Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Complete Works of Katrien Meire, Charlton CEO

edited September 2016 in General Charlton
( please note: there are a few key quotes missing from here , if anyone has got some of these recorded verbatim so we can attribute them accurately, can you put them up on this thread and I will put them into this opening post if need be. Let's please keep it to actual things Katrien Meire has said. Thanks everyone)

This is not intended as some sort of vindictive attack.

This is merely Katrien Meire, the Charlton CEO, in her OWN words.

We should judge her, of course, perfectly correctly, solely on what she herself has said, and what she has done:

When she first arrived:

"First of all I am a football fan - you cannot do this job if you are not a supporter,"

"But of course it is up to me to prove that I am talking common sense too."

"The Championship is full of clubs with history, but we felt Charlton has the potential to be a bit bigger than it is."

One of her first tasks was to deal with the overall management of the club, which she said "was in a mess".

"I shouldn't say this but I don't care about the history of the club". Interview in Belgian newspaper L'Echo late 2015.( The untranslated and infamous don't care comment about the history of the club is:

"Le passé glorieux de ce club? Je m’en fous" (as a headline) and the full quote in the text is:

"Je ne devrais pas le dire, mais je me fous de l’histoire du club.

with the prefix being translated as "I should not say this but.....(I don't care about the history of the club")

Immediately following on from her cinema/restaurant contrast analogy (at the Dublin summit) Meire continues verbatim:

".................they do it with a football club and that's very weird because they feel a sense of ownership of a football club...."

In the same televised event she states:

"fans don't see themselves as customers"

“My proposition would be a real unique football fan experience — and see hopefully the next stars of the Premier League, which we will have play for Charlton in the first team and then sell onto the Premier League.”

"Relegation is not an option".

"Each managerial change has proved right…and improved our ranking"

“I do not want to be responsible for a relegation.”

L'Echo 28rd Sept 2015

" He sees his clubs as his children." ( KM explaining Roland's absent father syndrome. He never attends matches.)

“Roland doesn’t do failure.”

“He does it his way and they need to accept that."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-chief-executive-katrien-meire-fans-must-accept-how-we-run-club-9981096.html
'Now is the time to judge us.'

"It is a bit out of reality, the Chris Powell quote, the manager picks the players. The owners recognises the manager picks the players on what he sees, if the players aren't performing the manager may put him on the bench. I can assure you that it is not the case that the owners or anyone else interferes"

“I would like him to be the next Sir Alex Ferguson,” said the Belgian, who says the immediate aim is to make Charlton competitive in the Championship. “I know people are a bit worried about the instability. But our recent actions have shown a sense of decisiveness and I hope that Guy will stay for a long time.”

Press conference, approx 15 Jan 2015

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-chief-executive-katrien-meire-fans-must-accept-how-we-run-club-9981096.html

About sacking Bob Peeters: “ a very difficult decision and we need to make sure this next appointment is the right one.”

“We will be starting a thorough search and recruitment process for a new Head Coach.”

“I negotiate myself all transfers".

L'Echo 28rd Sept. 2015

"I warned my staff for weeks it would be a disaster down in the third division."
(talking of the season when relegation was later averted under Riga).

L'Echo 28rd Sept. 2015

In 2016:

'We have done no planning for a relegation.'

(Which a few weeks later turned out to be rather negligent management)

QPR (H) - 6/8/15

"We have nowhere to hide, this is our team and now is the time to judge us"

Bolton (A) 19/4/16

Charlton are relegated.

"My first full year at Charlton Athletic has just come to an end and I’m now looking to take the next step with you, our supporters, and grow and develop the club further through 2015/16 and beyond. ….
Charlton is entering a new era!"

http://www.cafc.co.uk/documents/st-brochure-20151683-2306797.pdf

And then again strangely in 2016 history sort of repeats itself, it would seem...

"Our fans have so much to give, so much passion and energy and we haven’t done a good enough job working with them. We’re entering a new era at Charlton and looking at the way we work, both internally and externally."

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-fan-engagement-activities-3244859.aspx

Meanwhile..

“They were making fun of it on an online forum – me and the owner. There is so much abusive language now at The Valley – and that’s not part of football.

“The chants that are going around, it’s not promoting the sport, and the governing bodies have an interest in trying to stop that.

“When I started supporting football 15 years ago, whenever there was a black player, they would make noises. That has evolved, why can we not also educate fans towards respect of everybody in the game?”

12 May 2016, Telegraph Business of Sport Conference

“I've had extreme abuse, I've had criminal offences committed against myself, and I'm disappointed about governance in sport, that none of the governing bodies contacted me and stood up for the fact that things are not allowed, that's one step too far.”

12 May 2016, Telegraph Business of Sport Conference

Edit:

This summary video added following 3 blokes comment on 20 Sept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7BS_hQVZ_s

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Correction:

Apologies, the L'Echo quotes are from 28th Sept. 2015 not the 23rd.

The untranslated and infamous don't care comment about the history of the club is:

"Le passé glorieux de ce club? Je m’en fous" (as a headline) and the full quote in the text is:

"Je ne devrais pas le dire, mais je me fous de l’histoire du club.

with the prefix being translated as "I should not say this but.....(I don't care about the history of the club")
  • Keep posting and it will remain on Google Search no matter how many times she wipes it
  • The thread title is an oxymoron, surely.
  • Immediately following on from the ludicrous and flawed cinema/restaurant contrast analogy (at the Dublin summit) Meire continues verbatim ".................they do it with a football club and that's very weird because they feel a sense of ownership of a football club...."

In the same televised event she states:

"fans don't see themselves as customers"
  • edited September 2016

QPR (H) - 6/8/15

"We have nowhere to hide, this is our team and now is the time to judge us"

Bolton (A) 19/4/16

Charlton are relegated.

yet she hid behind the big bodyguard for much of last season
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    Needed thread. This should be stickied and arranged in a format easier on the eye.

Quick reference point thread for anyone who wishes to quickly read about issues at the club.
  • RanTooFar said:

Needed thread. This should be stickied and arranged in a format easier on the eye.

Quick reference point thread for anyone who wishes to quickly read about issues at the club.

Yes, I agree, it does not quite reflect the enormity of the comments she has made, in the way I have set it out at the moment.
    I will have another look tomorrow afternoon, but any ideas on how to make it look better and clearer are very welcome.
    I just want to present her words, in context where needed, to let them speak for themselves....
  • All of Dublin and Westminster, along with the powerpoint presentation are not a bad start. "The owner does not do failure." Not sure of exact words, but along the lines of "we have received offers, including one from Mr Varney, which would involve leaving The Valley and the owner realises how much it means to the fans," hijacking Slade's unveiling.
  • edited September 2016
    The infamous PowerPoint Meeting with fans in November 2015 reported by The Mail online recently as follows;

Meire chaired said forum in the Belgian owner's absence, kicking off with a 10-minute monologue as to how and why Charlton, then sleepwalking to League One, would grow. She signed off expecting applause; the room fell silent.
    What followed was an unmitigated disaster. The very first question, centred on strategy, was met abrasively by Meire - parroting questions back unhelpfully - and the night went progressively south.
    'You're mistaken,' she snorted. 'Who's in charge here?' Seeing club captain Johnnie Jackson - a genuine favourite - having to sit next to her staring blankly into the abyss was difficult to watch.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3736014/Charlton-Athletic-Q-club-told-fan-collect-season-ticket-behavioural-agreement-just-gone-wrong-Valley.html#ixzz4KGJu0izW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

She might well be in charge but she has certainly never been in control of the situation, be gone wicked witch of the west I say and take your SMT with you.
  • What did she say about the season ticket / post office fiasco?
  • Yes Katrien we are still laughing at you on an online forum!!!
  • Yes Katrien we are still laughing at you on an online forum!!!

And we will keep doing so every time you wipe your history :smiley:
  • *some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe.
  • stonemuse said:

Yes Katrien we are still laughing at you on an online forum!!!

Or should I use the full name Katrien Miere just to make sure it all comes up on Google!
  • stonemuse said:

Yes Katrien we are still laughing at you on an online forum!!!

Or should I use the full name Katrien Miere just to make sure it all comes up on Google!
    Using the full name of Katrien Miere is a good idea
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    Didn't we try 'Katrien Miere is incompetent and not fit to be the CEO of Charlton Althletic' around a thousand times and it made no difference?

Happy to go again though, it just seems so correct a statement to type.

*edit cannot manage to spell 'it'
  • Didn't we try 'Katrien Miere is incompetent and not fit to be the CEO of Charlton Althletic' around a thousand times and it made no difference?

Happy to go again though, it just seems so correct a statement to type.

*edit cannot manage to spell 'it'

Even if it makes no difference it still pisses her off, so well worth it.
  • Very good, I agree.

Katrien Miere is totally incompetent and is not fit to be a company director never mind a CEO. As CEO of Charlton Athletic she has managed to alienate a huge proportion of the fan base and she should be sacked immediately.
  • BUMP ... for google
  • edited September 2016
    This seems to be quite handy reference material. I would put it in the opening post but I don't think I can edit it in now, can I?
    CWadlan said:

• Is there a more accurate date for her quotes?
    Are they clustered around the same time of the month?

You Misogynist. (interesting point thou Smudge)
  • edited September 2016
    Thanks admin :smile:
    I think it's important that we accurately convey what Katrien Meire CEO of Charlton Athletic has said.
    People can then judge her fairly based exactly on her own comments.