Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hisense TVs

Hey

Has anyone had one of these? Considering a new TV, but can't afford a big brand one.

These are highly recommended according to reviews but thought I'd check with the Lifer community.

Comments

• Options
    I looked at them a little while ago and a guy on AVForums was raving about them and I trust the judgement of the posters there when it comes to AV equipment

I had never heard of them so went with a safe option (Samsung) but Hisense's ads were all over the Euro2016 pitchside boards so they are obviously on a push at the moment.

If you have a specific model in mind check out the Revoo ratings and see if there is a discussion on avforums.
  • Options
    Maybe worth looking to see who owns them, more often than not one of the bigger boys sets up another name to aim at a different market. Toyota and Lexus for example
  • Options
    Looked at them a little while ago. They are Chinese state owned. Been around since 1969! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hisense
  • Options
    I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to TVs.

I did seriously look at these a few weeks ago when I bought a new 4k for the living room. The specs are very good for the price and they always score well in budget reviews.

Ended up going for an LG in the end was marked down from £1300 to £789 and was too good a deal.

• Options
    cafc-west said:

Looked at them a little while ago. They are Chinese state owned. Been around since 1969! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hisense

Sharp and Hitachi are the names they sold according to that, no idea on reliability always been a Samsung TV man myself.
  • Options
    Haven't got one myself, but they look pretty good by all accounts.

Based on reviews I wouldn't attach to much value to the brand name. I got a cheap TV when I moved last year, budget Seiki aimed at the budget market. For the price of it I bought it fully expecting to have to replace it a few months later when the expenses of moving had settled down.

Well, it's been working perfectly for a year now - crisp picture quality and decent sound. Rather than replace the TV I'm probably going to invest in some surround sound for when I'm watching movies and rig up some form of Ambilight behind it.

Probably my best purchase when I moved to be entirely honest with you! It definitely made me rethink brand names too. If I was you I'd trust the reviews and go for it.
  • Options
    have been looking last couple of weeks at tvs in the 55-65 inch range for my man cave. The Hisense reviews look pretty good in all counts but not sure if I can drag myself away from the Sony's and Samsung's which I've had for the last 10 years. Any suggestions for a 55-65 up to around £1,500 max most welcome.
  • Options
    Wait a while, save up a bit and buy a Panasonic. Would be my advice.
  • Options
    I'm looking at upgrading as well.
    Currently got a 9 year old LG TV with Chromecast.
    Keen on a Samsung, especially as they seem to be on the forefront with the available apps.
    But then I read that the Samsung TV apps can be clunky to use and it generally much easier to navigate from the phone.
    An example is Netflix (apparently). Much faster to navigate from your phone (compared to the TV with the remote control).
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Keen on a Samsung, especially as they seem to be on the forefront with the available apps.
    But then I read that the Samsung TV apps can be clunky to use and it generally much easier to navigate from the phone.
    An example is Netflix (apparently). Much faster to navigate from your phone (compared to the TV with the remote control).

Stick with LG. The Web 3.0 OS is the best smart tv interface by a country mile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danepak said:

I just bought a new Samsung UHD TV (technology is so much cheaper here, especially at Costco). I moved the old TV to the workout room to justify the unnecessary purchase. Both are Samsungs, and I, and everyone I know who has them has always been very happy with Samsungs.

The apps can be a bit clunky, but I've found that, largely, Netflix and HBOGo (not applicable here, I know) are very solid. With Netflix, as with YouTube, I recommend browsing for things to watch on a Phone/Tab/computer. That's always going to be easier because of the amount of content you're looking through, nothing really to do with the app itself. Our other big streaming one, Amazon Prime Streaming, is clunky but then Amazon Prime Streaming is clunky for everything. YouTube app is pretty good, the biggest issue is trying to search for videos or whatever on your telly, but if you have longer things you know you want to watch yeah it works really well.
  • Options
    Wow, looks like the ads at the Euro's are working now? :wink: It's indeed a Chinese brand and just now I asked my dad about it (he knows much more about electronic products than I do) he said it's become the best Chinese TV brand in recent years. So if you're not planning to buy a Samsung, Panosonic etc., I think you could try Hisense. If I had to buy a new one, I'd go for it.
  • Options
    Once I've moved I'll give one a go and let you all know how it goes.
  • Options
    If I could I'd go for an LG OLED 65" but I just couldn't justify £4000 on a TV
  • Options
    I've got a 4k hisense and it's been brilliant, struggled a little finding the right settings for it initially but picture quality is excellent and a snippet of the price of a Samsung etc.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

have been looking last couple of weeks at tvs in the 55-65 inch range for my man cave. The Hisense reviews look pretty good in all counts but not sure if I can drag myself away from the Sony's and Samsung's which I've had for the last 10 years. Any suggestions for a 55-65 up to around £1,500 max most welcome.

Here you go http://amzn.to/2ccwweD
  • Options
    Got my telly in Sainsburys, it's absolutely brilliant ,even got nectar points with it.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Man cave :smile:

Tell me more.

Just had mine contracted and plastered so I have an empty shell to fill and can't quite decide what to go with.
  • Options

Wow, looks like the ads at the Euro's are working now? :wink:

Anyone tried any oil from Azerbaijan?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited September 2016
    Ive always loved Panasonic's myself...we bought three 42 inch jobies for the bedrooms and then when we wanted to get a big screen for our living room Panasonic dropped out of the market here in Australia....I did a lot of research and eventually bought a Sony 75 inch just about a year ago....its is bloody superb is all I can say. The picture quality is superb, the logic was a problem with update downloads for the first couple of months but since then its been plain sailing. However, the best picture of all is on my beloved 50 inch Pioneer....the absolute Rolls Royce of the Tv world...sadly no longer made.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Ive always loved Panasonic's myself...we bought three 42 inch jobies for the bedrooms and then when we wanted to get a big screen for our living room Panasonic dropped out of the market here in Australia....I did a lot of research and eventually bought a Sony 75 inch just about a year ago....its is bloody superb is all I can say. The picture quality is superb, the logic was a problem with update downloads for the first couple of months but since then its been plain sailing. However, the best picture of all is on my beloved 50 inch Pioneer....the absolute Rolls Royce of the Tv world...sadly no longer made.

Spot on with the Pioneer and the Panasonic , they always got great reviews. It was a bit of a shock when Pioneer announced that they were stopping production.
    There is a difference in quality, (not just the picture),from the budget ranges to the top end, obviously, but give it a couple of years and I would expect Hisense to be well established amongst LG and Samsung. Their prices will rise according no doubt.

Now that Sky are doing 4K on their Q box I will be buy my wife a nice Christmas present this year, either a Samsung or an LG 65".
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Well my advice would be not to. I have a Pansonic with a freesat tuner built-in. Panasonic failed to meet the required specs for the satellite signals and now that ITV have changed the set-up of the forward error correction (FEC), all the ITV channels break up and pixelate. Panasonic blame ITV for changing the FEC and ITV blame Panasonic for not building their kit properly. As it isn't an issue for any other brand or any other channels, the finger is pointing straight at Panasonic but they don't give a shit. If I didn't also have a separate youview box all the ITV channels would be unwatchable. I would never buy another of their products.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Well my advice would be not to. I have a Pansonic with a freesat tuner built-in. Panasonic failed to meet the required specs for the satellite signals and now that ITV have changed the set-up of the forward error correction (FEC), all the ITV channels break up and pixelate. Panasonic blame ITV for changing the FEC and ITV blame Panasonic for not building their kit properly. As it isn't an issue for any other brand or any other channels, the finger is pointing straight at Panasonic but they don't give a shit. If I didn't also have a separate youview box all the ITV channels would be unwatchable. I would never buy another of their products.
    Time to download Kodi?
  • Options
    Might be a bit of a daft question...but if I have a Samsung Smart TV and Samsung smart phone, would I then still require Chromecast for the TV in some instances?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I don't think it's logical to avoid Hisense for a more trusted brand. Big Chinese companies like Hisense have grown out of doing OEM, so they're the ones that actually make and build TVs for other brands like Sharp, Sony... They build them and stick another logo on the product. If you trust those more European brands then really you're trusting Hisense.

Likewise most people have probably never heard of Midea. They're the biggest home appliance manufacturer in the world but for decades they too have been doing OEM. They make the products then stick a Panasonic, Bosch, logo on them and send them out. They're just now starting to promote their own brand, offering same-quality products at a third of the price of other brands. Chinese companies are going to be unstoppable in the next 10 years because they hold the expertise and the manufacturing which means they can offer great products at much lower prices.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Sounds like you will be missing this years celebrities in the jungle and X factor.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I don't think it's logical to avoid Hisense for a more trusted brand. Big Chinese companies like Hisense have grown out of doing OEM, so they're the ones that actually make and build TVs for other brands like Sharp, Sony... They build them and stick another logo on the product. If you trust those more European brands then really you're trusting Hisense.

Likewise most people have probably never heard of Midea. They're the biggest home appliance manufacturer in the world but for decades they too have been doing OEM. They make the products then stick a Panasonic, Bosch, logo on them and send them out. They're just now starting to promote their own brand, offering same-quality products at a third of the price of other brands. Chinese companies are going to be unstoppable in the next 10 years because they hold the expertise and the manufacturing which means they can offer great products at much lower prices.

I am sure that TV 'panels' are manufactured by a very small number of companies but the thing that makes one supplier/brand better than another is the hardware/software that manipulates the basic picture. For a long time Panasonic were the leaders then Samsung took over. It's a few years since I purchased a TV so I've no idea who the current leader is.
  • Options
    Top 10 (apparently random page on Google)
    1.Samsung
    2.LG
    3.Sony
    4.Panasonic
    5.Sharp
    6.Vizio
    7.Philips
    8.Toshiba
    9.Mitsubishi
    10.RCA

For Ultra HD (could only find a top 5 list)
    1.Samsung
    2.Sony
    3.LG
    4.Hisense
    5.Panasonic

• Options
    cafc-west said:

Malware!!