Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Sensible Soccer Ratings

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sensible World of Soccer. The greatest game ever made. Ever. Ever. Ever. End of. Fullstop. Ever. It was doing FIFA management modes while EA sports were still trying to get to grips with stopping you from avoiding a red card by just running away from the ref and is still more playable than any football game have played before or since. Used to sell Leaburn or Bradeley Allen straight away and sign Tommy Mooney. 200K, fast and a goal machine. Within about 3 seasons of him banging in 20 plus I'd have Tony Yeboah up font, Abede Pele on the left and Fernando Redondo in midfield and I'd be basically unstoppable after that. https://youtu.be/ebj8OoaJME4?t=43m50s
    There are elements of the FIFA series that we don’t give as much credit as they deserve, for a variety of reasons. EA’s greed and laziness get in the way mainly. I’d argue ISS 98 is the greatest football game of all time, playability-wise (especially as there was a sure fire way to score in SS) but management wise it’s hard to beat SWOS. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Sensible World of Soccer. The greatest game ever made. Ever. Ever. Ever. End of. Fullstop. Ever. It was doing FIFA management modes while EA sports were still trying to get to grips with stopping you from avoiding a red card by just running away from the ref and is still more playable than any football game have played before or since. Used to sell Leaburn or Bradeley Allen straight away and sign Tommy Mooney. 200K, fast and a goal machine. Within about 3 seasons of him banging in 20 plus I'd have Tony Yeboah up font, Abede Pele on the left and Fernando Redondo in midfield and I'd be basically unstoppable after that. https://youtu.be/ebj8OoaJME4?t=43m50s
    There are elements of the FIFA series that we don’t give as much credit as they deserve, for a variety of reasons. EA’s greed and laziness get in the way mainly. I’d argue ISS 98 is the greatest football game of all time, playability-wise (especially as there was a sure fire way to score in SS) but management wise it’s hard to beat SWOS. 
    Your view resonates with me, just remember it as so innovative at the time.

As @Exiled_Addick described, how you played.in the game, how good your scores and goals and passes were in the playable game changed the value of your player in career mode. This is the concept of the career mode that remains basically same principle in FIFA today.

SWOS makes me think of Atletico Minerio and it was great world football and these wonderful names came alive. Hearts of Oak!

Was this the leap forward from its iconic predecessor in class, Player Manager on Amiga. That game was unreal as you had the genius that was Kick Off as the action game engine.

Best player in that ...dino dini the game dev if memory serves correct. 

I make you correct that ISS at its peak is playability perfected. However that is surely due, in part, to our shared nostalgia for halcyon days.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    There was a point in time where I was playing ISS 98 and SWOS basically at the same time. Two very different but nearly perfect football games!
  • Options

Winning the World Cup with Albania on SWOS career mode is my crowning achievement on any computer game ever. 

Funnily enough, Tommy Mooney would always be my first buy no matter where in the world I was playing.  Once put away 125 goals in a single season with him.
  • Options
    Just downloaded this on Xbox Gold free games or whatever it’s called. Can’t quite figure out all the player names... 

• Options
    Download a sega Megadrive emulator and the rom. It is pretty good on the Megadrive and you can play with USB joy pads on your pc or laptop.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Just downloaded this on Xbox Gold free games or whatever it’s called. Can’t quite figure out all the player names... 

Mike Salmon
    Anthony Barness
    Phil Chapple
    Stuart Balmer
    Jamie Stuart
    Shaun Newton
    Paul Mortimer
    John Robinson 
    Mark Kinsella 
    Carl Leaburn
    Bradley  Allen

Andy Pettersen
    Steve Brown
    Keith Jones
    Brendan O'Connell 
    David Whyte 

• Options
    Ahh Jones and O'Connell is where I was struggling. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Ahh Jones and O'Connell is where I was struggling. 

I've no idea who coach K Corbushlay is though ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that's Les Reed. 
  • Options
    Is Charlton Sensible any relation to Captain Sensible?
  • Options
    Is Charlton Sensible any relation to Captain Sensible?
    Captain Sensible actually provided the menu music for the original Amiga version of Sensible Soccer.