Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Rise and Rise of Charlton Athletic.- Mick Collins

I decided to again read this fantastic book.
It is amazing how re reading is really upsetting.
The first chapter is all about the Spirit of Charlton. Many statements like " a totally different" club. How the supporters are different to many other clubs.
The story of the rise to the Premiership and success there, is irrelevant to the story.
It was a great read when first written, now it is a " bible" for Charlton supporters.
By reading the book it demonstrates how wrong Roland has been. But , I think, more worrying is how he has put KM in as CEO and how her continued and numerous mistakes have ruined the club.
She is so out of her depth in running a club but far worse she has no idea what the heart of a football club is.
Read the first chapter and all the positives KM has reversed.
The sad thing is the protests at the end of last season were having an effect. The atmosphere at the Valley now is unable to generate such protests. The obvious conclusion is those of us that really care are not going.
The brigade that stroll in at 3.05 laiden with chips and hot dogs have no real concern for the club.
We cannot force RD and KM to read Mick Collins book, but they certainly should. As for the sycophants around them, they should know better.
What next, who knows. I despair until RD and KM go.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent book
  • Options
    A further point is how much praise is given to Richard Murray. He is described as the main reason for the success. Why did he support RD and KM for so long when he must have seen the destruction they were causing.
  • Options

A further point is how much praise is given to Richard Murray. He is described as the main reason for the success. Why did he support RD and KM for so long when he must have seen the destruction they were causing.

The only reason I can think of is that he must've thought the alternative was far far worse.
  • Options
    I will be hated for saying this, but I found the book to be unreadable.
    It seemed to me a poorly assembled mish mash of badly written passages with no particular structure.
    However it achieved it's aim because I spent money on it, and I put it down to experience, and somebody wanting to exploit the selling potential of the feel good factor around the club at the time.
    I got about 80% through before i gave up, possibly the best part is the last 20% but I will never know now.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Loved the chapter title "From Lansdowne Mews to Lansdowne Road" for the bit about Kins.
  • Options
    Careful Seth, Mick will be threatening to sue you.

I enjoyed it and not just because I'm in it.

It was a bit OTT in the gushing praise then. Now I imagine it would read like an eulogy.
  • Options
    I think Mr Collins came on here and slated the book himself in a very negative couple of posts about the situation.
  • Options
    I think there is a new chapter waiting to be written.
  • Options

I think there is a new chapter book waiting to be written.

Fixed it for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I guess title" The Fall and Fall of Charlton- the Roland Years"