Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car Hire. DVLA code

Hi

I know of the new legislation for car hire but for some reason my details are not recognised. Which means I cannot use the online portal. No one at DVLA can help. So again I have to phone up and go through the torture with DVLA. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Yes.
    I bought a car.
  • Options
    I have a car but not in Italy!!
  • Options
    I had a similar problem actually.
  • Options
    Oh thank god thought I was thr only one. Spoken to another useless individual who cannot help so just emailed in a complaint. Stuck between Dvla and HMRC all the individual records are correct just not synced.
  • Options
    What i'd like to know is...why do HMRC need to know if you want to hire a car in Italy ? totally smacks of big brother. Can see a situation in the future where you have to provide your HMRC RFID tag to buy a pint in the booza.
  • Options
    You don't need it for car hire abroad do you? It's only when hiring in UK? I just returned from Spain and we didn't need it for the car hire there.
  • Options
    I didn't get asked for it in France by Europcar either. You may be ok.
  • Options
    The UK hire company in the UK we used for Spain 100% confirmed it wasn't needed.
  • Options

What i'd like to know is...why do HMRC need to know if you want to hire a car in Italy ? totally smacks of big brother. Can see a situation in the future where you have to provide your HMRC RFID tag to buy a pint in the booza.

They don't and they don't care. It's just the same portal into the Govt. computer system. It's called the Government Gateway and gives you access to all sorts of services. It just so happens to include filling in you tax return, DVLA and stuff like passport renewal. In some ways it is quite handy. They simply upload your passport photo to your driver's licence for example saving you the bother of getting another photo taken.
  • Options
    You need your driver license No, your NI No. and your post code.

Needed the code, when I hired a car in Ireland recently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you go to a decenrt hire car company they will help you out.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Hi

I know of the new legislation for car hire but for some reason my details are not recognised. Which means I cannot use the online portal. No one at DVLA can help. So again I have to phone up and go through the torture with DVLA. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it.
    Thanks.

Rung the ticket office.