Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 17 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    SDAddick said:

While we desperately need to avoid injuries in many positions, a minor injury to one of our CBs might be quite convenient...

Or a major one to RoJo...
    Is Rojo wasn't on the bench, how could we boo and abuse him every week :smile:
  • Options

This is quite an important game in terms of a win and we can claim a good start and a defeat or draw and we can say it has been a disapointing one! I think Slade has to be a bit ruthless - Konsa and Ajose need to move to the bench and Botaka and Bauer come in. Lookman should play centrally off Magennis. I expect Wimbledon to be a bit defensive, and that ought to suit an attack of Botaka, Lookman, Magennis and Holmes! Charlton disapoint more often than not, but I am expecting a comfortable victory!

Glad Akinfenwa isn't playing for them. When I worry about a player due to certain attributes, it is usually justified when they play against us.

I've said many times that I really like the idea of an attacking three of Holmes, Lookie, and Botaka floating around behind a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1. I think that, if done right, it could also suit our central midfielders well as all of our central midfielders like to start from deep. It would probably still be a "broken team," attacking with four and defending with six (with Ulvestad or JJ being the key link between the two), but it would hopefully encourage more interchange and fluidity. Botaka on the right would also give a nice natural width, and playing Lookman behind the striker would allow him to roam, get the ball, and make runs in behind defenders.

All that said, I suspect that even if Ajose is replaced (and I think it's a big if), it will be with Novak, and we'll play the 4-4-2/4-3-3 with Mcgennis just wide right of center akin to Saturday.
  • Options
    Magennis wins most of his battles. Personally, I'd use this quality and try to get mobile players playing off him. Novak is a good option from the bench as you can change approach if needed.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

You may well be right, although the counter argument would be that we paid so much for a player because Slade felt he could build a defense around him. Just because I'm not as overly exuberant about his abilities doesn't mean he's not good, and to be fair I haven't seen a full match this year.

Did we really pay 1.5m for him? I don't remember seeing that. Not quite sure that's where (CB) or who I would have spent that money on.

I'm not sure about the figures we paid for him... I think it was £1.5m as am sure I sure that mentioned a few weeks ago yet dont quote me on it as could well be wrong myself
    That was the rumoured amount on the 'Jason Pearce Done Deal' thread http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74270/jason-pearce-done-deal-3-year-deal-undisclosed-fee/p4

However he was in the last year of his contract at Wigan and Covered End Junior who is pretty good on this sort of thing doubted the £1.5m figure. SD Addick actually suggested that he was likely to be a replacement for Tex which was a good call however this never happened and big Russ has planned without the latter so far!

Pearce is favoured to start as he is big Russ' man unless injury or suspension intervenes and only then shall we see if Tex has gained favour because Konsa, Bauer and possibly even Lennon would appear to be ahead of him. Not my pecking order but just saying like.
    Pearce is also more of a leader for the back 4, as Bauer, Konsa and Lennon are young, while Solly (despite wearing the armband) is quite quiet on the pitch
    He (Solly) seemed quite vociferous to me when we conceded in the 4th minute last Saturday. He also never held back last season at the infamous 0-5 drubbing at Huddersfield when Riza got sent off for two reckless attempts at tackles in a five minute spell after coming on as a sub in the second half.

He tends to lead by example but is no shrinking violet and does his fair share of talking.
  • Options
    Great preview. Mentioned at the time that B&W was suggested, but has anyone from CARD got in touch with any Wimbledon fans about supporting the protests? Seems like it would be appropriate...
  • Options
    I know it sounds counter intuitive but as a very threatening player for us Lookman might best be deployed as a substitute.
    However starting Lookman at home is a decent shout too, possibly I mean he might be best deployed as a 60th minutes sub away from home.
    Excellent player that he is, he is still very young, and managing his progress as a player well, will also pay off for the first team overall.
  • Options
    I'd go

Rudd
    Solly, Konsa, Pearce, Fox
    Holmes, Ulvestad, Crofts, Lookman
    Ajose, Magennis

Phillips, Bauer, Chicksen, Botaka, Foley, Jackson, Novak on the bench.

3-1 to the Addicks, with Ajose scoring in the first half and immediately looking 10x the player
  • Options
    Traveled a long way for this fixture (first of the season for me) and will be attending with brother of grumpy, son of grumpy and two grumpy nephews. We will not be buying programmes and will buy our burgers at the usual van outside the Superstore, assuming they have not been banned or subject to some sort of Agreeable Burger Contract, in my absence.

We will all use the East stand gents at half time and enter via the exit door as a silent protest of dignified defiance.

Having paid £23-00 for my ticket and having been offered the choice of all except about four seats in the entire east stand, I am expecting Ms Nightmeire to deliver some decent entertainment on Saturday, as part of her longest and most disastrous gap year in the history of modern football.

I am a very dissatisfied customer but need to remind myself what a circus we have become under her stewardship.

0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-russell-slade-afc-wimbledon-3308766.aspx

Says that Johnnie Jackson is back in contention... Hopefully someone can ask Russell about Tex / Kashi tonight
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

You may well be right, although the counter argument would be that we paid so much for a player because Slade felt he could build a defense around him. Just because I'm not as overly exuberant about his abilities doesn't mean he's not good, and to be fair I haven't seen a full match this year.

Did we really pay 1.5m for him? I don't remember seeing that. Not quite sure that's where (CB) or who I would have spent that money on.

I'm not sure about the figures we paid for him... I think it was £1.5m as am sure I sure that mentioned a few weeks ago yet dont quote me on it as could well be wrong myself
    That was the rumoured amount on the 'Jason Pearce Done Deal' thread http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74270/jason-pearce-done-deal-3-year-deal-undisclosed-fee/p4

However he was in the last year of his contract at Wigan and Covered End Junior who is pretty good on this sort of thing doubted the £1.5m figure. SD Addick actually suggested that he was likely to be a replacement for Tex which was a good call however this never happened and big Russ has planned without the latter so far!

Pearce is favoured to start as he is big Russ' man unless injury or suspension intervenes and only then shall we see if Tex has gained favour because Konsa, Bauer and possibly even Lennon would appear to be ahead of him. Not my pecking order but just saying like.
    Pearce is also more of a leader for the back 4, as Bauer, Konsa and Lennon are young, while Solly (despite wearing the armband) is quite quiet on the pitch
    He (Solly) seemed quite vociferous to me when we conceded in the 4th minute last Saturday. He also never held back last season at the infamous 0-5 drubbing at Huddersfield when Riza got sent off for two reckless attempts at tackles in a five minute spell after coming on as a sub in the second half.

He tends to lead by example but is no shrinking violet and does his fair share of talking.
    Generally it's CBs who tend to organise the defensive line, as it's easier to do from the middle. I recall Tex telling Fox where to go (no not like that :smile:) last season

I agree that Solly is more demonstrative than he used to be, but then he's a "senior pro" now!
  • Options

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-russell-slade-afc-wimbledon-3308766.aspx

Says that Johnnie Jackson is back in contention... Hopefully someone can ask Russell about Tex / Kashi tonight

He doesn't mention either Tex OR Ba. Perhaps you need to remind him that we're paying their wages :smile:
  • Options

He doesn't mention either Tex OR Ba. Perhaps you need to remind him that we're paying their wages :smile:
    Christ yeah I forgot about Ba
  • Options
    2-1 home win
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton, they score in last 5 minutes but otherwise untroubled. Lookman to score first
  • Options
    I've been looking forward to this one since the fixtures were announced. For me, Wimbledon's play-off win at Wembley was one of the highlights of an otherwise miserable season and Saturday will be a momentous occasion. Hopefully, they'll bring a good following to help generate a bit of atmosphere amidst the blocks of empty seats.

I can't see Russell making any significant changes and wouldn't be surprised to see an unchanged side. At least, with the return to fitness of a number of players, he'll have options from the bench.
  • Options
    Actually think we'll win this fairly comfortable, 3/4-1 with them grabbing a late consolation. Holmes, Ajose, Magennis and Jacko.
  • Options
    2-0 and fairly comfortable at that. Looky and Jackson with a late nerve settler.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we'll struggle to a draw. I don't share the same confidence in our squad that some do as our central midfield is too pedestrian.

I'd start Novak and Mcgennis up top together.
  • Options
    AFC Wimbledon are a weak side - we clearly have better players. However.....they are used to winning + this will be a big game for them + they will do a lot of running around.

I'd be happy with 2-1.

Test of character for us: we need to get a win from home matches like this to be contenders. Same as last week, getting promoted is all about drawing away at Fleetwood when you're not playing that well.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I was looking forward to taking my 5 year old to this one. Working all day Saturday now so I expect it'll be a cracker. 4-3 to the Addicks, injury time winner.
  • Options
    first home game of the season for me feel dirty given that lot any money whatsoever. North Lower for the first time too. Roland out!
  • Options
    Will this be the first time we have played them?
  • Options
    3-1 Ajose hatrick
  • Options
    the first of a trio of potential tripwire games .. only saw the wombles on TV last year when they looked more skilful than I supposed they would be and they had and probably still have a great TEAM SPIRIT, the essential fuel for all successful endeavours

Next come two very difficult away games .. Scunthorpe are going great guns under a terrific youngish manager and a very ambitious owner and Oxford are looking good ..

anyway, back to Saturday .. I still have concerns about central defence and midfield .. move Konsa forward and bring in Bauer .. give it a try ..
    a win against a potentially underrated and historically fierce and committed club, albeit in a new reincarnation ..

CAFC 2 v Afc Wimbledon 1 and I hope that the protests don't spoil the party
  • Options
    A lot of confidence here and we all know what happens in Charltonland when there is a modicum of expectation?

"Thank you Sir, can I have another?"