Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stan's rant

Apologies if posted elsewhere but an excellent rant from Collymore and a name check for the Addicks too.

betting.boylesports.com/football/bigsamgate-is-proof-football-has-lost-its-soul

Comments

• Options
    Well said Stan.
  • Options
    Nice one Stan
  • Options
    Fair play to Mr C, my big worry is the supposed loved by all game is now seen, post Allardyce era, as a total global laughing stock.
  • Options
    For " Beautiful Game " , now read " Ugly Game".
  • Options
    Good article, didn't really like him as a player but he tells it as it is now. Good idea about sending him a shirt - maybe you should put the SLP article about Mowgli in the post to him too.
  • Options
    Ive put a message out on his FB page hopefully he will read it.
  • Options
    Not a massive fan of his , although recall him giving it to the scum after scoring for Southend years ago so he ain't all bad !

His words are pretty good in this article , sad times
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Like most people have already said, I have never been a fan of Stan, but he talks more and more sense about the state of our game. He also puts his neck on the line with his comments. Well said, Stan, pictures of last night's crowd show what is happening to clubs around the country when people see it as their 'little project' but know/care nothing about the game or community.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he was a brilliant player but a flawed character .. seems he is now reformed as a poacher turned gamekeeper .. terrific article that needs greater exposure .. but I doubt if any of the national papers will pay it much heed
  • Options
    He is spot on. The game is now riddled with greed and the gap in quality between league one and the championship is ever widening. I love the game but over the last few months I am beginning to lose interest. Not just because of the w*****s running our club but also with football in general.
  • Options
    Been watching football for about 25 years now, and its always been full of greed, alcoholics, gamblers and wife beaters. Its just now on a grander scale. Kids dumped when not good enough at 16, agents taking backhanders etc its full of shit at times. 'Football's lost its soul' like it was a squeaky clean beautiful game to begin with is a load of crap imo
  • Options
    Kids have always been dumped at 16, that's not the bigger problem, it's kids being told at 8 they're the next superstar and then getting dumped at 10, some to never play the game again
  • Options
    Simply for me the rise in money and earnings in the game in the last 20 years does not correlate to the product being experienced by a match going fan.
  • Options
    Why does everyone feel compelled to preface their comments with their personal opinions of Stan? The only other person that draws anything like the amount of comment is Jim Davidson. I think there's some underlying fear going on here - ooh, if I don't criticise him people with think I'm a misogynist.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Why does everyone feel compelled to preface their comments with their personal opinions of Stan? The only other person that draws anything like the amount of comment is Jim Davidson. I think there's some underlying fear going on here - ooh, if I don't criticise him people with think I'm a misogynist.

I'm not racist but.....
  • Options
    Stig said:

It wasn't even the domestic violence that made me dislike him though, I just felt he was a bit of a tool to be entirely honest. His politics on Twitter seemed a bit skewed, he was very opinionated - like I am admittedly - but in a way I didn't like. He's definitely a marmite character!

That's why I would preface my opinion on his article with "I've never liked the chap, but...". I genuinely went in to the article having prejudged it with my opinion of the man himself, I must say that he is spot on though.

Surprisingly I've began to take quite a liking to him, ever since I heard him talk about our plight. His stance on Murdoch's empire has also given me a great deal of respect for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's bang average players earning ridiculous money whist we pay sky high prices. That was not the case in the past to the extent it is now. There is a much much greater disconnect between player and Joe blogs.

I can see what you mean, and the ridiculous thing is that there's now so many different ways to connect with the players.

We probably see more of the players than ever before: social media, extended videos online etc.