Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meditation/Yoga

2»

Comments

• Options
    I practice TM (Transcendental Meditation). Learned in 2001 - the official 4 event course (paid a percentage of my earnings at the time). Do 20 minutes morning and evening most days. Even after 15 years (and I did Buddhist mindfulness before 2001) its impossible to stop your mind wandering and thinking about all those things you've got to do! All you can do is gently stop the thinking and go back to your mantra and stay in the now. It feels great when you get it right and I will probably keep the practice up until my last breath. Over time it really calms you and all the experts (especially David Lynch) seem to think it helps with stress, post traumatic stress and staying focused. I would recommend giving any type of meditation a go - but don't expect any 'quick wins'.
  • Options

I've been meditating on and off for 20 years.

I still lose the will to do it and go weeks without it, but I always feel more sort of present and more aware of my own BS when I do it. I've been through periods of doing 2x 40 minute sessions a day. If you really want to get into it then http://gaiahouse.co.uk/retreats/group-retreat-programme/

is a good place to go in my opinion. They have silent weekend retreats. Challenging but I have always felt sad to leave.

Boredom is what your mind does to stop you letting go. It doesn't kill you to be bored for 20 minutes!

I agree with what people say about Headspace. Good grounding and very accessible.

You could go to a class at the London Buddhist Centre, but they are a bit culty and have a weird thing about their bogus guru. But their basic classes are fine.

PM me if you'd like further info.

Have been meditating on and off for about 5 years. Up until the last two years I would stop meditating when I felt OK then start again when I felt stressed. I now meditate daily and have been on silent retreats.

The main thing with mindfulness meditation (as the headspace app uses which had its roots in Buddhism) is that you can't do s 'wrong' or 'bad' meditation. Even being bored is fine - it's about being aware of your experience. I would really recommend going on a course to start with to get you into the discipline of meditating regularly and discussing stuff with others.

Mindfulness meditation had helped me in a number of ways and I would recommend it.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Dave2l said:

red_murph said:

cabbles said:

Try headspace the app (it's mindfulness). I started doing it recently

Another one for this.

Also actually going to a yoga class is completely different to You Tube. There are lots of different types though. I found it very relaxing, the one I went to was also surprisingly hard work in a good way, gives your body a right good stretch.

Might try this. Probably a better way of doing it.
    You can get 10, 10 minute exercises for free on the app. You do one a day, for 10 days. I do it in the morning on the bus. I've not got fully into yet but have taken the option to have 3 months subscription for 99p. If you do get into it PM and I'll try and send you the offer it still works
    Please tell us you're not a bus driver, cabbles !