Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Being Roland Duchatelet: the real cause for concern

Roland Duchatelet has stated that he can only afford to spend 1.5% of his time on Charlton as this represents the sum of his investment.
This quote is being analysed on another thread and I suppose it might be thought perhaps of as evidence of the thinking of a hard-nosed businessman with no emotional connection to his portfolio of projects. Of course the appointment and delegation of senior positions at Charlton to those who have come to his attention by way of speculative e-mails, e.g. Meire and Driesen, gives the lie to the belief that Duchatelet is a sound businessman other than in the one area where he has proved to be successful – electrical components.

However, it is something else that Duchatelet said that perhaps should be of greater concern to us.
Duchatelet said that he would like to see fans of both sides coming together to watch matches without segregation.

This is where it gets worrying. Right at the start of his ownership of Charlton Athletic, Weggie Addick produced an analysis of Duchatelet as a man from what was known of him in public. This included of course his self-appointed foundation and leadership of the Vivant political party (and the very telling fact that Duchatelet attended the Paris anti-Vietnam war and anti-establishment protests and riots of the late 1960s.

I am the same age as Roland Duchatelet (69) and lived through that very charged period which left life-long influences on those involved.
In my view Roland Duchatelet is no businessman but an idealist of the most dangerous kind - he thinks he can change the world - or at least a bit of it.

His political movement was/is based on a fairer taxation system for all Belgians (fine, no bad thing – it’s just that it proved to be unworkable in a modern society and his party is now marginalised. He has a pan-European approach to football too which is, like his politics, based purely on his idealised vision of how things should be – the clubs all working together, happy, clappy, jolly good fellow.

In the case of Charlton he thought, arrogantly and mistakenly, that all the other clubs would buy-in to the level playing field created by Financial Fair Play being adopted and he (assisted by Meire) could persuade other clubs to change the landscape. Well, we’ve seen where that’s gone.

Duchatelet has watched on smiling benevolently since 1998 as his initially successful political party Vivant has now been reduced to the status of a less than influential movement or lobbying group. He is still the leader of Vivant.

Duchatelet has watched on since 2014 as his initially welcomed (admittedly not by all) investments and plans for Chartlton Athletic (including initially secretive player farm plans) have collapsed in disarray in a tidal wave of well documented monumental mistakes made across every area of the administration of the club, its relationship with the fans and on the footballing side (culminating in relegation).

Duchatelet will not IMO make business-like decisions in relation to Charlton – in his head he still believes that he can recreate the Summer of Love across Europe 50 years on.
This goes beyond delusion. So, it’s time to bring Duchatelet to his senses – but how? This is going to take a lot of time and work.

Comments

• Options
    Don't care what he says, wants, or does. I just want him out of Charlton!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    A good piece coyotejohn 1947.

"In my view Roland Duchatelet is no businessman but an idealist of the most dangerous kind - he thinks he can change the world - or at least a bit of it."

I could give you 600 million reasons why that is incorrect but i do agree with the sentiments you express.
  • Options

A good piece coyotejohn 1947.

"In my view Roland Duchatelet is no businessman but an idealist of the most dangerous kind - he thinks he can change the world - or at least a bit of it."

I could give you 600 million reasons why that is incorrect but i do agree with the sentiments you express.

ok,
    But two reasons why he isn't (at least in relation to CAFC)
    1. appointment of Meire as CEO
    2. appointment of Driesen as football recruitment scout
  • Options
    Can someone juxtapose pictures of the stadium crowds in L1 under Cash era with those of Douchebag? I think they might be good ammo for next phase of protests
  • Options
    @grapevine49 has recently posted a wonderfully erudite and insightful piece on the Duchatelet 'operation' in the 'RD sneaks out of the club' thread.
    If the rump Target 20k committee reject the analysis found there then I'm afraid there is no longer a place for them as credible representatives of the fans - if they had any credibility left that is.
  • Options

Can someone juxtapose pictures of the stadium crowds in L1 under Cash era with those of Douchebag? I think they might be good ammo for next phase of protests

origin-football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/a9/88/0,,10794~166057,00.pdf

origin-football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/aa/88/0,,10794~166058,00.pdf

Sorry, I've got numbers instead of poster paint and crayon.

These are for 2010-11, the Parky/SCP season where we finished mid-table (13th):

- 3rd highest average attendance in Division 3 (15,582 - behind Saints and the Massive)
    - 17th highest average attendance in the Football League
    - 2nd highest match attendance in Division 3 (24,767 - behind Saints)
    - 10th highest match attendance in the Football League

Hands up all those who think we might get close to matching those stats whilst RD and KM are in charge? We couldn't even manage those numbers last year in Div 2 ...
  • Options
    Can we find Jim Morrison (on the island that he is hiding on with Buddy Holly and Elvis) and get Jim to tell him that everything is fucked man, just don't bother as the Man has won?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@grapevine49 has recently posted a wonderfully erudite and insightful piece on the Duchatelet 'operation' in the 'RD sneaks out of the club' thread.
    If the rump Target 20k committee reject the analysis found there then I'm afraid there is no longer a place for them as credible representatives of the fans - if they had any credibility left that is.

Of course they will reject it, or at least they'll try to spin it a different way. Target 20k are nothing more than a handful of nobodies that believe they are somebodies, because they have a line to the CAFC hierarchy. The fact they are just being used by the SMT doesn't seem to faze them, so I doubt Grapevine's excellent post will touch them in any way at all. I can't help wondering if these people are either so stupid they don't see they are being used, or so lacking in self respect they are happy to let it happen. It's odd.
  • Options

Missed It said:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

Will see if i can weave this into the Brexit thread.
    Well it certainly sounds like something Boris Johnson would come out with (and pretend he wrote himself)

• Options
    Mametz said:

I have believed for a long time that neither pure profit nor pure footballing success was his main motivation ( see my posts passim). As the opening post suggests Roland views himself as a man on a mission to change society and, more pertinently, in our case as a man to change how football is organised and financed. He has chosen our club to be part of an experiment which if it fails, as it is doing, will do immense damage to Charlton.

How best to combat someone with a messiah complex is a real problem

He wants it to be more like rugby.....
  • Options

Mametz said:

I have believed for a long time that neither pure profit nor pure footballing success was his main motivation ( see my posts passim). As the opening post suggests Roland views himself as a man on a mission to change society and, more pertinently, in our case as a man to change how football is organised and financed. He has chosen our club to be part of an experiment which if it fails, as it is doing, will do immense damage to Charlton.

He wants it to be more like rugby.....
    Then he should bugger off and buy a rugby team.
  • Options
    The best way to piss him and Meire off quickly would be for all fans to turn up wearing Trump Caps. It would be like holding a cross to a vampire!
  • Options

The best way to piss him and Meire off quickly would be for all fans to turn up wearing Trump Caps. It would be like holding a cross to a vampire!

Make Charlton great again
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Dunno, take a leaf out of the Romans' book?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Beaten to the joke... by 20 minutes too. :(
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Mametz said:

Dunno, take a leaf out of the Romans' book?

Mind you, they only got rid of him for 3 days then he turned up again!