Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oliver Dearlove

13»

Comments

• Options
    I think I can remember these two growing up around the Victoria Way/Cherry Orchard bit of Charlton. Even back then as early teens they were out of control and always involved in something.
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:

colthe3rd said:

lolwray said:

colthe3rd said:

Reading comments about cases like this I'm thankful that if I do ever face being jailed that the sentence is handed down by a judge rather than an angry mob.

so on the balance of the reporting that you have seen and the evidence you know of ,do you think thats a fair sentence ?
    I do not have all the evidence from the case and nor am I qualified in legal matters. I have to respect the judgement handed out by a judge. Any time there's a case that stirs up strong emotions in the public people will generally say "not long enough" when most of the time a judge has used precedence to sentence.
    Why don't you read up a little before posting on here then?

A politely, friendly bloke went out for a drink on an August bank holiday weekend and for no reason whatsoever a thug punched him in the head and killed him.

He may not have intended to kill him but he wanted to do him damage and when you punch someone there is always this risk.

His brother is insider for murder already, his unapologetic mother (who has raised 2 murderers) was at court goading the family when the murder verdict was announced so yes I do think "it's not long enough" when you bare in mind the amount of time he will actually serve.
    They sound like a scum family but his brothers crime and his mother's disgusting behaviour shouldn't have any impact on the killers sentence
  • Options
    Such a tragic loss of life ! RIP Oliver
  • Options
    Disgusting sentence in itself, never mind his previous violent history.
  • Options
    Heard his mum on TV tonight saying they should introduce a one punch law like in Australia, which has a minimum of 8 years.
  • Options

Heard his mum on TV tonight saying they should introduce a one punch law like in Australia, which has a minimum of 8 years.

The irony is that if he had tried to kill him and failed (ie attempted murder), he would have got a longer sentence than actually doing so.

It really is obscene that you can punch someone so hard you kill them instantly and get six years.
  • Options
    More needs to be done to raise awareness of one punch killings. For examples adverts in pub toilets sending a message of how fatal one punch can be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

More needs to be done to raise awareness of one punch killings. For examples adverts in pub toilets sending a message of how fatal one punch can be.

Something tells me in this case, an ad in the toilets wouldn't really have made much impact on the lunatic attacker
  • Options
    Two things I will say about the sentence.

Evidence suggests he did not intend to kill, so the sentence will reflect this.

We only have prison space for about 80,000 and I reckon judges bear this in mind when deliberating.
  • Options

Two things I will say about the sentence.

Evidence suggests he did not intend to kill, so the sentence will reflect this.

We only have prison space for about 80,000 and I reckon judges bear this in mind when deliberating.

But people get similar or sterner sentences for gbh.
  • Options

Just watched London news. I reckon his Mum, Joy Wright, will go on to make sure something will come out of this very sad loss. Be it the one punch law or some kind of awareness.

Horrible story. The story I posted earlier turned my stomach too. Spoke to a couple of people about the family a few months back living locally ... nothing nice obviously was said.

Heart goes out to all those affected.