Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EFL - £2.25m incentive for clubs promoting academy players

RD and KM will be delighted.
The EFL has today announced a new £2.25m financial incentive for its 72 clubs which aims to assist in revitalising the fortunes of the England national team.
EFL Futures will help clubs to develop more young players within the EFL and provide direct financial rewards to clubs who regularly promote home grown players from their academies into the first team.

A sum of £750,000 per season is being made available for the next three years to reward those Clubs who provide starting opportunities in EFL league fixtures for home grown players under the age of 21 and are qualified for England (or Wales for Cardiff and Newport).

The announcement is part of the EFL’s multi-faceted strategy that was created following the release of former FA Chairman Greg Dyke’s England commission report in May 2014, which focused on the need to produce more and better home grown the players.

The EFL already plays a big part in player development, with 14 of the Euro 2016 England squad at last summer’s tournament in France having once been registered at EFL academies. However, this latest initiative is evidence of the ongoing work that is taking place to increase the opportunities available for young, up and coming players.

The introduction of the format changes and the introduction of Category 1 teams in the newly-named Checkatrade Trophy kick-started the EFL’s work in this area earlier this season and, following on from today’s financial injection, will be a focus on increasing the number of club grown developed players.

Shaun Harvey, CEO of EFL, said: “The EFL has, quite rightly, been deeply engaged in playing our part in resolving some of the key issues that were identified in the England commission report. Our challenge was ensuring we looked to address these issues in a way that worked for the EFL and our clubs.

“We are acknowledging the fact that a high performing England national team is good for the game as a whole in this country and we are therefore committed to doing everything we can to help the national team develop. I hope today’s announcement is further evidence of the EFL taking the initiative and trying to help find their part of the solution to what is a collective problem.

“To date, our highest profile initiative is the introduction of Category 1 teams in the Checkatrade Trophy and despite some of the negative attention that has almost appeared to engulf the competition, it has provided an opportunity for over 200 under-21 players to be involved in competitive football as well as providing the financial incentive the competition required for League One and League Two clubs. These opportunities didn’t exist previously.

“Clearly, there is still plenty of work to be done in this area but the provision of these additional funds through EFL Futures ensures we are on track with our commitment to make a significant, valuable and lasting contribution to the future fortune of the England national team.”

Read more at http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-futures-efl-creating-more-and-better-home-grown-players-3349514.aspx#HSTvZopJdIqCfChg.99

Comments

• edited October 2016
    It's well intentioned, but as with most measures aimed at promoting youth football and footballers, it doesn't strike me as being massively effective. I'd rather they put that 2.5m into educating academy players so that they're prepared for a life outside of football, as most are unlikely to ever play professionally or even semi-professionally.

I'm also not convinced that the difference between success and non-success (or the status quo if you will) for an England team will be the difference between EFL teams promoting their fringe youth players.

I think the change that needs to take place is root and branch, and I do think it's happening to some degree, but those are changes that take decades to bear fruit and don't make for sexy headlines.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/28/fa-coach-youth-award
  • Will it be enough to replace all those dropping out of Valley Gold?
  • So what they're saying is that now when a manager tells Roland our squad is too small, on top of his current reticence to spend on a full squad, Roland will also be financially incentivised for telling the manager to use the Academy players whether they're ready or not. Super.
  • edited October 2016
    I'd rather they put that 2.5m into educating players so that they're prepared for a life outside of football, when they've retired from Charlton's central midfield.

• edited October 2016
    The issue in the football league is not that young players aren't given a chance, loads of clubs give young players plenty of chances at first team level and make youth development a big part of their MO.

The problem is the Premier League. It's become too rich relative to the rest of the league. Its helped drive up costs in the EFL but not income. Clubs in the EFL increasingly have to sell to make ends meet and increasingly clubs in the Premier League are happy to stockpile players they have no real intention of ever playing.

A few quid to 'encourage' teams to blood youngsters will make absolutely eff-all difference to anything.
  • Good thing similar incentives are given to clubs who give promising youngsters starts in competitions such as the EFL Trophy.

Oh wait...
  • The issue in the football league is not that young players aren't given a chance, loads of clubs give young players plenty of chances at first team level and make youth development a big part of their MO.

The problem is the Premier League. It's become too rich relative to the rest of the league. Its helped drive up costs in the EFL but not income. Clubs in the EFL increasingly have to sell to make ends meet and increasingly clubs in the Premier League are happy to stockpile players they have no real intention of ever playing.

A few quid to 'encourage' teams to blood youngsters will make absolutely eff-all difference to anything.

From what I've read part of Chelsea's business model is to keep young players they only really intend to sell on for profit.

Isn't the idea of EPPP to give the best young players access to the best coaches and facilities? Yet if they're being loaned out season after season, especially abroad, they not going to get that coaching.
  • Sponsored links:

• 10k probably wouldn't cover the % of one weeks wage we are subsidising for those out on loan.
  • Got to laugh if Luton get fined for playing their young players in the stupid cup.
  • Is that meant to be per club?
  • If it's not £750k per club per year, it's a complete and utter waste of effort.
  • KM and Roy have their own cash incentive for promoting youth it is called flogging them as soon as anybody shows an interest.
  • SDAddick said:

It's well intentioned, but as with most measures aimed at promoting youth football and footballers, it doesn't strike me as being massively effective. I'd rather they put that 2.5m into educating academy players so that they're prepared for a life outside of football, as most are unlikely to ever play professionally or even semi-professionally.

I'm also not convinced that the difference between success and non-success (or the status quo if you will) for an England team will be the difference between EFL teams promoting their fringe youth players.

I think the change that needs to take place is root and branch, and I do think it's happening to some degree, but those are changes that take decades to bear fruit and don't make for sexy headlines.

It'd be better spent by giving it to Kick it out.
  • iainment said:

SDAddick said:

It'd be better spent by giving it to Kick it out.
    There is enough money in the game that they could give a lot more to Kick It Out (and should) AND into better educating youth players and preparing them for a life outside football!
  • Good piece in the Standard today about the England Under 20s reaching their World Cup final and the part played by Lookman in yesterday's win over Italy. Praise for the Charlton Academy and a mention for Konsa who made his debut.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have identified a better scheme and presented it on here in the past. Every player who plays for England who came from an English club not in the Premier League or in receipt of parachute money should earn that club £1m from a Premier League pot for every 10 internationals they play. Now that would be a genuine incentive!
  • The new commitment will provide:

- £720,000 (£10,000 per club) towards additional costs associated with operating scholarship schemes;

This is pathetic. I doubt it even covers the cost of kit and away travel to games. Who the fuck sat down and decided this was even worth it?