Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ajose

How can a player go from a quality goal scorer to a player struggling for form who couldn't hit a barn door from 2 foot. All in the space of a summer.
I know people say play to his strengths but what are they? He is still missing chance after chance.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    The longer he goes without scoring at The Valley the harder it will get, after a couple of games I turned to my old man and said he won't score here til October, and it looks like I'll be right. Just isn't taking chances, reminds me of the first few games BWP played in the championship after our promotion
  • Options
    One very strange issue I found yesterday was that when Ajose was on the pitch EVERY cross into the box was high... Now from my observations Ajose cant jump so those crosses are being aimed solely at Magennis either to try and score or to try and provide a knock back for Ajose to tap it in (Which is what he is good at), sadly none of those high crosses resulted in the ball heading back to Ajose.

Yet then when Ajose went off, the ball seemed to be pinged into the box a lot lower i.e. both Solly and Lookman hit low passes into the box yet on both occasions no one was there to take advantage of which you'd surely expect Ajose to take
  • Options
    He needs a rest .. no confidence as he's not scoring .. he might not get back in if we go on a good run (I wrote IF) .. he was signed as the main provider of goals, a poacher, a sniffer, it's not happening
  • Options
    I think we all saw the video of his goals last season. Anyone seen the one with his misses though (And I don't mean his other half) - it might be a lot longer!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    dickplumb said:

Team for Tuesday
    Rudd
    Solly, Baeur, Pearce, Fox
    Holmes. Ulvestad, Crofts, Botaka,
    Lookman, Magennis

Subs Phillips, Lennon, Foley, Jackson, Novak, Ajose, Konsa

Still not sure that midfield will give enough cover to the back four Dick, still my old Grandad (had trials for Charlton as an amature) always used to say attack is the best form of defence.
  • Options
    He was pony yesterday - the only time i noticed him was when he was missing the goal.
  • Options

He was pony yesterday - the only time i noticed him was when he was missing the goal

Running off the pitch to be subbed.

• Options
    He will come good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Sadly, yesterday wasnt the only game he has been anonymous. He's been completely missing every game I have seen him. He was supposed to be our 20+ goals a season striker that you often need to win promotion and I expect he was our most expensive signing (I dont believe Pearce cost anywhere near £1.5m) so he's been a big disappointment.

Definitely needs to come out of the side and used as an impact sub until he finds his goalscoring boots. We have given him 7 games to do something now and Botaka or Novak deserve a chance instead.

Ajose needs to work on placement and getting his shots on target rather than just lashing at every attempt he gets. He has had decent chances.
  • Options
    Seems to spend most of the time wandering around like a spare part.
    When he did get chances he didn't do what we paid all the money for.
    Unless we start playing in a way that best utilises him then we may as well give his place to somebody else.
  • Options
    Still think he'll come good but might be time for him to make way for a bit. Novak and Magennis up top with Lookman in and around the box.
  • Options

Sadly, yesterday wasnt the only game he has been anonymous. He's been completely missing every game I have seen him. He was supposed to be our 20+ goals a season striker that you often need to win promotion and I expect he was our most expensive signing (I dont believe Pearce cost anywhere near £1.5m) so he's been a big disappointment.

Definitely needs to come out of the side and used as an impact squad until he finds his goalscoring boots. We have given him 7 games to do something now and Botaka or Novak deserve a chance instead.

Ajose needs to work on placement and getting his shots on target rather than just lashing at every attempt he gets. He has had decent chances.

He needs to get his head over the ball and shoot low, instead of leaning back and shooting over the bar. It works for Harry Kane.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Unless we start playing in a way that best utilises him then we may as well give his place to somebody else.

he's not helped by a lack of decent service from midfield .. our new tactic is long ball for a knockdown hoping that Ajose can get on the end of one or two .. that's not really his game
    Agreed, but he's had enough decent chances this season to be the top goalscorer in the league and if he'd taken them we'd all be happy and we'd also be near the top.
  • Options
    Maybe he's getting demoralised because he is not getting the supply of chances that he was expecting to get. No excuse I know, but it may be getting to him and making him snatch at any goal scoring opportunities that he does get. Things can change very quickly for strikers, sometimes it just takes a lucky deflection or a tap in. I remember Jason Euell being dire in his first few games and he turned into a great striker for us.
  • Options

he's not helped by a lack of decent service from midfield .. our new tactic is long ball for a knockdown hoping that Ajose can get on the end of one or two .. that's not really his game
    Drop Magennis and play along the carpet.
  • Options

You're not going to drop one of our better players. Just play the ball to his feet more often.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Looked very short on confidence at Fleetwood to me. Slade openly criticising him will not help - have a hunch he was not his signing.
  • Options

You're not going to drop one of our better players. Just play the ball to his feet more often.
    I've 'advocated' leaving both Magennis and Ajose out on Tuesday .. Lookman and Hayden Hanlan up front .. Magennis is ok but it's far too tempting to just keep banging balls up to him .. Scunthorpe has a big set of defenders and they'll lap up all the long balls we can provide .. we need guile and patience .. and, of course, a few more attempts on goal would not go amiss ..
  • Options
    Thing is Magennis has it in his locker to play with the ball at his feet as there were a few occasions when he controlled the ball really well running @ Wimbledon

Do have to mention one long ball though that he controlled right on a sixpence bringing it down out the air!!
  • Options

Thing is Magennis has it in his locker to play with the ball at his feet as there were a few occasions when he controlled the ball really well running @ Wimbledon

Do have to mention one long ball though that he controlled right on a sixpence bringing it down out the air!!

agreed .. the run and cross for (ironically) Ajose to score @ Walsall was exceptional .. problem is it has happened all too rarely in games I've seen
  • Options
    Give Novak a run
  • Options

I've 'advocated' leaving both Magennis and Ajose out on Tuesday .. Lookman and Hayden Hanlan up front .. Magennis is ok but it's far too tempting to just keep banging balls up to him .. Scunthorpe has a big set of defenders and they'll lap up all the long balls we can provide .. we need guile and patience .. and, of course, a few more attempts on goal would not go amiss ..
    I'd be amazed if we played 2 rookie kids up front, especially as Lookman was dead on his feet after 70 mins.

I think he'll start with Novak & Magennis or even just one of them up front and stick 5 in midfield.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I'd be amazed if we played 2 rookie kids up front, especially as Lookman was dead on his feet after 70 mins.

I think he'll start with Novak & Magennis or even just one of them up front and stick 5 in midfield.
    I always take the view that its better to start with 'unfit' or players who potentially burn out late in a game .. start them, wear them out and THEN bring on the Novaks of this world when we're two up (I can still have vivid dreams) .. Hanlan must be keen to prove himself and Lookman is wasted anywhere but pretty much playing up front .. I mentioned that the Scunny defenders are big n tough .. they're not especially quick though .. BUT CE I agree, Slade would rather wear a syrup than start with 2 kids up front
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

When that tosser Pardew was manager we bought a big Scottish striker called Chris Iwelumo whom, despite his size, preferred the ball to feet. In the one game against Sheffield Wednesday that we played to his feet he scored twice and created another thus turning a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 victory. Needless to say the twat Pardew then instructed everyone to lump it to his head which was meat and drink to big central defenders and another player was successfully neutralised / Charltonised.

Magennis can play to feet and looks effective when he does. We are physically a comparatively small team so should play to feet.
    Same thing used to happen with Leaburn and more recently Kermo, both of whom were very good on the floor. I don't know if it's a natural inclination to pump high balls into tall forwards, or whether it's on the instruction of the manager of the time.
  • Options

How can a player go from a quality goal scorer to a player struggling for form who couldn't hit a barn door from 2 foot. All in the space of a summer.
    I know people say play to his strengths but what are they? He is still missing chance after chance.

It happens in football. Why did Benteke flop at Liverpool, why have a series of expensive foreign strikers failed at Spurs...

It might be a confidence thing, but sometimes a player only is successful if a team plays to his strengths. It's notable that one of the reasons Vardy turned down Arsenal was that he felt he wouldn't suit their style of football