Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bake Off Meltdown!

Heard a rumour on the radio tonight that the bake off is defecting to itv , how dare they!

Comments

• BBC has reached its soggy bottom.
  • I'm sure they will swiftly fuck it up, they usually do
  • Outrageous. I don't even know the code for Channel 4.
  • Stig said:

Heard this on Radio 4 news. How on earth is this newsworthy? Pathetic.

The biggest viewing figures last year so imagine a lot of people (not me) are interested.
  • Seriously the TV Companies are having to bid for the rights to normal programmes now?

Soon the BBC will just be a 24-hour Eastenders channel like the Truman Show!!
  • Seriously the TV Companies are having to bid for the rights to normal programmes now?

Soon the BBC will just be a 24-hour Eastenders channel like the Truman Show!!

When a programme is produced by an independent producer, then once the contract is up they have the right to go elsewhere
  • Still find it weird than Channel 4 can afford more than the BBC though
  • Sponsored links:

• the BBC makes less and less of its output every year .. as has been written, the makers now sell to the highest bidder .. still too many overpaid and overmanned departments to allow for big investment in programmes .. pity, the BBC for all its faults is still a British masterpiece
  • I thought this bidding war was announced about 6 months ago.

Shows how current my news knowledge is :(
  • Good. Don't mind bake off, but it needs to prove itself elsewhere. With the pressure that a huge initial outlay brings, I doubt it'll raise enough baking beans.

• Soon the BBC will just be a 24-hour Eastenders channel like the Truman Show!!

No complaints from me, stuff dreams are made of
  • So fucking what?
  • I was expecting this to be a thread about someone chucking their poor baking effort in the bin.

My memory is never as good as it was but I think there was some beardy guy who did that last year.

Was thinking there must be enough unstable types in this year's competition for it to happen again.

Look forward to the bake off contestant cross bar challenge though.
  • the BBC makes less and less of its output every year .. as has been written, the makers now sell to the highest bidder .. still too many overpaid and overmanned departments to allow for big investment in programmes .. pity, the BBC for all its faults is still a British masterpiece

The BBC is forced to buy a certain percentage of its programmes from independents, it has to meet a quota
  • My missus got back from her Secret Cake Club* meeting earlier. I imagine this news was the hot subject of the day...but you know the first rule of Cake Club.

*seriously, it exists.
  • Love Productions break off long, protracted negotiations with the BBC, then suddenly sign up Channel 4 a few hours later. This smacks of a 'Diarra Deal' to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Make no mistake... There are vast swathes of middle England that aren't allowed to watch anyone other than BBC. There will be some very angry letters appearing in the times soon, mark my words.

"Sir, Why oh why oh why..."
  • I like a bit of bake off
  • Never watched it never will.
    I'd always assumed the only reason this got made (like that dancing thing and the cooking jobbie) was because it was so cheap to make.
    Just said on Breakfast TV how it's had a big effect on the value of the home baking ingredients industry. So, that's a great thing in a country full of the fat getting fatter isn't it?
    We're coming apart at every nail.
  • It seems the Beeb offered £15mn a year, twice the current price but less than the £25mn the production company was demanding. A ludicrous amount of money for a tin-pot show.

Thinking further about this, it is clear that the programme would be nowhere at all without the Beeb commissioning it in the first place and then promoting it oh so very heavily. The production company have therefore benefitted enormously from the use of the Beeb's resources.

I'd love to see the old BBC contracts. Was there really no transfer clause like footballers have? Surely the Beeb which nurtured its development from nothing to superstardom deserves a 25% sell-on fee at least?
  • cafcfan said:

It seems the Beeb offered £15mn a year, twice the current price but less than the £25mn the production company was demanding. A ludicrous amount of money for a tin-pot show.

Thinking further about this, it is clear that the programme would be nowhere at all without the Beeb commissioning it in the first place and then promoting it oh so very heavily. The production company have therefore benefitted enormously from the use of the Beeb's resources.

I'd love to see the old BBC contracts. Was there really no transfer clause like footballers have? Surely the Beeb which nurtured its development from nothing to superstardom deserves a 25% sell-on fee at least?

It seems the only clauses is that the main Bake Off show won't be shown next year, just a charity celebrity one.

When the show was first commissioned, it was just meant to be a quiet BBC2 show, not the ratings juggernaut it's become. If C4 keep the same or similar viewing figures, they could have the most popular programme on TV which would be unprecedented

On the other hand, the BBC may commission a new format which steals the thunder, that's C4's risk.
  • I'd love it is the BBC started a show called Strictly Come Baking and put it on at exactly the same time as the C4 show!