Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TESCO V UNILEVER .. The Marmite Wars

2»

Comments

• Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

As someone else said its much ado about nothing. When Mummy Pig and I were a pair of poverty pigs the only way we could make ends meet was to buy white-label/home-brand items and the items are not as bad as many people make out.

The Tesco everyday value cornflakes are 29p and I really like them. Might not be as tasty as Kellogs and you don't get the impression of a cartoon cock regurgitating into your bowl but there is no way they're worth nearly £3 more.

I can see why Tesco and Unilever would have these arguments though. Plenty of fools out there who only buy branded shit.

check out Martin Lewis's 'MoneySaving' website for good reviews/opinions on own label food products ..
    Own label v branded product .. a bit like the argument that when you buy a pair of Nike (other major brands are available) trainers, you're paying £50 for the 'tick'
  • Options

"I saved 3p on my shopping by comparing cling film prices on Moneysaving.com"

it's a start ((:>)
  • Options
    The real question is, who is going to pay more or has Unilever and Tesco decided keep the status quo for the time being.

The likes of the German supermarkets will probably increase their prices as well, I doubt they buy in pounds from the continent.

I think the consumer will find price rises passed onto them as is the norm.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

There's nothing to worry about, we just have to import Vegemite from the commonwealth instead ;-)

Its not the same.
    People often think it is but it isn't quite right.
    I was in New Zealand this summer and, on the advice of a Kiwi mate, tried the New Zealand Marmite. He told me it was MUCH better and once I'd tried it, I wouldn't go back.
    He was wrong. Not only is it made by someone called "Sanitarium" which doesn't exactly get the tastebuds going, it also tastes fucking disgusting.
    Avoid at all costs. It is the devil's jizz.
  • Options

"I saved 3p on my shopping by comparing cling film prices on Moneysaving.com"

Every little helps!
  • Options

There's nothing to worry about, we just have to import Vegemite from the commonwealth instead ;-)

Its not the same.
    People often think it is but it isn't quite right.
    Marmite is tar like
    Vegemite is clay like

Marmite is a lot stronger tasting than it's lighter flavoured Australian cousin.
  • Options
    A while back I popped into a café for some toast with marmite on near to where I work in the West End. The girl who served me asked if I liked marmite,( a bit strange as I asked for it on my toast), of course I said. She then proceeded to put the marmite on my toast with a spoon as thick peanut butter.
  • Options

A while back I popped into a café for some toast with marmite on near to where I work in the West End. The girl who served me asked if I liked marmite,( a bit strange as I asked for it on my toast), of course I said. She then proceeded to put the marmite on my toast with a spoon as thick peanut butter.

Why do these people not understand how it's done, thin layer spread across the whole of the toast.

It's no wonder people don't like it if they have that much at a time.
  • Options

"I saved 3p on my shopping by comparing KY prices on Moneysaving.com"

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If she winked when she said it, she probably wasn't talking about your breakfast.
  • Options
    me sister wont, me daughter wont, me wife wont, but me ma ? .. she mite
  • Options

The real question is, who is going to pay more or has Unilever and Tesco decided keep the status quo for the time being.

The likes of the German supermarkets will probably increase their prices as well, I doubt they buy in pounds from the continent.

I think the consumer will find price rises passed onto them as is the norm.

It wouldn't surprise me if any price hike in future will be blamed on brexit whether or not it is to do with the vote. Soon to become an easy excuse for charging us more.
  • Options

If she winked when she said it, she probably wasn't talking about your breakfast.
    I was too hungry to notice. But if you knew me you'd know that's not the sort of thing that gets offered to me, ever.