Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Heading for Florida?

Or anywhere else on the U.S. East coast in the coming week. Might want to postpone your trip until Hurricane Matthew has been and gone. Looks like bad trouble in Florida and as far North as Boston eventually. Bad damage in Cuba already, the Bahamas next.

Comments

• Was thinking of going to the new forest for the kids half term, do you think we will be OK?

Take an umbrella.
  • Was caught in a hurricane in Florida some years ago.
    Stuck in a swaying hotel for 24 hours with tree branches and all sorts of debris flying past the window.
    Curfew declared which made it impossible to move outside the hotel room, which rain water poured in through the bowing windows and ceiling.
    The force of wind blew the air-con unit into the room leaving a gaping hole.
    All a bit hairy.
    24 hours later drove down the turnpike to Miami and down the keys.
    The worst part was encountering huge traffic jams caused by folk returning after evacuating their homes.
    The weather after the hurricane past was extremely hot and humid.
    On the plus side I was able to negotiate good rates for hotels in Key West as many visitors had canceled due to the hurricane.
    Fond memories (no pain no gain).
  • Heading to Orlando next Thursday for a few days - hope it's all calmed down by then
  • Swisdom said:

Heading to Orlando next Thursday for a few days - hope it's all calmed down by then

Tell the pilot to come in from the South, otherwise you may not land until Saturday

• Swisdom said:

Heading to Orlando next Thursday for a few days - hope it's all calmed down by then

Don't worry Swisdom, wind or no wind, all will be fine in Orlando. Much more exciting than watching the rain in the New Forest!!!
  • Yep. Will be in Miami Friday. Brill.
  • Swisdom said:

Orlando won't be affected. Maybe wet though.

Do you intend to drive down the keys?
  • Sponsored links:

• Heading to Tampa then Orlando from Monday, flying from New York though, hope it's all calmed down.

Do you intend to drive down the keys?
    No. Plan was to spend the weekend in South Beach. I'm in Dallas now. Maybe we'll be forced to stay here.

• Swisdom said:

I'm not there for the theme parks so that's no big deal. I did however hire a Ford Mustang convertible for the trip and if I can't get the roof down shits going to get real

• Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I'm not there for the theme parks so that's no big deal. I did however hire a Ford Mustang convertible for the trip and if I can't get the roof down shits going to get real

It may not been the rain that prevents you from getting the roof down but the heat.
    You will probably need the air con blasting cool air as the outside temp. and humidity could be very high after the hurricane has passed.
    You will have a great time (and lower the roof) i'm sure.
  • Orlando now under hurricane "watch".