Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best sports film

Comments

• Options
    The obvious ones are Raging Bull, Slapshot, and This Sporting Life, but I'd add the original Burt Reynolds Mean Machine to that list.
  • Options
    Friday Night Lights
    Any Given Sunday
    Mike Bassett
  • Options
    When Saturday comes
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Kes has one of the best football scenes in movies. Len Glover back of the net!
  • Options
    Someone has already said Senna - that gets my vote, along with Le Mans.

Le Mans isn't a great film, but it does manage to give you an idea of what that iconic race is all about.
  • Options
    Sports films (that aren't documentaries) have the deck stacked against them from the outset, because they're not real sport and so the narratives don't compel, unless they're simply retelling something that really happened.

As documentaries go, I saw Pumping Iron the other day and it's lovely. Arnie really was always a star, wasn't he?
  • Options
    Field of dreams
    Bull Durham
    Eight men out

For dumb entertainment: Major league.
  • Options
    Loved the Rocky films back in the day and of course Cool Runnings.
  • Options
    The dammed United
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Senna, if documentaries are allowed.
    I also thought Rush was a good film. Tried to get into the heads of F1 drivers like Lauda and Hunt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bull Durham
    Field of Dreams
    The Games
    Raging Bull
    The Club
    The Damned United
  • Options
    No surprise it's had many mentions already as it stands alone for me as the greatest sporting film ever made, in fact one of the greatest films ever made - Raging Bull.
  • Options
    Love Actually
  • Options
    Gregorys girl
  • Options
    Big lebowski
    Rush
    Senna
    Enjoyed any given Sunday as a kid
    Escape to victory
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Sports films (that aren't documentaries) have the deck stacked against them from the outset, because they're not real sport and so the narratives don't compel, unless they're simply retelling something that really happened.

As documentaries go, I saw Pumping Iron the other day and it's lovely. Arnie really was always a star, wasn't he?

On the topic of sports documentaries, Hoop Dreams is absolutely brilliant. It's a film about high school basketball players trying to make it to university and then the pros. It's been a long time since I've seen it but if you can track it down it's definitely worth it.
  • Options
    Strangely I thought Moneyball was quite boring. My all-time favourite is The Damned United. I also loved Cinderella Man, Rush and The Greatest Game Ever Played. I knew nothing about golf, was never interested in it yet totally enjoyed The Greatest Game Ever Played. It was surprisingly good.
    Ben18 said:

Friday Night Lights
    Any Given Sunday
    Mike Bassett

Friday Night Lights is one of my favourite TV shows but I've never got around to watching the film...
  • Options
    Chariots of Fire
    Seabiscuit
  • Options
    My favourites are,

The blind side
    Southpaw
    50 to 1
  • Options

Chariots of Fire
    Seabiscuit

If you like sea biscuit watch 50 to 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Closer to the Edge: Isle of Man TT
    Senna
  • Options
    Bend it like Beckham
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Senna

"Road" is really good, in case you've not seen it. Very emotional.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    In no particular order

Senna
    Rush
    Goal! (Only the first one)
    When Saturday Comes
    There's only one Jimmy Grimble
    Mighty Ducks Series
    Rookie of the Year (Loved that film as a kid)
    Invincible
  • Options
    Le Mans (Steve McQueen)
    Escape to Victory
    Rush
    Senna
    Mean Machine (the Burt Reynolds original)
  • Options
    The Program.

Its not a documentary (as such) and is about the fight from David Walsh to prove that Lance Armstrong was cheating throughout the Tour de France years and is very good... Its not just about the cycling either as there is a scene when Armstrong visits some children at hospital who are all suffering from cancer, he is about to leave and there is one child he missed who is really suffering from the illness and stops to spend time with him.

Might not be have happened and not much gets to me (especially film wise) but that gets right to me!!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Greenie said:

Senna

"Road" is really good, in case you've not seen it. Very emotional.
    Good call . Great film
  • Options
    Major League with Charlie Sheen.
  • Options
    I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told "I believe in Miracles" is very good
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016
    Cinderella Man Russell Crowe is excellent against the odds success.
    Raging Bull
    Senna
    Blindside
    Moneyball

Not seen Road or the The Damned United yet but will definitely check them out. Good tips.

There was a good movie about the a non league team that beating an Italian team in one of the early European competitions. Can't remember the name.