker-Knoll, spunk monkeys from places like Winchester in the Chelarsepool United football shirt their nan buys them every year are also supporters, and they are not. They are twats (as previously stated).

Our Jess probably gets a nod on the Fan(atic) score, for her love for such a sorry bunch as the Addicks from such distant shores, in fairness. But her fellow countrypersons who follow Chelarsepool United have no right to call themselves anything other than followers. And Twatty followers at that - that's not racist by the way, I look askance at people from the Wirral who "support" Liverpool... :wink:
    If sticking with a sad little club you follow from another continent while it devolves into increasingly ridiculous levels of insanity, without even having the saving grace of being able to look out over The Valley or watching a win doesn't make you a supporter then I suspect your definition might be horseshit.
  • Options
    it's certainly true Liverpool have a lot of plastic fans now, but one of the main reasons they are are smaller club than manure now is that during their golden years of the 70's they very much were a Liverpool club. The pride that the local city and the club had that the 78 Eurpoean club winners included so many scousers was as imporatnat as the fact they the cup was actually won. Outsiders were not welcome and ther was no effort to encourage it. The stadium was filled with scousers. This was admirable in the short term but not from a long term marketing pointof view which is one area the club from the other corner of lancashire made the most of.
  • Options

i do know a bloke that's got a man u season ticket trains it to every game and lived in bexley all his life.

Great supporter.
  • Options

i do know a bloke that's got a man u season ticket trains it to every game and lived in bexley all his life.

That to me is a superb supporter. There's no law that says you 'have' to support your local team and he's obviously very dedicated to do all that travelling. It's the guys for whom the extent of 'supporting' their team is to wear the teams shirt whilst watching the game on sky in the pub then disappearing home as soon as the final whistle goes that are the real plastics.
  • Options

25May98 said:

I love their chant...

"Don't be mistaken,
    Don't be misled,
    We're not scousers,
    We're from Birkenhead"
    Is the fan of one team who's always on his rival teams forum a 'closet' fan of that team?

chuckle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If sticking with a sad little club you follow from another continent while it devolves into increasingly ridiculous levels of insanity, without even having the saving grace of being able to look out over The Valley or watching a win doesn't make you a supporter then I suspect your definition might be horseshit.
    It is a tad tongue in cheek GM...

I would be interested how you would define things?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Totally true ...apart from the fact that you have been genuine Charlton for decades
    I am still just a follower now mate. Regime aside I rarely cheer the team on in person, or support the club financially, so I am neither a fan(atic) or (financial) supporter.

Regime included, our brief visit back to the UK this year does not revolve around the Addicks for the first time in 13 years. We have arranged it around a couple of music events.
  • Options

I work with an Arsenal fan who doesnt know who Ian Wright is

I worked with an Arsenal fan, who had no idea of their 1989 season and their game at Anfield that season.
  • Options

I think it's impossible to define because there's always an exception that ruins your rule. I might have agreed with your rule if it wasn't for someone like Jessie who we're lucky to be able to call a supporter. I think you should support your local team, but then I'm not from Charlton. I had a choice and I chose the team where my dad grew up. I'm still a supporter though even though I'm not going to The Valley this season. As far as I'm concerned it depends entirely on the person and what they give
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Be very surprised if he was from Liverpool. Maybe Merseyside but on the Wirall. Otherwise it would be the same as someone from the the East End supporting Gillingham.
    Either way good for him.
  • Options

I think it's impossible to define because there's always an exception that ruins your rule. I might have agreed with your rule if it wasn't for someone like Jessie who we're lucky to be able to call a supporter. I think you should support your local team, but then I'm not from Charlton. I had a choice and I chose the team where my dad grew up. I'm still a supporter though even though I'm not going to The Valley this season. As far as I'm concerned it depends entirely on the person and what they give
    I can't give that as an answer to some of the chopsy toe rags who come into the pub and take the piss. Thanks for your take on it though GM. :smile:
  • Options
    I lived on Ifield Road in Fulham for three years, the Stamford Bridge floodlights lit up my kitchen when there was a game. The idea of a short walk to watch Chelsea instead of travelling to Charlton on game days never crossed my mind. I have to get on my son's arse though as he's a Man U. "plastic", not necessarily his fault as he's never been to England. However, in his bar in Stuart, Florida during the football season, all of the TVs are tuned to (real) football. He (like many Americans) loves our game, even though he never got the chance to play it.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    limeygent said:

I lived on Ifield Road in Fulham for three years, the Stamford Bridge floodlights lit up my kitchen when there was a game. The idea of a short walk to watch Chelsea instead of travelling to Charlton on game days never crossed my mind. I have to get on my son's arse though as he's a Man U. "plastic", not necessarily his fault as he's never been to England. However, in his bar in Stuart, Florida during the football season, all of the TVs are tuned to (real) football. He (like many Americans) loves our game, even though he never got the chance to play it.

Get him to join this forum if he's not on here already, he'll fit right in :wink: .
  • Options
    Chizz said:

cafcfan said:

You have a niece in Northern Ireland with two husbands? And they support different teams?

I can't begin to imagine the rows that part of your family must get into.
    You need to look at the position of the apostrophe. Punctuation is your friend.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

cafcfan said:

Or, alternatively, not. Fan is, of course, an abbreviation of fanatic. Surely therefore a fanatic is far more likely to go to a game than someone who was merely a supporter?