Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v's Oxford match thread 24/9/16

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016

RedChaser said:

No, not understanding that team, looks much too defensive.

Manager happy with the last performance so goes again with same game plan. After Fleetwood can't blame him for wanting to get a foothold in the game, plenty of opportunity hopefully later on in the game to win it.
    Manager happy with 0.0 draw so changes back four and picks no one that can score.

Perfect.
    Did you go to Scunny? No I thought not. Read what I said 'PERFORMANCE' not the result of course he wanted to win it. Pearce is an enforced change ffs strewth give me strength.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    as said above Pearce is injured.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Manager happy with the last performance so goes again with same game plan. After Fleetwood can't blame him for wanting to get a foothold in the game, plenty of opportunity hopefully later on in the game to win it, IF he makes attacking subs ealier enough!
    That never works. In reality what always happens is we are two down at half time and the changes make a difference but come too late.
  • Options
    See the negative Nancy's are already out in full force today! 1-0 win
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Manager happy with the last performance so goes again with same game plan. After Fleetwood can't blame him for wanting to get a foothold in the game, plenty of opportunity hopefully later on in the game to win it, IF he makes attacking subs ealier enough!
    That never works. In reality what always happens is we are two down at half time and the changes make a difference but come too late.
    Let's wait and see shall we.
  • Options
    Are Oxford really that good we need to start with a defensive away setup?

I just don't know. I'd have thought a slightly more attacking team could have taken them apart.

• Options
    Relax Foley will tear them a new one
  • Options
    Mid table ambitions.

I hope to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Manager happy with the last performance so goes again with same game plan. After Fleetwood can't blame him for wanting to get a foothold in the game, plenty of opportunity hopefully later on in the game to win it.
    Manager happy with 0.0 draw so changes back four and picks no one that can score.

Perfect.
    Did you go to Scunny? No I thought not. Read what I said 'PERFORMANCE' not the result of course he wanted to win it.
    Sadly points are not awarded for performances or excuses or idiotic team selection.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Perfect.
    Did you go to Scunny? No I thought not. Read what I said 'PERFORMANCE' not the result of course he wanted to win it.
    Sadly points are not awarded for performances or excuses or idiotic team selection.
    Righto you carry on wallowing in your grumpiness don't mind me :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    sam3110 said:

I know Crofts and Foley are defensive players but it's harsh to call them "Nancy's".
  • Options
    I think that team & bench selection tells you all you need to know about Slade......never managed that how up (Cardiff being the highest & he wasn't there long) and has no attacking nous about him.......and I thought Curbs was defensive.... Jeez

I reckon the 7 on the bench would do a better job than the 11 on the pitch. We can only use 3 subs, so at least 1 out of Ajose,Novak,Bataka and Holmes will not play any part .

MAD
  • Options
    The next post on this thread will be a positive one.............
  • Options
    Talal said:

He had a good game Tuesday so you never know.
  • Options

The next post on this thread will be a positive one.............

RedChaser said:

Talal said:

He had a good game Tuesday so you never know.
    Nearly right.
  • Options
    First Grumpy now Golfie, looks like we've lost this before a ball has been kicked. I need a lie down.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

First Grumpy now Golfie, looks like we've lost this before a ball has been kicked. I need a lie down.

KEEP LOOKING UP.
  • Options

Mid table ambitions.

I hope to be proved wrong.

Inclined to agree. I do think it's good that we are playing three in central midfield as 1) we have good wide players and 2) I don't think we have two central midfielders good enough to not get overrun when we play a 4-4-2.

That said, we're starting with four central midfielders again, and I think that is in large part down to our lack of quality there. The problem with four central midfielders is we have one winger, whereas right now, with three fit wingers that's easily of strongest point of chance creation. I know Slade likes to play 4-4-2 with one winger and one narrow midfielder, but 4-1-4-1 with one winger? I'm not certain it's that necessarily against a middling side.

I'm more open minded than some about about the 4-1-4-1, I think it can be negative but it can also allow us to control the midfield, but the problem is, as always, apart from getting it to Lookman for something magical, where does chance creation come from? Do we have a central midfielder who can pick a pass or two to really stretch and open up a defence? Maybe Ulvestad, maybe.

To be fair, I've been a huge critic of his but it sounded like Foley did much better in a more advanced role on Tuesday, and going on the highlights it looked like he had some clever movement and good touches.

This has turned into a rambling and self-contradictory post. This type of team/set-up is more like what I expected from Slade when he took over, solid at the back and looking to hit teams on the counter or maybe wear them down. My concern remains has he coached the patterns of play, the types of possession, ways to build patiently from the back instead of just lumping it that are really crucial to playing with so many central midfielders. I think today will be interesting, and might provide some good insight into the rest of our season, at least tactically.

Lastly, happy to see Lennon play, he has a bit more pace than Bauer or Pearce (not hard). Part of me thinks that despite the fact that we paid a decent wedge for Pearce and that he seems to be first name on the team sheet, this may actually be our strongest back four until Tex is back to fitness.
  • Options
    What was the point in signing Botaka? Not playing him now and he will be off to the African Nations in a few months time!
  • Options
    Expected an unchanged XI after Tuesday. Pearce head injury forced RS to change
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

The moaning Minnie's will be along later, they're still on the Brexit thread!
  • Options
    We're going to tear um a new a****one
    Were going to absolutely terrify them
    Coyr
    Make my day
  • Options
    Away allocation sold out - 1500 there if everyone turns up. Good turnout I think.
  • Options
    Can see my tenner heading off into the distance... Never bet on Charlton Soapy, never bet on Charlton Soapy, never...

That's a depressing lineup Brussell.

C'mon you Addicks!
  • Options

Away allocation sold out - 1500 there if everyone turns up. Good turnout I think.

Our away support will be bigger than our home soon. Now that really would be embarrassing for Katy.
  • Options
    Teams are on the way out....COYR's!!!!
  • Options
    Apologies for any spelling mistakes or typos
  • Options
    Teams coming out.

When the Red Red Robin
    Goes bob bob bobbin’
    Along, along,
    There’ll be no more sobbin’
    As he keeps throbbin’
    His old, sweet song,
    Wake up! Wake up, you sleepy head.
    Get up! Get up get out of bed.
    Cheer up! Cheer up, the sun is red.
    Live, love, laugh and be happy!

What if I feel blue?
    I’ll go walking through
    Fields of flowers.
    Rain may glisten, but still I listen
    For hours, and hours.
    I’m like a kid again,
    Doing what I did again,
    Singing this song,
    When the Red Red Robin
    Goes bob bob bobbin’ along!
  • Options
    Their bloke has said 'good travelling support actually'.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!