Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are overhead kicks not dangerous play ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    PeterGage said:

Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct covers "dangerous play". The law,, in relation to dangerous play, states

"Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the
    ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes
    preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.
    A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to
    an opponent".

It is clearly down to individual referees to judge any such potential incident and thus one can only assume that in the Costa case, the referee deemed it wasn't dangerous. It seems the Swansea players agreed, in that I didn't see any of their players protesting.

And that is why there is so much inconsistency Peter, Costa's overhead kick was clearly dangerous play because he made contact with Naughton as I said earlier. I would like to think you would have given a free kick because if I'd been a Swansea defender I would have been in your ear, politely of course.

The ref Andre Marriner's bottled it on this occasion IMO.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

PeterGage said:

Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct covers "dangerous play". The law,, in relation to dangerous play, states

an opponent".

It is clearly down to individual referees to judge any such potential incident and thus one can only assume that in the Costa case, the referee deemed it wasn't dangerous. It seems the Swansea players agreed, in that I didn't see any of their players protesting.

And that is why there is so much inconsistency Peter, Costa's overhead kick was clearly dangerous play because he made contact with Naughton as I said earlier. I would like to think you would have given a free kick because if I'd been a Swansea defender I would have been in your ear, politely of course.

What a goal though. If I ever scored a goal like that I'd have it laser-engraved onto my gravestone.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Fiiish said:

RedChaser said:

PeterGage said:

an opponent".

What a goal though. If I ever scored a goal like that I'd have it laser-engraved onto my gravestone.
    Yep it was spectacular for sure albeit outside the laws of the game.

I just wonder if Marriner felt he needed to even things up because of the foul he missed on Cahill for one of Swansea's goals. After all he is 'human' but referees don't think like that though do they @PeterGage :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Fiiish said:

RedChaser said:

PeterGage said:

an opponent".

Yep it was spectacular for sure albeit outside the laws of the game.

I just wonder if Marriner felt he needed to even things up because of the foul he missed on Cahill for one of Swansea's goals. After all he is 'human' but referees don't think like that though do they @PeterGage :wink:
    I refuse to bite; take away your bait image
  • Options
    I ended up in hospital after my nose was on the receiving end of a beautiful overhead kick as a 10yr old from ex-Arsenal / QPR player Matthew Rose, playing on the lovely big pitch down the back of the old Royal Herbert Hospital at Shooters Hill, circa 1986.
  • Options

I ended up in hospital after my nose was on the receiving end of a beautiful overhead kick as a 10yr old from ex-Arsenal / QPR player Matthew Rose, playing on the lovely big pitch down the back of the old Royal Herbert Hospital at Shooters Hill, circa 1986.

was he lying down doing his overhead kick
  • Options

was he lying down doing his overhead kick
    Don't forget he holds all the Aces mate :wink: .
  • Options
    I asked this to a qualified referee who shall remain nameless but has officiated at our place on a number of occasions.

His words verbatim

'If there is a player going for the same ball which is above head height it is dangerous play and a foul, if there is nobody nearby then it's fine. That said it's all down to the opinion of the referee on the pitch at the time'

So Costas goal shouldn't have stood but if the referee wasn't seeing it all that well, it's ok

• Options
    Carter said:

I asked this to a qualified referee who shall remain nameless but has officiated at our place on a number of occasions.

His words verbatim

'If there is a player going for the same ball which is above head height it is dangerous play and a foul, if there is nobody nearby then it's fine. That said it's all down to the opinion of the referee on the pitch at the time'

So Costas goal shouldn't have stood but if the referee wasn't seeing it all that well, it's ok

I had to argue with a ref during a Sunday morning game a few years ago. The ball was about shoulder high, I could see the other guy was swinging at it but stupidly stooped to get my head on it.

Luckily I was ok but the ref was going to book the other bloke and I had to argue that I put my head down towards the ball and was more at fault than him.

Fuck knows why I did it, I was in the 6 yard box but we were about 3 or 4 down at that time so wouldn't have made much difference if he'd scored.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016

Carter said:

His words verbatim

I had to argue with a ref during a Sunday morning game a few years ago. The ball was about shoulder high, I could see the other guy was swinging at it but stupidly stooped to get my head on it.

Luckily I was ok but the ref was going to book the other bloke and I had to argue that I put my head down towards the ball and was more at fault than him.

Fuck knows why I did it, I was in the 6 yard box but we were about 3 or 4 down at that time so wouldn't have made much difference if he'd scored.

Pride Dave pride and a never say die attitude, us winners have it coursing through our veins :wink: .